PDA

View Full Version : GW and Reuben according to TMQ

Jeff1220
01-03-2004, 08:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/6962969

The tastefully named Gregg Williams of Buffalo was certain to be cashiered regardless of what happened in Week 17, so he seems to have gone out of his way to insure the final contest would be humiliating for his former employers. Williams left Pro Bowl guard Ruben Brown home for the road game, though both Bills starting offensive tackles were out injured. Numerous rumors are swirling, but it appears Brown's offense was saying within the Buffalo locker room what everyone in the National Football League -- not to mention everyone in high-school football -- already knew: The Bills' Kevin Gilbride is the worst offensive coordinator in the league. Maybe Brown should have held his peace, but Williams sending a Pro Bowl guard home when both tackles were already sidelined with injuries insured Buffalo would end its season getting blown out. It's just lucky Drew Bledsoe, who was pounded all afternoon, did not sustain an injury. Knowing he was toast and perhaps bitter, Williams seemed not to care about protecting the team's franchise QB.

I knew GW wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree, but I never really questioned his character in this sense. It is comforting to hear someone outside of this board acknowledge how bad Gilbride is though.

Novacane
01-03-2004, 08:53 PM
I've got to seriously question any writers credibility who refers to Bledsoe as a franchise QB. The only thing about him that resembles a franchise QB is his salary.

Jeff1220
01-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I've got to seriously question any writers credibility who refers to Bledsoe as a franchise QB. The only thing about him that resembles a franchise QB is his salary.

Then you'd have to question the credibility of about 99.9% of the writers out there. Besides this post isn't about Bledsoe. It's about the credibility of the (ex)coaching staff. Are you sure you're not Wy?

Tatonka
01-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
Then you'd have to question the credibility of about 99.9% of the writers out there. Besides this post isn't about Bledsoe. It's about the credibility of the (ex)coaching staff. Are you sure you're not Wy?

i think your very wrong about 99.9% thinking that jeff.. the last 22 games he has played as a bill has really opened the medias eyes i think. and no he is not wys.. he is the same as about 70% of this board now that realize that bledsoe was horrible, and has been horrible since he has been in buffalo, except for the first 5 games he was here.

i also cant really buy this story unless i see some proof.. this guy has no quotes, no player accounts, nothing.. just hearsay.. which wont hold up as fact.

truth is, we will never know.

The_Philster
01-03-2004, 11:29 PM
:offtopic: Let's please not turn this into another smack thread.

On topic, I buy it because Ruben has always seemed like a stand-up guy in his years here and I found it hard to believe that he quit on the team like GW wanted it to look like. Even when the rumors that he quit on the team started surfacing, I refused to buy into them because being a stand up guy is the exact opposite thing from the way I would describe GW. He could never take the blame for a damn thing.

Tatonka
01-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
:offtopic: Let's please not turn this into another smack thread.

On topic, I buy it because Ruben has always seemed like a stand-up guy in his years here and I found it hard to believe that he quit on the team like GW wanted it to look like. Even when the rumors that he quit on the team started surfacing, I refused to buy into them because being a stand up guy is the exact opposite thing from the way I would describe GW. He could never take the blame for a damn thing.

i am not saying that ruben wasnt tossed for no reason.. or an unjust reason.. and i definately dont think he quit either.. but i dont know that greg williams intentionally was trying to be vindictive with brown or bledsoe.

The_Philster
01-03-2004, 11:47 PM
I'd sooner believe in Brown who, while he is terrible with penalties and such (but has improved on that in recent years), has been a solid player for us for years (not Pro Bowl level..but solid) than I would in someone who always made it sound like the players were the ones who screwed up...not him or his coaching staff.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2004, 06:19 AM
If Williams did what the article said - sabotaged us - perhaps he deserved some of the personal criticism that so enraged TD.

It sounds like GW is not only a poor HC, but a mean spirited and vindictive human being.

