PDA

View Full Version : I want Coughlin to come to Buffalo after reading this...

Michael82
01-03-2004, 02:46 AM
Time not only heals the reputations of displaced coaches, sometimes it alters outlooks, recasting criticisms as admirable qualities. Tom Coughlin, who, like Fassel, could be interviewed for the Bills job, generally was regarded as an aloof, dictatorial presence during his eight-year run in Jacksonville that included two trips to the AFC Championship Game. Many players, such as quarterback Mark Brunell, despised Coughlin's hard-driving ways, his unwillingness to seek or accept input into the offense he oversaw. Others, such as wideout Keenan McCardell, disregarded the methods and hailed Coughlin for his expertise. The division among the playing ranks ultimately became the chisel that separated Coughlin from the Jags, player unrest having expanded over three straight losing seasons.

A year away from the game did wonders for Coughlin's persona. He no longer is viewed as a tyrant. Instead, his image is that of a shrewd disciplinarian perfectly fit to a franchise in need of a swift and emphatic kick in the pants. He was a finalist for the Bengals job last season and is being heralded as a solution waiting to be tapped. Whether he'd be right for Buffalo is part of the quandary facing Tom Donahoe, president and general manager of the Bills, who has the unenviable task of sifting through a wealth of candidates, tested and untested, and then rendering the most important decision of his tenure.

Coughlin could be the next Dick Vermeil, a talented coach mellowed for the better by experience.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040102/1054713.asp

Michael82
01-03-2004, 02:50 AM
a shrewd disciplinarian perfectly fit to a franchise in need of a swift and emphatic kick in the pants? That's EXACTLY what this Buffalo team needs, IMO. BTW, did you read that part about Brunell? Now, you guys can all pretty much end the Brunell talk if Coughlin comes here.

BuffaloRanger
01-03-2004, 03:26 AM
The point is retread coaches that are criticized when a coach are suddenly just what another team needs.

Can we please not hire a coach that beat the Bills in a playoff game (Coughlin) or Superbowl (Weis). It's bad karma - GW, Gilbride.

ublinkwescore
01-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Coughlin tops my list.

TD needs to get on the ball and get his @$$ out here and make him sign ASAP.

Bert102176
01-03-2004, 08:39 AM
I have wanted Coughlin all along but TD has his head up his butt and probably won't even talk to him about an interview

Novacane
01-03-2004, 09:01 AM
I've wanted him all along too but yesterday I heard something on the radio that makes me a little leary of him.

IN training camp he flipped out on the assistant coachs for wearing sunglasses. Another time Tony Bosselli had an injured knee so he could not practice. He came out to watch practice anyway and Coughlin made him go back in and get his helmet and wear it if he wanted to watch practice.

If he has not learned things like that are getting carried away than I think I have changed my mind on him. That attitude will get old real fast for the players and we will be right back where we started. I would like a tough disciplinarian but not a wierdo.

Halbert
01-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Let's see, the best two coaches in the league are Parcells and Billychick. Both are aloof control freaks that smack their players around. Both win with subpar talent.

I'll take my chances with Coughlin.

baalworship
01-03-2004, 09:11 AM
This is my preference right now:

1. Kirk Ferentz -The guy can coach. Will take $$$$ and sweet talk to get him out of Iowa.
2 Tom Coughlin- Ditto. He needs to chill just a bit but this Buffalo team plays soft and he will certainly rid this team of weakness. The fact that the guy can call the plays on offense as well makes him a good choice.
3. Charlie Weiss- The only problem is lack of head coaching experience. But the guy is smart and if has a plan and vision Donahoe should give him consideration. The guy is using pure smoke & mirrors right now in NE with A Smith & K Faulk at tailback, and midget receivers. Also a bonus that he can call the plays on offense in a pinch.

TigerJ
01-03-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm wary of Coughlin. I'd like to know that it's not just the image that has changed, that he really has chilled out a bit. Between Belichick, Parcells and Coughlin, the perception is that Coughlin was the most extreme in his dictatorial attitude. I'd be happy if he backed off to Belichick or Parcells' level.

cordog
01-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by baalworship

1. Kirk Ferentz -The guy can coach. Will take $$$$ and sweet talk to get him out of Iowa.
2 Tom Coughlin- Ditto. He needs to chill just a bit but this Buffalo team plays soft and he will certainly rid this team of weakness. The fact that the guy can call the plays on offense as well makes him a good choice.
3. Charlie Weiss- The only problem is lack of head coaching experience. But the guy is smart and if has a plan and vision Donahoe should give him consideration. The guy is using pure smoke & mirrors right now in NE with A Smith & K Faulk at tailback, and midget receivers. Also a bonus that he can call the plays on offense in a pinch.

Ferentz will not leave Iowa. He was just up in Erie for a recruiting trip a couple weeks ago. I know the cousin of the kid getting recruited and he was very adamant about being in Iowa for awhile. He said his program has just got to where he wants it and isnt gonna leave now.

baalworship
01-03-2004, 12:10 PM
That's what Ferentz keeps saying but what else is he going to tell recruits? Come to Iowa because I won't be there?! I realize that Ferentz will be tough to get but the guy WILL leave if someone makes him the right offer. I just hope it's the Bills.

cordog
01-03-2004, 12:20 PM
That's what Ferentz keeps saying but what else is he going to tell recruits? Come to Iowa because I won't be there?! I realize that Ferentz will be tough to get but the guy WILL leave if someone makes him the right offer. I just hope it's the Bills.

I understand that it is a recruiting trip but I was told he was very very positive he wasnt going anywhere but i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Tatonka
01-03-2004, 02:47 PM

great list.. mine is not much different than that really.

Originally posted by TigerJ
I'm wary of Coughlin. I'd like to know that it's not just the image that has changed, that he really has chilled out a bit. Between Belichick, Parcells and Coughlin, the perception is that Coughlin was the most extreme in his dictatorial attitude. I'd be happy if he backed off to Belichick or Parcells' level.

i dont think that it is accurate to say that coughlin is considered the biggest dictator in that group.. i mean.. for god sakes, parcells made their number one draft pick a water boy during training camp, and wouldnt give them stars on their helmets.. i think they all come from the same school, but also, you have to think that coughlin reads all the stuff about him, and knows that his matra wore thin in jville.. so i think that he would tone it down some.. a good coach has to determine exactly what a team needs as far as a coaches attitude and go with that.. some teams require extreme discipline, other veteran teams may not need as much..

TigerJ
01-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Maybe you're right, Tatonka. I don't know. I just know he makes me nervous, or rather the idea of him coaching the Bills makes me nervous. If that's the guy TD hires, I'm still a Bills fan and I'll support him as part of the team until or unless he shows that his behavior is likely to make the players mutiny.

Tatonka
01-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Maybe you're right, Tatonka. I don't know. I just know he makes me nervous, or rather the idea of him coaching the Bills makes me nervous. If that's the guy TD hires, I'm still a Bills fan and I'll support him as part of the team until or unless he shows that his behavior is likely to make the players mutiny.

he never had anything close to a mutany in jville.. he just had that little **** Hollis *****ing.. and we saw what kind of guy he was.. when he turned down a lot of money to go blow his knee out for the giants for less money.