PDA

View Full Version : QB Coach, Where is ours?

Patrick76777
12-31-2003, 08:39 AM
The fact that we don’t have a QB coach is baffling and is one of the reasons why I believe that we have had shoddy QB play! The fact that Drew goes to the sidelines and has no one to talk to or no one to show him what he may be doing wrong is a huge mistake. I liken it to Golfers. Even the greatest golfers in the world have coaches. One little change in a golfers swing can send their entire game on a downward spiral. But these guys have coaches who help them look at their games and figure out what they’re doing wrong!

We don’t have someone like that for Drew and I’ve seen many mistakes in his game.

First off, the happy feet have got to go! He needs someone to help restore his confidence and getting to stop hopping around like some scared school girl!

Second, he needs to get the damn ball up! Why does he hold the damn ball so low? Most QB’s hold the ball high, between their chest and their chin! That way, when preparing to throw the pass, they **** straight back and fire the ball. Drew has to bring the ball from way down by his belly area giving defenders an extra moment to reach in and knock it away, which has been a huge problem.

Third is the patting of the ball! What are you doing Drew! It looks like a nervous twitch! I attribute this more to indecision, which can be a killer for a QB! Have you ever tried to do something in a hurry or a panic and end up making the problem worse? For example, You’re in a hurry but you left your car keys in the house. Now going into the house calmly and grabbing your keys will take about 45 seconds, but you’re in such a hurry that you run in the door, brush by a mirror in the hallway knocking it to the floor and breaking it! Now you’re wasting 5 minutes cleaning up the mirror. Or better yet, a perfect example is when you’re driving and you have to go from a side street to a busy street. In this situation, indecision could kill you. You think you’ve got an opening so you make a break for it and then decide against it at the last second slamming on the breaks (this could cause you to get sacked from behind. You either have an opening and go for it, or you don’t and you wait for the next option. That’s what Drew is doing by patting the ball. He sees his target, he brings the ball back and he changes his mind and he brings the ball back to his midsection patting it. Then it gets wrose. After awhile he’s just patting it like it’s a new puppy. The later part is him being nervous and unsure, the first part is simply indecision. Either way, I think both parts can be fixed with proper coaching.

Last is pocket presence. Remember last season when the pocket would start caving in and he’s stand tall and suddenly you’d see the ball fly out of a mess of players for a completion? Or my favorite was when the pocket would collapse and we’d see him take a few steps up in the pocket and fire a 30 yard bullet right into the hands of Moulds! Every time he stepped up in the pocket, you just knew something good was about to happen. Unfortunately, I don’t remember him stepping up in the pocket once this year! In fact, he kind of turned into Rob Johnson and panic ensued when the pressure started! Too many times this year, I saw him just duck down and take the sack. That should never be acceptable. He should have someone telling him to get rid of the ball! 2nd and 10 is always better then 2 and 18!

LtBillsFan66
12-31-2003, 08:45 AM
Great points. Especially the last one. I noticed that he didn't drop back deep many times this season. So when the pocket collapsed, there was no where to step up - even if he wanted to. Or even roll out a little so he can throw the ball away without a grounding call. I would like to see him drop back deeper.

I think a QB coach would help tremendously. I haven't lost hope in Drew! I'm still a Drew Believer!

Patrick76777
12-31-2003, 08:48 AM
There's no doubt he played like Shiiiiiiite but I have to think he can bounce back!

saviorbledsoe
12-31-2003, 08:48 AM
Exactly....and I think the new HC will hire a QB coach first priority.

LtBillsFan66
12-31-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
There's no doubt he played like Shiiiiiiite but I have to think he can bounce back!

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Exactly....and I think the new HC will hire a QB coach first priority.

Yep and yep.

Voltron
12-31-2003, 08:55 AM
Funny thing is the patting of the ball was used on Playmakers :).

That Crazy MLB Ozlygogle or something saw another QB use it and it was a sign that he was about to run a certain way.

Any D player in the NFL has to know that when Drew pats the ball it means he is getting nervous and is rattled. Then they don't even have to really get in his face. Just near him and Drew will fall down like a sack of taters.

We need a real QB coach

Some great points Pat! :up:

Earthquake Enyart
12-31-2003, 09:04 AM
There are a lot of quarterbacks who pat the ball. John Elway was pretty notorious for doing that, and I think things worked out for him.

If I were Drew, I'd hire a personal trainer and work on footspeed and agility. Maybe take martial arts to learn how to sidestep the rush. And watch tapes of Brett Favre, who is excellent at it.

Patrick76777
12-31-2003, 09:06 AM
There's a big difference between patting the ball that Elway did and Drew's heavy petting!

NC-BILLS44
12-31-2003, 09:14 AM
I think AVP will be a great QB coach. After we draft a QB in the upcoming draft, this could be how AVP stays with the team.

Alluro
12-31-2003, 09:17 AM
EVERY OC and COACH that dredsoe has ever had has been trying to get him to do those things. at some point, you have to call a lemon what it is

Patrick76777
12-31-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Alluro
EVERY OC and COACH that dredsoe has ever had has been trying to get him to do those things. at some point, you have to call a lemon what it is

Dredsoe, I get it, it's like Dread and Bledsoe combined. that's witty!