Jeff1220
01-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i think your very wrong about 99.9% thinking that jeff.. the last 22 games he has played as a bill has really opened the medias eyes i think. and no he is not wys.. he is the same as about 70% of this board now that realize that bledsoe was horrible, and has been horrible since he has been in buffalo, except for the first 5 games he was here.

T, I am one of the 70% of the board. I realize that Bledsoe sucked bad this year and I really don't care if he stays or goes, as long as the replacement is better. What I can't understand is why every thread has to be turned into a trash-Bledsoe campaign. There are other aspects to the Bills and football than this one topic. It would be nice if each post wasn't twisted into some pro/anti Drew debate. It's very old and making me not even want to come here anymore.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2004, 07:58 AM
T, I am one of the 70% of the board. I realize that Bledsoe sucked bad this year and I really don't care if he stays or goes, as long as the replacement is better. What I can't understand is why every thread has to be turned into a trash-Bledsoe campaign. There are other aspects to the Bills and football than this one topic. It would be nice if each post wasn't twisted into some pro/anti Drew debate. It's very old and making me not even want to come here anymore.

Amen.

Novacane
01-04-2004, 08:23 AM

Then you'd have to question the credibility of about 99.9% of the writers out there.

Hardly! Have you read the Buffalo news lately? Guys on the pre-game shows on CBS and FOx have bashed him. ESPN crew has talked about him being past his prime. Sean Salsbury named him the least valueable player in the NFL. I could keep going. YOu would be right if you said most of the press USED to see him as a franchise QB but I doubt it's even 50% anymore.

Jeff1220
01-04-2004, 09:02 AM
:deadhorse

Gunzlingr
01-04-2004, 09:24 AM
:rolleyes:

Let's talk about GW and Reuben, who gives a :angry: about Drew.

saviorbledsoe
01-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i also cant really buy this story unless i see some proof.. this guy has no quotes, no player accounts, nothing.. just hearsay.. which wont hold up as fact.

truth is, we will never know.

70% huh??????????????????

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33890&highlight=should+bledsoe+return

saviorbledsoe
01-04-2004, 09:39 AM

A - Fricken - MEN!!!!!!!!!!

helmetguy
01-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Perhaps by sending Reuben home, he felt as though he was exercising the last vestige of authority he had as HC. Or, did GW make the call at the behest of KG? Whatever the reason, there's little evidence that GW would be so petty as to "embarrass" his soon-to-be ex-employers; intentionally, anyway. In hindsight, the game was one embarrassment out of many. How much worse would it have been to the team, the franchise, and the fans if, during the course of the game, teh RB/KG situation had erupted into an open revolt? As HC, GW had a lot of faults, that is true. Petty vindictiveness was not one of them.

Novacane
01-04-2004, 11:32 AM
:deadhorse

YOu make a comment that 99.9% of reporters consider DB a franchise QB and me listing just a few that don't is beating a dead horse?

Whatever! I was just trying to show you made an uniformed statement!

The_Philster
01-04-2004, 11:35 AM
:rolleyes: back on-topic
Originally posted by helmetguy
Perhaps by sending Reuben home, he felt as though he was exercising the last vestige of authority he had as HC. Or, did GW make the call at the behest of KG? Whatever the reason, there's little evidence that GW would be so petty as to "embarrass" his soon-to-be ex-employers; intentionally, anyway. In hindsight, the game was one embarrassment out of many. How much worse would it have been to the team, the franchise, and the fans if, during the course of the game, teh RB/KG situation had erupted into an open revolt? As HC, GW had a lot of faults, that is true. Petty vindictiveness was not one of them.
Then again, how well do we know the guy? That could have been a big fault of his, After all, he could never take the blame for his screw-ups.

saviorbledsoe
01-04-2004, 11:37 AM
:rolleyes:

Novacane
01-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Then again, how well do we know the guy? That could have been a big fault of his, After all, he could never take the blame for his screw-ups.

For crying out loud. Gw is fired. Why don't you quit :deadhorse

:D

The_Philster
01-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
For crying out loud. Gw is fired. Why don't you quit :deadhorse

:D :lol: