PDA

View Full Version : NFL Hiring Policy producing racism.

BidsJr
12-30-2003, 09:51 PM
One of the first things that went through my mind when they said Lovie Smith was on the list was "apparently Donahoe has checked off his box early in the process."

I think that Smith could be a wonderful coach in this league but he now is at the top of the minority list in the NFL right now and will be interviewed by 5 teams and counting this offseason.

This could be a huge detriment to his career. I don't have an answer as to what the right policy should/could be but this isn't it.

At some point a minority coach is going to blast this policy calling it token and wrong.

I'm not saying that all interviews will be token, but you have to agree that some will.

Ð
12-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Nahh, they need to stick it to the man...

BidsJr
12-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Huh?

Mud
12-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Don't owners want to hire the guy best for your team? Who cares what color skin they are? The policy is BS. Racism isn't a factor today with majority of teams having African-Americans players.

BidsJr
12-30-2003, 10:00 PM
I agree completly. But these kind of things always put a cloud over the hiring process.

It is a shame.

Voltron
12-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Yeah Rush Limbaugh said the same thing 2 weeks before the Donovan McNabb coment and not one person said a thing. Kinda funny ain't it!

This does nothing but make black coaches feel like they have less of a chance than before.

Demon
12-30-2003, 11:00 PM
I think this rule is worse for blacks then good. Because, now there is 6 openings for jobs and guys like Lovie Smith will be flown all over USA to interview and they will prepare like never before for each interview but if say Bills really want Fassel then nomatter what Love says, he will say his thing, leave the door and Donahoe will call Fassel.

I think it's unfair too, because NBA doesn't have such rule and there is tons of blacks in the coaching ranks. I don't think, in recent history, that a coach was not hired because of his skin. I don't bielive it. We didn't hire Marvin Lewis....... but we also didn't hire Chris Fox or whatever his name is (the Carolina coach). You hire the best possible guy.

Now, blacks will get hope because they will be asked to interview but when they leave the room they know they won't get it, which is pretty sad.

BidsJr
12-30-2003, 11:08 PM
One of these guys are going to get really pissed at this rule.

Lovie might be the guy.

He might get interviewed and rejected 7 times.

What BS

The Natrix
12-30-2003, 11:53 PM
I love Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards. That being said, I think the rule is a load of ****.

Ingtar33
12-31-2003, 02:19 AM
you want to find out why there are few black HCs in the NFL right now?

Look to college football, in D1-A i think out of 100+ teams there are two black head football coaches... When minorities don't get the jobs in college how are they ever going to get the jobs in the Pros? This isn’t an NFL problem, this is a college problem… don’t forget one of the main purposes of the college football coach is fund raising… it certainly seems to me that most college administrators think a black coach will not be able to raise as much money from alumni that a white coach would.

northernbillfan
12-31-2003, 02:41 AM
:bf1: Well put Ingtar, then again what have you said that wasn't? ;)

Donahoe said it yesterday in his press conference that the search begins NOW for a new head coach, and it will abide by thet diversity rules of the NFL.

The BEST person(s) should be invited to an interview and no-one else, no matter the color of their skin.

Great thread Bids :up:

shelby
12-31-2003, 04:39 AM
i wish Marvin Lewis had taken the job three years ago.
:madcurse:

Earthquake Enyart
12-31-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
you want to find out why there are few black HCs in the NFL right now?

Look to college football, in D1-A i think out of 100+ teams there are two black head football coaches... When minorities don't get the jobs in college how are they ever going to get the jobs in the Pros? This isn’t an NFL problem, this is a college problem… don’t forget one of the main purposes of the college football coach is fund raising… it certainly seems to me that most college administrators think a black coach will not be able to raise as much money from alumni that a white coach would.

I agree 100%. I can't beleive that the NCAA isn't getting more heat.

It's short sighted to think that the policy isn't helping. At least minorities are getting interviewed. That's better than before.