LtBillsFan66
12-31-2003, 09:22 AM
Dredsoe, I get it, it's like Dread and Bledsoe combined. that's witty!

You'll get a kick out of Bledslow.

NC-BILLS44
12-31-2003, 09:37 AM
How about Bledthrowthefnball?

STAMPY
12-31-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
I think AVP will be a great QB coach. After we draft a QB in the upcoming draft, this could be how AVP stays with the team.

you must be kidding me... this guy is a bum he's never done anything with his chances, how can i bum qb help a struggling qb? lets be serious

TedMock
12-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Some guys are just better teachers/coaches than players. How many great coaches were hall of fame players? I think that just because you can play doesn't mean you're qualified to coach and just because you know the game better than most doesn't mean you can play. AVP is very intelligent on the field. His problem is that he's fat, slow and has a weak arm. Guys like Marv Levy or Bill Parcells just drip with football knowledge (which is why they could draw up plays) but they weren't great players.

Voltron
12-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE

you must be kidding me... this guy is a bum he's never done anything with his chances, how can i bum qb help a struggling qb? lets be serious

He may not have all the physical attributes of a great QB but he is a good decision maker (well I will say for most of his years although not this year) and he has now played in 4 different offensive packages! Just because you can't play doesn't mean you can't coach. I was never really good at Lacrosse. I played for a very good Junior college team (Herkimer 53-0 the seasons I was there) but when I moved to texas I had the chance to coach kids that never even picked up a stik before and I learned that I can coach the hell out of kids! I can do the same thing with Bowling. I am not a very consistant bowler but I can watch another bowler and tell them what they are doing right and wrong. Coaching is different than playing and I think AVP has got what it takes to be a good QB coach.

NC-BILLS44
12-31-2003, 09:55 AM
What's the saying,
Those that can -'Do'
Those that can't -'Teach'

Here's a perfect example.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned AVPs mental capacity about quarterbacking. They have questioned his physical shape and athletic ability.

I think he would be a great coach. Why else have they kept him around all these years? We could have easily picked up a better veteran QB. He must contribute to the team in some way.

Voltron
12-31-2003, 09:59 AM
The Players all Like and Respect "The Pill" you don't get a nick name in the NFL with out having earned respect from guys on your team. I have never heard any Bills player past or present say anything but good things about AVP. Most of the time when people are asked about him the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "He is a smart QB"

NC-BILLS44
12-31-2003, 10:03 AM
I think he would make a great coach. Hell, he's probably been doing some coaching already, he just doesn't have the title.

Originally posted by Voltron

I played for a very good Junior college team (Herkimer 53-0 the seasons I was there) but when I moved to texas I had the chance to coach kids that never even picked up a stik before and I learned that I can coach the hell out of kids!

You were part of that run? I was at Morrisville during that run and my best friend was at Herkimer.

helmetguy
12-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Guess what? KG was also the QB coach this season! Kinda makes ya wonder, doesn't it?

BAM
12-31-2003, 06:24 PM
did we have a QB coach last year?

mybills
12-31-2003, 07:27 PM
[B]The fact that we don’t have a QB coach is baffling and is one of the reasons why I believe that we have had shoddy QB play! The fact that Drew goes to the sidelines and has no one to talk to or no one to show him what he may be doing wrong is a huge mistake. I liken it to Golfers. Even the greatest golfers in the world have coaches. One little change in a golfers swing can send their entire game on a downward spiral. But these guys have coaches who help them look at their games and figure out what they’re doing wrong!

We don’t have someone like that for Drew and I’ve seen many mistakes in his game.

Well now, this is as far as I got reading this...so let me interupt..
He's supposed to be a Pro Bowl QB with about 11 years under his belt...just how much does he need to be <b>told</b>?

...ok, I'll continue reading now! ;)

The_Philster
12-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by mybills
Well now, this is as far as I got reading this...so let me interupt..
He's supposed to be a Pro Bowl QB with about 11 years under his belt...just how much does he need to be <b>told</b>?

...ok, I'll continue reading now! ;)

honestly, how to work within the offensive system.

mybills
12-31-2003, 07:34 PM
OK, I finished reading everyone's comments..

Originally posted by Alluro

:bf1:

:mods:

Stewie
01-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
There are a lot of quarterbacks who pat the ball. John Elway was pretty notorious for doing that, and I think things worked out for him.

If I were Drew, I'd hire a personal trainer and work on footspeed and agility. Maybe take martial arts to learn how to sidestep the rush. And watch tapes of Brett Favre, who is excellent at it.

Donovan McNabb goes down to Arizona every year and works on his footwork with some world famous dude. Maybe we can get him to take Drew with him.

TigerJ
01-01-2004, 05:36 PM
In theory Kevin Gilbride acted as QB coach this past season when the guy (whose name I forget) who did it last year left for another position. Hey! Don't puke. It wasn't my idea. I do think AVP would make a good QB coach. His physical talents or lack thereof are the reason he was never a successful QB in the NFL. He's very bright, a student of the game, and would be very helpful to Drew or any young QB Buffalo might bring in.