PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Chris Mortensen: Bills coaching spot: Favorites & Sleeper

baalworship
01-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Favorites: Charlie Weis and Mike Mularkey

Sleeper: Ohio State's Jim Tressel

What? It looks like Weis made a favorable impression on Donahoe and it got fed back to ESPN. Also, it looks like the Bills might be interested in Jim Tressel and Mike Mularkey...

The only thing that angers me is Ferentz is on the favorites for NY Giants, Bears and Falcons and doesn't make the Bills list.

Novacane
01-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Heard Mort's report too! Jim Tressel really suprised me. I don't know what Mularkey has accomplished that should make him a favorite.

shelby
01-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Mularkey?

That name is begging for mockery.:snicker:

Nice find, thanks.

The_Philster
01-04-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm not so sold on Mularkey just yet. All he's really done is run Gilbride's offense in Pittsburgh with simpler terminology than Gilbride used.

Billsouth
01-04-2004, 11:33 AM
why does td continue to bring in pittsburgh's sloppy seconds

Novacane
01-04-2004, 11:43 AM
If Mort is right about the favorites I hope we get Wiess over Mularkey.

mchurchfie
01-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by shelby
Mularkey?

Nice find, thanks.

:up:Why in the world would you bring in MulletTardkey?:huh: Pittsburgh's offense has done nothing special.:idunno: The only reason it has shined so much under him is because it was so bad with Gilbride. Turk Shonert would have even looked good taking over after KG. I like Charlie Weiss, i think that he is articulate and has been under the influence of some very good coaches. The only problem I see there is that he might not be able to work with Bledsoe and vice versa. That is the reason DB was so expendable in NE is because he couldn't work efficiently enough under Weiss's system.

Novacane
01-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by mchurchfie

I like Charlie Weiss, i think that he is articulate and has been under the influence of some very good coaches. The only problem I see there is that he might not be able to work with Bledsoe and vice versa. That is the reason DB was so expendable in NE is because he couldn't work efficiently enough under Weiss's system.

I'm sick of being called a DB hater but since you brought the subject up first I can respond. Thats EXACTLY why I want Weiss.

saviorbledsoe
01-04-2004, 11:55 AM
:drinker:

shelby
01-04-2004, 12:10 PM
:beer:

mchurchfie
01-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Don't you two get started again...on second thought, go ahead:scratch:...that was pretty :angry:ing hilarious yesterday.:snicker::D:peace:

shelby
01-04-2004, 12:17 PM
:cynic:

:club:

Novacane
01-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
Don't you two get started again...on second thought, go ahead:scratch:...that was pretty :angry:ing hilarious yesterday.:snicker::D:peace:

I don't know what he said? He's on my ignore list and he's never comming off!

mchurchfie
01-04-2004, 12:34 PM
I'll pass it on to yuh if you want.:snicker::D

shelby
01-04-2004, 12:39 PM
So...anyway....Weiss, eh?

:cynic:

imbondz
01-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
:drinker:

what? I'm not starting anything

:ontome:

mchurchfie
01-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Me neither....anymore.:sadwalk::(

saviorbledsoe
01-04-2004, 01:11 PM
lol

baalworship
01-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Interesting that the Bills have coordinators without head coaching experience on their Favs. They will interview Fassel, Jauron, and Coughlin this week. Hopefully, TD moves quickly. We need to get the best staff in place for new coach as well (O-coordinator, QB coach, o-line coach, etc)

The_Philster
01-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
QB coach

I'm thinking we might already have a decent QB coach...wearing #10

TigerJ
01-04-2004, 01:56 PM
I've been saying for a while that AVP is a natural choice for QB coach. The only question is if the relationship Drew and AVP have had as players might make it difficult for them to establish a relationship with different dynamics.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Mortensen smokes crack. I wouldn't believe him. :smoke:

helmetguy
01-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I've been saying for a while that AVP is a natural choice for QB coach. The only question is if the relationship Drew and AVP have had as players might make it difficult for them to establish a relationship with different dynamics.

