PDA

View Full Version : A defense to be scared of..

Tatonka
01-03-2004, 11:30 PM
you know.. i was just sitting here thinking about how alot of people seem to talk about the fact that our defense finished number 2.

what does that really mean? that we didnt allow a lot of yards.. we definately werent number one in catagories that i think are much more important.

what comes to mind when you think of a defense that scares you? to me.. i think of baltimore.

before you say it.. i know.. they lost today.

they also put up 7 points for their team with an int for a td and also got another turnover right before the titans were about to score. but that is not my point.. i am not just talking about today, but the whole season...

my point is.. they have something that we dont.. they intimidate... i know your all well aware that i have been blowing the "draft sean taylor and chad lavalais" horn for months.. i hope you guys got to watch the ravens defense today though, because you will see why.

the ravens have a guy named ed reed.. a pro bowl, playmaking FS. he tipped the ball that was intercepted today by the SS (the SS scored on the play). he also had a great interception in the redzone to save at least a field goal attempt. he had 8 ints this season. can you imagine having a FS that has EIGHT friggen INTs? that is more that all our cbs combined i believe.. i know it is more than nate clements and winfield combined... hell, it might be more than our entire secondary combined.

mcalister also had a pick on a ball that he outjumped the receiver on.. he was in man coverage, fly pattern.. he turned looked for the ball and actually went up and got it.. not the patented knock away with one hand that winfield pulls all the time.

their defense was missing boulaware (spelling) today as well, who is a huge force for them... i think it ended up costing them.. but they are just fun to watch though.. have been all season.

i guess my point of all this is.. i think our defense needs to change.. i dont want the defense we had this year.. i want one that people are scared of.

i wont be unhappy if grey is gone. i also wont be unhappy if we trade out winfield for a cb that can actually get more than 5 ints in 4 years. we need a FS so bad.. not an average guy.. not a stopgap.. we need a REAL playmaker in our secondary. nate has that potential, milloy has that potential, and winfield (or his replacement, lets say mcgee for the moment) has that potential, but we dont see it much... now. personally, i think that is mainly due to the lack of the pass rush consistently... that always makes the secondary look better... be we have no chance of getting any playmaking ability from our FS spot right now..

i say draft Taylor, at WHATEVER cost, and get us that. ed reeds emergence on that baltimore defense has really been something... taylor could do that for us here. in case you didnt know, taylor was reeds replacement at U of Miami. he is every bit as good, if not better.

Chad Lavalias, the DT from LSU is my pick as well, because he has such a great burst.. an incredible knack for blowing plays up in the back field.. pass rush!

i guess i am rambing a bit.. but my point is.. i dont think we should be happy with our defense just because it is "number 2"... we need to improve if we are going to win a superbowl.

now the offense.. wow.. thats a whole nother thread.

:bowl:

The_Philster
01-03-2004, 11:44 PM
I agree. We need a defense that looks more like the one we had in 93...when we forced 47 turnovers and had a league-high +26 takeaway-giveaway ratio. Giving up few yards is fine but giving up few points, and being an actual defense that wreaks havoc on opposing offenses is what will help carry us to the Super Bowl.

Ron C.
01-04-2004, 09:32 AM
As much as This team needs to go offense, I would love those two picks. Unfortunately, I think both will be gone by the time we pick (Taylor likely top 10 and Lavalais in the top of the 2nd).

kgun12
01-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Tatonka I agree with evrything you said, although I don't know much about that kid from LSU, but I will watch him tonight. All year I have said this D reminded me of an old blanket felt good but didn't really keep you warm and comfortable.

saviorbledsoe
01-04-2004, 10:07 AM
i think a speed DE would change all that for our D. You get pressure on a QB and the turnovers happen.

Tatonka
01-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by kgun12
Tatonka I agree with evrything you said, although I don't know much about that kid from LSU, but I will watch him tonight. All year I have said this D reminded me of an old blanket felt good but didn't really keep you warm and comfortable.

haha.. good analogy.. you will see plenty of lavalais tonight.. i really hope he DOES NOT have a good game, because a big game could put him in the bottom of the first rounds.. but odds are that he WILL be there when we pick in round 2. there are so many good DTs in this draft that it is pushing him down a bit.

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
i think a speed DE would change all that for our D. You get pressure on a QB and the turnovers happen.

i agree.. but i still dont know where that "good" speed DE is coming from.

