PDA

View Full Version : Learning from past mistakes or being hung up on them?

OpIv37
12-31-2003, 09:51 PM
I'm thinking of two particular examples: Bledsoe and GW.

Some people on this board have made comparisons between Drew and Rob Johnson, arguably the biggest mistake in Bills history. The problem with RJ: we hung on to the guy too long. Everyone kept saying "He has talent, he just needs better ______ (fill in other offensive position of your choice)". The result: 3 seasons and millions of dollars down the drain.

So now people want to ditch Drew to avoid the same mistake. I think this is dwelling on the past rather than learning from it. The truth about Drew is that he's an average QB. He's not nearly as bad as he played this season, but he's also not Brett Favre. Unlike RJ, Drew had some success in NE and put up impressive numbers in Buffalo in 2002. Bledsoe may have only had 3 good games all season, but that's about as many as Johnson had for his entire career.

Give Drew one more season and get someone in place to take over if his poor play continues. No one wants to say it, but with a new coaching staff and a new offensive system, 2004 is most likely going to be a rebuilding year (at least on the offensive side of the ball). We don't have much to lose by giving him one more shot, especially if we can find a backup who doesn't make stupid errors. Drew may not be the Hall of Fame QB we'd all like to have, but let's not make him a victim of RJ's failures.

As far as GW, this is where TD needs to learn from his mistakes. There are a lot of names out there for Buffalo's next HC. I'll take any of them as long as they have NFL coaching experience. I think one reason that GW couldn't control that moron Gilbride is because he never had well-known people under him before. We need a coach who is going to get the respect and responsiveness from his staff, and only coaches with NFL experience are capable of doing that.

mybills
12-31-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
I'm thinking of two particular examples: Bledsoe and GW.

Some people on this board have made comparisons between Drew and Rob Johnson, arguably the biggest mistake in Bills history. The problem with RJ: we hung on to the guy too long. Everyone kept saying "He has talent, he just needs better ______ (fill in other offensive position of your choice)". The result: 3 seasons and millions of dollars down the drain.

So now people want to ditch Drew to avoid the same mistake. I think this is dwelling on the past rather than learning from it. The truth about Drew is that he's an average QB. He's not nearly as bad as he played this season, but he's also not Brett Favre. Unlike RJ, Drew had some success in NE and put up impressive numbers in Buffalo in 2002. Bledsoe may have only had 3 good games all season, but that's about as many as Johnson had for his entire career.

Give Drew one more season and get someone in place to take over if his poor play continues. No one wants to say it, but with a new coaching staff and a new offensive system, 2004 is most likely going to be a rebuilding year (at least on the offensive side of the ball). We don't have much to lose by giving him one more shot, especially if we can find a backup who doesn't make stupid errors. Drew may not be the Hall of Fame QB we'd all like to have, but let's not make him a victim of RJ's failures.

As far as GW, this is where TD needs to learn from his mistakes. There are a lot of names out there for Buffalo's next HC. I'll take any of them as long as they have NFL coaching experience. I think one reason that GW couldn't control that moron Gilbride is because he never had well-known people under him before. We need a coach who is going to get the respect and responsiveness from his staff, and only coaches with NFL experience are capable of doing that.

What are you talking about? It IS learning from it! Johnson is a very accurate description of Drew. There is no helping either of those twin brothers...if we are stuck with twin putz #2 for another year, I forewarn you that you will not be happy. Let it go, Drew must go! And if I read that right, Gilbride DID have experience in the NFL...so did Williams...stop making excuses for the idiots, ok?

mybills
12-31-2003, 11:47 PM
sorry for ranting OP, but half of what you're saying (and I know you're from NE) sounds like you've been listening to too many Pats fans.

Maybe I'm wrong, but MOST Pat's fans are FREAKING IDIOTS!

OpIv37
01-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear on the coaching part- GW had NFL experience but not HC experience- that's what we need. Gilbride had some successful offenses in the NFL previously (ie Houston in the early 90's), and I think he had a hard time listening to the younger, less experienced GW (or GW couldn't control him, depending on how you look at it).

I'm not looking to defend GW or Gilbride- they both f'ed up big time. I'm just trying to find the reasons so we don't make the same mistakes.

As far as keeping Drew for another year, I don't think it's repeating the RJ mistake. Again, Bledsoe is not a great QB, but his NFL career far outshines RJ's. Some people on this board have pointed out that Bledsoe is a "career .500 QB", which still gives him a hell of a lot more wins than RJ. Bledsoe can win with the right surroundings, RJ can't win no matter what.

Drew is also an easy scapegoat, but he's not the only reason why this team was so bad this year. No QB could win with Gilbride, our O-line, and our depleted receiver position. Gilbride's as good as gone. Drew is not Buffalo's QB of the future, but I think we need a few offensive linemen, a healthy Moulds, and a decent #2 receiver to give ANY QB a shot. Regardless of who our QB is, this discussion wil repeat itself next year unless we get him some protection and somewhere to go with the ball.

Throne Logic
01-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Gilbride is an idiot. Has been for a decade. I cannot figure out how he keeps getting hired.

GW wasn't strong enough for Gilbride's personality and ego.

Bledsoe can be successful with less of a change than most people think. This is my opinion on how to eliminate the bulk of the mistakes Drew was responsible for this season (not how to make them the #1 Offense in the NFL):
1. Give him an OL with NFL quality blocking schemes (I don't even care if you use the same personel)
2. An OC who game plans with logic and reason vs. stubborn pride and blinders.
3. An Offensive philosophy that focuses on a power-running game (which Buffalo has the personnel for) and provides him a pre-determined safety-valve for when he is under pressure.

kgun12
01-01-2004, 05:27 PM
9-47 on the road against teams with winning records. Atleast RJ could run the ball. Drew is a statue back there. I don't want RJ back but Drew can't run a defenses know that!

OpIv37
01-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
9-47 on the road against teams with winning records. Atleast RJ could run the ball. Drew is a statue back there. I don't want RJ back but Drew can't run a defenses know that!

Yeah I remember another Bills QB who couldn't run to save his life. His name was Jim Kelly.

I don't think Bledsoe is as good as Kelly- I'm just making the point that a successful offense doesn't depend on a mobile QB.

kgun12
01-01-2004, 06:37 PM
career rushing stats:

Jim Kelly: 304/1049

Drew Bledsoe: 321/649

The difference Kelly could run Drew can't!

Your right you don't have to be able to run, but it's nice to know you can get out of your own way when things don't go right!

Throne Logic
01-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Jim Kelly running was one of the funniest things to watch. Those short little hampster legs churnin' as fast has he could make them go. He reminded me of someone on a 10 speed stuck in 1st gear.

Better blocking schemes would make it easier for him to avoid sacks.

The Spaz
01-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Jim Kelly was short?!:confused: