X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Peter King tidbits from WGR55 interview

He believes Fassel is the early front runner but many will be interviewed.

He spoke with Fassel last week and told him Buffalo will be the best job available for an offensive minded HC. Fassel is interested.

TD will seek to interview Kirk whatever his name is from Iowa. His wife and family are very happy there and he does not thing he will leave Iowa.

Reeves is likely not a canidate because he told king 2 weeks ago he wants to coach again but will likely take a year off.

Thinks TD wants a coach that will bring Bledsoe back. Said Bledsoe will be on a 1 year trial for his job.

Thats about it.
  • saviorbledsoe
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jul 2003

it seems fassel is expected to be the arizona coach because he was the coordinator there before but he would have to be crazy to turn up the buffalo job for the happless cardinals with NO fans. Unless he is just into the warmer weather

Comment

• The Natrix
      • Jul 2002

The Bills are pretty happless too.

Arizona is a nice area, I like it.

Byrd.

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Jul 2003

dude the bills are not happless......this team has 90% of the talent to win a superbowl.

Comment

• The Natrix
          • Jul 2002

I disagree, I think we have to look at this as a two year plan at least.

Byrd.

Comment

• baalworship
            • May 2003

Arizona has like 3 fans. Worst place to coach in the NFL. I lived in Tucson for a few years and yes, the weather was nice. Nobody cares about the NFL in Arizona. It's all b-ball and college sports.

As to Peter King's interview, it made me sick. Are you seriously saying Peter that the Bills are going to hire re-tread Fassel PRIMARILY to resurrect a QB that was never great? I mean, please. I would rather have GW back then hiring Fassel to be the head coach so that he can tinker with Bledsoe and his messed up head instead of worrying about big picture things. Whoever we hire has to beat Belichick and I don't see Fassel as the guy to go toe-to-toe. When the game is on the line he'll do something weird or special teams or the defense will collapse.

Comment

• The Natrix
              • Jul 2002

what QB has Fassel "resurrected" anyway?

Byrd.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                • Jul 2002

FWIW........................I listen to his show every week on WGR and he ends up being wrong way more than he is right.

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

I dont think Fassel is that great dont know why such a big deal is made about him.
                  http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

He's the best option out of a weak field of choices.

We need guy like Brian Billick but rumors of his departure haven't been very accurate.

Comment

• baalworship
                      • May 2003

Sorry, the gist of the interview was that Peter King thought the following :

A: Bills Have Defensive Players & Coaches in Place
                      B. Bills Need Offensive Guy to Resurrect Offensive performace as the Head Coach
                      C. The guy must also agree to take on the Bledsoe project. Instead of looking for the best option the new coach must agree to play with Bledsoe's mechanics and make him an NFL QB again.

Fassel is the guy that fits this criteria because he worked well with Elway in improving his accuracy and he made Kerry Collins look decent again. That's why Peter King thinks the Bills will take Fassel. To salvage Drew Bledsoe.

Obviously, I think Peter King is off base. But if the Bills hire Fassel just to save Drew Bledsoe's career because he's a "nice guy" I will scream. Even the Lions couldn't be that incompetent as to hire a coach to save a QB that doesn't need to be saved (since Bledsoe can be let go with no cap penalty).

I also think this assumption that Jerry Gray has our D in great shape is a bit out of wack. Yes, we did well statistically. But in big games will this guy know how to stop a run of screen passes? Was the last game against NE an anomaly or was it the norm, as in Jerry Gray getting schooled by Weiss....
                      Last edited by baalworship; 12-30-2003, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Buffalo's defense is in good shape up front, but they need to improve their 3rd down defense, where they are middle of the pack, and turnovers. 18 turnovers in a season is pitiful.

That said, a DL consisting of Adams, Williams and Schobel is a nice start. Having Spikes and Fletcher at LB is very good. I mean, you might be able to upgrade on Denney and Posey, but that is a solid front 7.

IMO, their secondary is overrated. The Pats spread Buffalo out and neutralized their LB and S by making them cover. Winfield and Clements are solid, but Buffalo doesn't have a S that can cover and McGee and Thomas are still young and inexperienced.

If Buffalo can get a S with Range and ball skills to pair with Milloy and another CB that can cover (or McGee and Thomas improve with experience), then their defense should actually improve. They will be tough to run on anyway with Adams and Williams tying guys up and Spikes and Fletcher running guys down, and if they improve on 3rd downs and force a few more turnovers they could lead Buffalo back to the playoffs even if the offense doesn't put up a lot of points (as long as they cut back on turnovers).

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

The Bills' defence is not perfect. It does have some holes, but it was exposed more than most defences because the offence absolutely could not hold on to the ball. When the offence keeps going three and out it puts more pressure on a defence than almost any defence can withstand for a whole game. I'd like to see what this defence could do if it was paired with an offence that could sustain drives.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Natrix
                            I disagree, I think we have to look at this as a two year plan at least.

Dude, we’re smack dab in the middle of a rebuilding phase. Don’t know why everybody thinks it only takes 2 or 3 years to rebuild. Takes a lot longer then that. Look at the teams on top now! St. Louis, Tenn, Indy, Carolina, Dallas, Seattle, NE, KC, Philly.

Each one of those teams was down anywhere from 3 to 10 years before they made their run.

Another popular misconception is that teams can only be good for 2 or 3 years nowadays!

WRONG! The Colts have been good for 3 or 4 years and show no sign of slowing, the Titans have been good since about 98 and are still rolling along, The rams are in their 5th year at the top!

Take it easy, we’re rebuilding and it’s going to take longer then the 3 years we just dealt with!
                            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

There are only 3 teams this year that were in the playoffs last year.

Peter King is a fat tub of goo. I don't beleive a word he says. Only Pete Prisco is worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X