PDA

View Full Version : Winfield is a priority for Bills

shelby
01-02-2004, 05:37 PM
....Winfield, with only six career interceptions, does not rate as a playmaker with any of them, and his value will be diminished if they are all available, so it is possible that the Bills can re-sign Winfield without breaking the bank.

Then again, Winfield has to want to return, and that might depend on which head coach is hired and how much the roster changes.

“If they can come up with a deal, then I’ll be here,” Winfield said, referring to his agent and Donahoe. “I won’t know what’s going to happen until March. I would love to be back.”

full story (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0102MB2QI1F_sports.shtml)

Thoughts?

LABillsFan
01-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Whether he wants to return or not has no baring on the fact that he won't get any int's. He is a good tackler and a decent coverman unfortunately he is not that tall and does not now how to position himself to get them.

LABillsFan
01-02-2004, 07:03 PM
I think Winfield would be better suited as a FS which he won't be able to do on the Bills.

Halbert
01-02-2004, 09:46 PM
It's so tough to get shut down corners that you want to do everything you can to keep them, within reason of course. Yeah it would be great if Winfield had more picks but he contributes in other ways that make him quite valuable. He rarely gets burned, he breaks up a lot of passes, and he is a tackle machine.

He's not going to make the biggest dollars until he shows he can make those game turning plays. Hopefully he won't get as much attention from the market as he would have otherwise and we'll be able to keep him as a reasonable salary.

He's one tough little dude and I think he fits in with this defense quite well. Plus I think he's going to get to the 3-4 int per season nexy year when the pass rush gets better.

STAMPY
01-02-2004, 09:51 PM
isn't ty law a free agent tho

OpIv37
01-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
It's so tough to get shut down corners that you want to do everything you can to keep them, within reason of course. Yeah it would be great if Winfield had more picks but he contributes in other ways that make him quite valuable. He rarely gets burned, he breaks up a lot of passes, and he is a tackle machine.

He's not going to make the biggest dollars until he shows he can make those game turning plays. Hopefully he won't get as much attention from the market as he would have otherwise and we'll be able to keep him as a reasonable salary.

He's one tough little dude and I think he fits in with this defense quite well. Plus I think he's going to get to the 3-4 int per season nexy year when the pass rush gets better.

I agree- he may not be big on the INT list, but QB's certainly don't like throwing in his direction. If we can bring him back at a good price, even better. Plus, if TD finds a big-play corner like Law for the opposite side of the field, it can only help his INT stats when QB's are forced in his direction.

The_Philster
01-03-2004, 06:00 AM
It's kinda hard for him to get picks playing in Prevent mode all game long.

clumping platelets
01-03-2004, 10:21 AM
His problem is that he wants to be paid like a top CB he's not. He hasn't made many big time plays, just solid plays. No INT's and a few forced fumbles. I would offer him 5 yrs-$25 million with $6.5 million signing bonus. Not a dollar more

saviorbledsoe
01-03-2004, 11:22 AM
i think we should spend winfield money on a speed wr and speed de and let mcgee start.

Novacane
01-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
I would offer him 5 yrs-$25 million with $6.5 million signing bonus. Not a dollar more

I don't think TD will even go that high. Thats close to Spikes money. For once I agree with savior.....................let winfield walk and use the money elsewhere.

socalfan
01-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
His problem is that he wants to be paid like a top CB he's not. He hasn't made many big time plays, just solid plays. No INT's and a few forced fumbles. I would offer him 5 yrs-$25 million with $6.5 million signing bonus. Not a dollar more

That seems too much for Winfield. I don't think of him as a shut down corner. He's just a good consistent player that makes use of his talents better than most.

Bert102176
01-04-2004, 10:34 PM
forget Winfield, go after Charles Woodson