PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this guy as a HC candidate?

Jeff1220
01-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Ralph Fiedgen (http://umterps.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/friedgen_ralph00.html)

Ralph Friedgen has turned around a losing football program in Maryland and was a Super Bowl OC. Check out his bio on the link above.

What do you think?

OpIv37
01-01-2004, 06:25 PM
People in MD love him- I think it would take a lot to get him to leave. Plus, I think the GW thing has taught us that we need someone with NFL coaching experience. To use another local example, look at the mess that Spurrier made out of the Redskins.

Again, good coach but I don't want him losing his NFL virginity in Buffalo.

TigerJ
01-01-2004, 10:24 PM
He does have three years NFL experience as an assistant, one of those as offensive coordinator of a Super Bowl team. I don't think he'll be considered. There are better candidates, but he might not be out of his element at all in the NFL. Spurrier's problem has as much to do with coaching style as experience. I read an article that said as a head coach he is completely divorced from what the defence is doing. He focusses exclusively on the offence and mostly on what the QB is doing. Granted almost any head coach is going to be more comfortable with one phase of the game or another, but he can't have total tunnel vision, blocking out completely what is happening elsewhere on his team.

OpIv37
01-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Has he said anything about wanting to leave MD? He's pretty much a god around here- I don't know why he'd want to give that up to take on a troubled offense and a bunch of pissed off fans.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Why would Bill Parcells want to go coach a team that went like 4-12 before he got into town?

To show that he is truly a great coach (not that any football fan ever doubted that), but also to cement that as a fact.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2004, 02:21 AM
Because the guy's a competitor - if I was a college coach, and I was being highly recruited by the NFL, I'd wanna know where my potential could take me - why not, I've already established myself in the college ranks - if I don't pan out in the NFL, I'd still have a job I'm sure in college.

Jeff1220
01-02-2004, 03:57 AM
I read an article about a week ago (sorry no link) that has Fridge as a candidate in Atlanta (He has a following there via Georgia Tech).

TedMock
01-02-2004, 08:41 AM
He was just given a 6 figure bonus. I don't think he's going to leave Maryland. Next season he'll finally have a team full of his recruits, none left over from the previous coach. He's going to want to see just how good he is in that aspect. We all know he's a great coach, Maryland has overachieved 3 straight seasons. He did coach in San Diego when they went to the Superbowl but I don't think he's coming back to the NFL soon.

Earthquake Enyart
01-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
I read an article about a week ago (sorry no link) that has Fridge as a candidate in Atlanta (He has a following there via Georgia Tech).

No, the Fridge went to Clemson.

Jeff1220
01-03-2004, 09:00 PM
That's not the only Fridge. Have you seen Friedgen? He's a Fridge in his own right.