I don't think there'd be any problem between AVP and DB in that scenario; provided, of course, that KG isn't the OC. With KG still here, AVP would be relegated to window-dressing status, given KG's "Don't touch it, it's mine" attitude about his offense.

As for Mularkey-Is it just coincidence that Maddox was "Comeback Player of the Year" one year, then immediately a bum the next? Too many similarities between DB/KG and TM/MM for my taste.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Ok I remember WysGuy always had stats that made people shake there head about Bledsoe.. So if Wiess became the new HC and got rid of Bledsoe, would WysGuy become WiessGuy?? JK Wys..

Jim Tressel could be interesting.. At Ohio State he has the respect of his players, and they play hard for him.. Plus he handled the Clarrett deal very well..

cordog
01-05-2004, 12:23 AM
I really really like the idea of Weiss coming to Buffalo. He comes up with great offensive game plans, he utilizes the strengths of his players while covering up their weaknesses. And hes doing all this with questionable talent. One reason Belichik is considered a "genius" is because he has great coaches around him. Whether this guy has HC experience or not, he has been a successful OC on Parcells and Belichik's staffs and that has to be worth something.
BTW, didnt Teste have one of his best years under Weiss and didnt Weiss also make Lucas look like a decent QB?

shelby
01-05-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Mortensen smokes crack. I wouldn't believe him. :smoke:

Link?:club:

:D

mybills
01-05-2004, 06:21 AM
Mularkey?

Nice find, thanks.

I was thinking the same thing..haven't we had enough malarkey?

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2004, 06:23 AM
At least Weis looks like a football coach.

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 09:55 AM
didnt weiss have some serious health issues not long ago?

socalfan
01-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Tressel......really? Next we will be hearing it is Barry Alvarez of Wisconsin.

***************from Ohio State Buckeye's website**********
Tressel’s list of accolades includes being selected as the Chevrolet National Coach of the Year in 1993, ’94 and ’97; the American Football Coaches Association National Coach of the Year in 1991, ’94 and 2002; and the Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year in 1994 and 2002. He also was the AFCA’s Regional Coach of the Year in 1987 and ’93 and a six-time pick as Ohio Coach of the Year.

In a career filled with highlights, Tressel recorded his 100th career victory against Indiana State in 1997. He is the third member of his family to reach that plateau, joining his father and his older brother, Dick (currently the OSU associate director of football operations), who coached at Hamline University in Minnesota. This past season, Jim recorded his 150th win when Ohio State defeated Wisconsin. With the win over Michigan, he equaled his father’s total at Baldwin Wallace. As a family, Lee, Jim and Dick have won 435 games. The family has another up-and-coming young coach in Dick’s son, Mike, who will serve as a graduate assistant with the OSU defense this fall.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
didnt weiss have some serious health issues not long ago?

Yeah he almost died he did that gastro-intestinal surgery because he thought he was too large and it would effect him getting a HC job.

mchurchfie
01-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
At least Weis looks like a football coach.

So didn't Hank Bullough.:eek:

mchurchfie
01-05-2004, 04:27 PM

Link?:club:

:D link (http://mchurchfie.freeyellow.com/enquirer2.jpg)

:church:

caveboy
01-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Here's another 'dream' scenario that keeps me up at nights: KG ends up staying, (to keep Drew company). We get Weiss. We don't draft a QB. The team goes 7-9, or 8-8, but it's really not KG or Drew's fault – it's because it was Weiss' first year, (or the other favorite I hear: "it's the O-line". We then get DB/KG for another year.

And drafting A QB is NOT unrealistic. How many people last year during the draft freaked out when we got Magahee when we didn't apparently need any more RBs? Looks like now though there a lot of people chomping at the bit to see WM out there running.

AVP won't cut it long term, and Travis won't even see significant PT for 10 years at this rate.

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 09:25 PM
You got to stop eating anchovie pizza late at night before bedtime.