PDA

View Full Version : Team Speed?

jdbillsfan
10-07-2002, 09:26 AM
Do any of you see a problem with our Team Speed on Defense? It seems like most of our front seven is slow. Our DE's can't chase down QB's running around the corner and our LB's can't keep up with backs out of the backfield.

The Raiders WR's looked like they could just sprint right past our corners and safety's. There were times where their receivers just dropped balls even though they were wide open. Could have been worse, if that's possible.

I noticed it a lot being at the game and seeing their WR's run around freely.

Just wondering what you guys thought. I wonder what the 40 time is for our fastest player on the front 7 is or for our whole defense for that matter....

casdhf
10-07-2002, 09:47 AM
Ahanatu and Robinson really need to see less time. Robinson especially, it seems he's getting burnt by TEs and HBs more than Watson is. Maybe Newman can cover better....but somthing should be switched up.

Rebecky
10-07-2002, 09:49 AM
I've read somewhere that all three of our CB's are pretty fast, all under 4.5. Is this true -- and if so, why can't they keep up with even 3rd WR's?

ct bills fan
10-07-2002, 11:30 AM
The front 7 do appear a step slow. The only player I saw out there running people down from behind was Watson.

TigerJ
10-07-2002, 12:00 PM
I think Winfield and Clements are both around the low 4.4s in the 40. I don't know what Watson's timed speed is. On the line, Williams is pretty quick considering his bulk. There aren't many DTs who have sprinter's speed. Schobel is in the 4.65-4.7 range, which is decent for a DE. I think Newman is supposed to be reasonably fast for a big linebacker (4.6 or so). Robinson has slowed down a lot from his younger days I suspect. Neither Wire or Prioleau are burners, but they're not the slowest safeties in the league by far.

Oakland has a QB that was drafted as a defensive back because he was so fast. He's not as fast as he used to be at 37, but he's no slouch and it doesn't surprise me that he can run away from linemen and linebackers. Charlie Garner is one of the fastest RBs in the league. On the TD run, Wire missjudged the angle and underestimated Garner's speed. Rookie mistake.

Novacane
10-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
On the TD run, Wire missjudged the angle and underestimated Garner's speed. Rookie mistake.

At least thats what GW is saying in the press. What I would like to know is why the hell were they in a scheme that Wire is the only guy out of 11 that has a chance on that play. Once he got past CW no one else was in the picture. Thats an awful lot of pressure to put on a rookie.

players need to pick it up but the coaching staff needs to take a lot of the blame for not putting players in the best possible situation for success.

Sennsai
10-07-2002, 12:53 PM
"What I would like to know is why the hell were they in a scheme that Wire is the only guy out of 11 that has a chance on that play. Once he got past CW no one else was in the picture. Thats an awful lot of pressure to put on a rookie. "

I didn't see the game on TV or in person, but I did see the Garner run and had the same observation. Where were the other 10 guys on Defense? Not in the picture at all. Had Wire made the tackle on Garner, it probably wouldn't have gotten much talk. Instead he misses the tackle(at the line of scrimmage) and Garner is gone, nobody else lays a finger on him. Where was everyone else?

Ingtar33
10-07-2002, 01:04 PM
The Raiders ran the same play early in the first half, and Schoebel broke it up by holding his position and forcing Garner to run laterally, giving Prioleau time to come over and force Garner out of bounds... Chidi was MIA on the TD play, getting snookered inside, leaving Wire without any help.

jdbillsfan
10-07-2002, 01:31 PM
Seems like we have a lot of guys playing with their back to the QB, trying to keep up.

Rebecky
10-07-2002, 06:01 PM
We've GOT to get more guys downfield -- I don't care if JG puts 10 on the line, runners are going to break through and we're not going to consistently pressure the QB. Our D-guys are needed covering zone mid-field and downfield, not all bunched up on the line.