Tatonka
12-31-2003, 07:47 AM
i think the rule is crap, but i dont think that there are necessarily going to be a lot of "wasted" interviews... i say this because... just like greg williams.. if a coach goes in and knocks them dead in an interview, he has a chance.. just like GW did...

TD just requested an interview with 3 candidates.. 2 of the three are black.. he may also speak with dennis green.. who is black as well.. i dont think that skin color is a factor for TD, and i also dont think he has his mind made up as to who he wants for a HC...

BUT.. i can see the process being crap when you have a guy like ted cottrell flown into san fran for an interview, even though they know that they are hiring dennis ericson.. which is what happened last year.. and Cottrell actually spoke out on it last year, and stated that his interview process was crap, and the 49ers never had any intention of hiring him.. so when that situation comes up, it can definately be a bad thing, that is just an insult to a good black coaching candidates intelligence... you can tell, i am sure, if you are a token candidate.

but in our situation specifically, i dont think that the rule would change anything we have done..

i get the point behind it.. they want EVERYONE interviewed.. and they want more black head coaches.. i just really dont know the right way of going about the end result they are looking for.

Earthquake Enyart
12-31-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
BUT.. i can see the process being crap when you have a guy like ted cottrell flown into san fran for an interview, even though they know that they are hiring dennis ericson.. which is what happened last year.. and Cottrell actually spoke out on it last year, and stated that his interview process was crap, and the 49ers never had any intention of hiring him.. so when that situation comes up, it can definately be a bad thing, that is just an insult to a good black coaching candidates intelligence... you can tell, i am sure, if you are a token candidate.

I hear what you are saying, but at least he got a shot. With no rules they probably wouldn't have even talked to him.

BTW, the 49ers also interviewed Greg Blache of the Bears who is also black.

Dozerdog
12-31-2003, 08:00 AM
The NFL should use NFL Europe as a training ground for minority candidates if the NCAA won't.

BidsJr
12-31-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

I hear what you are saying, but at least he got a shot. With no rules they probably wouldn't have even talked to him.

If I were given an interview because of some other reason than my qualifications and the opportunity to get hired, I would be irate at the fact they wasted my time. That would piss me off more than not getting the interview in the first place. The precedent has already been set that minority coaches CAN be hired and be successful. That was the biggest step. That is what told minority coaches that they could break through and their hard work could be rewarded. This rule is about 20 years too late.

Pride
12-31-2003, 08:59 AM
Excellent Thread with many great points!

TedMock
12-31-2003, 09:10 AM
I agree with Ingtar that the problem stems from the fundraising side of college sports. I don't believe Buffalo's going to hire a black coach this year and it has nothing to do with racism. The three things Buffalo's supposedly looking for are experience, discipline and offensive minded. Denny Green's experienced but he also supposedly wants GM duties..ain't happening. Romeo Crennel, Lovie Smith and Ted Cottrell are all defensive coaches. Coughlin's the biggest disciplinarian in the bunch so if the G-men don't woo him he'd have to be our first choice. Fassell's a very good possibility because he's experienced and offensive minded.

Tatonka
12-31-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
Fassell's a very good possibility because he's experienced and offensive minded.

i dont want that guy at all.. his offense sucks... look at how bad the giants were.

helmetguy
12-31-2003, 08:34 PM
Even with this policy in place, somewhere, at sometime, some racist is going to be watching NFL Prime Time on ESPN and start counting colors. This was the same complaint about black QB's several tears ago. As long as there is someone-ANYONE-who cares more about skin color than anything else, these diversity policies will continue to exist, until the guy with the loudest mouth gets his way.

BidsJr
12-31-2003, 09:08 PM
The biggest problemwith this is that it will still work both ways. yes someone will still complain about the lack of minority coaches, but most will still question the ones that don't get hired saying they were only givin token interviews. This policy will only make things worse. Maybe 20 years ago this would be an appropriate policy, but not now.