Originally posted by Ron C.
As much as This team needs to go offense, I would love those two picks. Unfortunately, I think both will be gone by the time we pick (Taylor likely top 10 and Lavalais in the top of the 2nd).

i found this on him at the Great Blue North Draft Report -

"Movin' on up... No player in the 2004 draft class has made a bigger move up draft boards across the NFL than LSU DT Chad Lavalais who anchors the #2 rated Tigers aggressive defensive front. Lavalias isn't the biggest DT in the country; indeed, he's under 6-2 and plays at around 295 pounds. Lavalais, though, has a rare combination of strength and quickness; he's a low-based defender who gets off the snap very quickly; he's also has excellent footwork and balance, all of which allow him to consistently get under the pads of opposing offensive linemen and maintain that leverage when he gets there. Lavalais is primarily a run-stuffer with the ability to find the ball and excellent range up and down the line of scrimmage; he's also got one of those high-energy motors. Lavalais, however, isn't quite as effective as a pass rusher, but has improved his pass-rush technique this fall. In fact, with the SEC title game still to come this fall, Lavalais is 4th on the Tigers with 54 tackles, including 15 for loss; Lavalais also has 6 sacks, 20 QB hurries and has knocked down 5 passes. "

i thought it was funny that they said he is not a great pass rusher, but he has 6 sacks and 20 qb hurries.. that average is pretty good for an 11 game season.. 15 tfl + 20 qb hurries + 6 sacks = 41 times in 11 games that he has blown someone up in the back field, or at least pressured the play.

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

the sporting news has him at number 8.. which is low.. but i think there is definately a chance we could get the guy in the 2nd round.
1 Tommie Harris*, Oklahoma
2 Vince Wilfork*, Miami (FL)
3 Randy Starks*, Maryland
4 Marcus Tubbs, Texas
5 Darnell Dockett, Florida St.
6 DeMarco McNeil, Auburn
7 Dwan Edwards, Oregon St.
8 Chad Lavalais, LSU
9 Rodney Leisle, UCLA
10 Tommy Kelly, Miss. St.
11 Isaac Sopoaga, Hawaii

i wouldnt be unhappy with dockett, who really impressed me in his bowl game, or sopoaga, who i have seen play 4 times this year. he is a stud too.

madness
01-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe

Not just a speed DE but a bonafide pass rusher DE. Someone who is going to mess with a QB's timing. AS will benefit from it as well as the whole defense.

SoCalBillsFan
01-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Sean taylor is the real deal, it would be awesome to get him, but I doubt he'll be there.

DraftBoy
01-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Weirder things have happened than a player falling 5 or so spots.

Tatonka
01-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Weirder things have happened than a player falling 5 or so spots.

i can only hope.. he literally would mean a world of difference.

Ingtar33
01-05-2004, 02:53 AM
Taylor would be big... huge, but too many teams before us need DB help... i don't think he'll fall past the Falcons... and could go much earlier.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2004, 06:30 AM
i guess my point of all this is.. i think our defense needs to change.. i dont want the defense we had this year.. i want one that people are scared of.

I'm with ya T. All the accolades these guys got.....People seem to forget that Indy rammed the ball down our throats with 2 long 4th quarter drives to beat us.

I just hope that TD is not satisfied with the DL and rests on his laurels.

Historian
01-05-2004, 06:35 AM
I think we need a DE that can be a force, but I also think that the defense is a good foundation for new coach to build on.

kgun12
01-05-2004, 06:58 AM
Lavalais would look real good in a Bills uniform! #2 for OU looked pretty good too! I think his name was Streets?

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Taylor would be big... huge, but too many teams before us need DB help... i don't think he'll fall past the Falcons... and could go much earlier.

stop bringing me down! Ing, what do you think about schwigart (the free safety from purdue)? i am just wondering what the other best options are.. really, i am pissed we didnt take hamlin last year.

Originally posted by Billsology
I think we need a DE that can be a force, but I also think that the defense is a good foundation for new coach to build on.

i agree.. we have a great foundation to build on... i think the scheme leaves alot to be desired though.. did you see how nick saban's defense was all attack last night for LSU? i want that..

Originally posted by kgun12
Lavalais would look real good in a Bills uniform! #2 for OU looked pretty good too! I think his name was Streets?

Lavalais didnt have a great game, but he played well.. which is about what i wanted.. a great game could have moved him up to a low 1st rounder... i also wasnt impressed with Harris, OU's top DT. the guy your thinking of is Straight.. derrick i think.. OU's CB.. he should be a fairly high pick as well.

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 07:37 AM
sure am glad we won those meaningless games against the friggen Giants and Jets now.. so that we pick at 13 instead of 4... :rolleyes:

Tatonka
01-07-2004, 11:29 PM
well.. i am starting to think that if there is absolutely no way we get taylor, then udeze would be my next choice.

socalfan
01-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Hey....what about hurting a couple of DEs feelings in Buffalo;)......reminds you of Bruce Smith you say???

Tatonka
01-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
Hey....what about hurting a couple of DEs feelings in Buffalo;)......reminds you of Bruce Smith you say???

i did feel that way.. but i was not thinking about the fact that schobel will be a FA after the year is over.. after taking that into consideration, i think td very well may go after a guy like him..

i am still praying for taylor though.

socalfan
01-08-2004, 12:08 AM
I think either one would make the Bills very very good on defense. I think we would see a many more turnovers.