PDA

View Full Version : Bills Preparing a Contract Offer for Jim Fassel.

deathadder
01-04-2004, 02:06 PM
As I am listening to Sporting News Radio, that what they said on their sporting news flash. They said that Buffalo Bills and Jim Fassel are close to an agreement.

shelby
01-04-2004, 02:07 PM
:cynic:

baalworship
01-04-2004, 02:08 PM
How can we be close to an agreement when TD is supposed to interview him Tuesday? This scares the hell out of me.

madness
01-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by deathadder
As I am listening to Sporting News Radio, that what they said on their sporting news flash. They said that Buffalo Bills and Jim Fassel are close to an agreement.

And I wondered how things could get any worse!

:lastyr:

Dozerdog
01-04-2004, 02:11 PM
I'd need to see a link .....

Dozerdog
01-04-2004, 02:13 PM
I'll bet dollars to donuts they messed up and mean the Redskins instead of the Bills

shelby
01-04-2004, 02:15 PM
i hope you're right:pray:

Ebenezer
01-04-2004, 02:21 PM

one word: disaster

Originally posted by Dozerdog
I'll bet dollars to donuts they messed up and mean the Redskins instead of the Bills

let us pray.

baalworship
01-04-2004, 02:23 PM
The rumors on Profootballtalk.com said the Redskins #1 choice is now Ray Rhodes because he will lick Snyder & Cerrato's boots. Also, Fassel's interview in Chicago was cancelled because Fassel's agent wouldn't confirm or deny to the Bears GM that a secret deal with Fassel and another team was already in place.

I thought, who would be dumb enough to do that? Oh, maybe the guy who hired GW over John Fox. At least the Dolphins will be rid of Wanny by next year. Look out for the pain train Bills fans.

:madcurse: :madcurse: :madcurse:

deathadder
01-04-2004, 02:24 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ANGELO CANCELS INTERVIEW WITH FASSEL

Regarding Jerry Angelo, we're told he canceled his planned interview with former Giants coach Jim Fassel because Fassel's agent would neither confirm nor deny rumors that Fassel has a secret deal in place with another team (most likely the Bills). Angelo, we hear, was pissed off by this response, so he called off the meeting.

Angelo will now wait for Nick Saban as Angelo continues to review other possible candidates. But none have blown him away, we're told.

We hear that Angelo liked Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith more than he thought he would, but Smith apparently is leaning toward accepting the Falcons job, if offered.

Angelo wasn't impressed by Pats defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, or by 49ers defensive coordinator Jim "Diddly Poo Jr." Mora.

So if Saban stays at LSU (or goes to the Giants) and if Smith picks Atlanta, Angelo might have to go back to the drawing board.

And with former Cardinals head coach Dave McGinnis getting fewer sniffs than a St. Bernard in a room full of wiener dogs, look for the McCaskeys to start asking Angelo when/if he'll give serious consideration to McGinnis, who served as the team's linebackers coach from 1986 until 1995 and who remains a favorite of team ownership.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know its from a rumormill but atleast I have a link for someone else reporting it. If I can get the link for sporting news I will post it. But just listen to sportings news radio and it is right in their flash.

Ebenezer
01-04-2004, 02:25 PM
your going to make me puke up my dinner...

Dozerdog
01-04-2004, 02:32 PM
If PFT says it- it's gotta be garbage

Devin
01-04-2004, 02:39 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! OMG please lord no. I cant take Fassel here.

WTF, i feel like a dozen obcenities are just bursting to come out of my mouth.

TD dont make me hate you.

The Spaz
01-04-2004, 02:44 PM
The only good thing if this is true is that we will most likely get their o-line coach as well and maybe we will use the running game more as well as the tightends.:dizzy:

The Spaz
01-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Not only that but didn't they hav ethe top rated offense? I may be wrong but i see that as a good thing because our defense is pretty damn good and to be good on offense and defense would be something special.:dizzy:

Throne Logic
01-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Fassell is not the guy I want to see in Buffalo. He did the same thing GW did. He took a team with playoff expectations and helped them to thoroughly underachieve.

I hope this is not going to happen.

Bufftp
01-04-2004, 03:04 PM
I think at this time all these rumors are just a bunch of Mularky.

ArcticWildMan
01-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I'll take Fassel over Mularky anyday!!

The Spaz
01-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
I'll take Fassel over Mularky anyday!!

Amen to that!:beer:

baalworship
01-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Why not just wait till Wanny is fired and get him. Mediocrity and irrelevancy, here we come. Yeah! Bills outbid Cardinals for their top choice. 7-9, Here we come!

The Spaz
01-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
Why not just wait till Wanny is fired and get him. Mediocrity and irrelevancy, here we come. Yeah! Bills outbid Cardinals for their top choice. 7-9, Here we come!

The only thing I can say is Fassel at least got to the Superbowl.

Novacane
01-04-2004, 03:22 PM
We could do a lot worse than Fassel

Turf
01-04-2004, 03:30 PM
At least we're not getting Chicago's old coach. I would like to see what Green could do, or Coughlin.

baalworship
01-04-2004, 03:39 PM
We could do a lot better. With Belichick in our division mediocrity ain't going to cut it. Pats fans will celebrate this hiring like they did when Wanny was retained. It means Pats will stay on top for years.

Ebenezer
01-04-2004, 03:54 PM
According to the BuffNews this morning, Len Pasquarelli (a friend of TD's since they were teenagers) said that the Bills will announce, in about 3 weeks, that the new coach will be Tom Coughlin...

....we can only hope.

saviorbledsoe
01-04-2004, 03:58 PM
I like this! I hope its true. Fassel is a good guy, brings emotion, and offense. He took a less talented team to the superbowl.

wbat27
01-04-2004, 04:00 PM
he took that team far, what is wrong with fassel. I am glad we are going after him. You can't blame the coach for injuries or bull**** calls(49er game). And tiki fumbled to much i tink the giants ****ed up

saviorbledsoe
01-04-2004, 04:03 PM
he also seems like a fun, yet disciplinarian(sp) kind of coach. Something this team needs. I hope he guarantees playoffs the moment he walks in the press room like he did the year the giants went to the bowl.

baalworship
01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Both Moulds and Pat Williams said they would like Fassel on the E Moulds show. That also scares me. When they mentioned Coughlin, Pat Williams face drained of blood. Obviously these players are scared of discipline and a coach that will make them toe the line.

Ebenezer
01-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Both Moulds and Pat Williams said they would like Fassel on the E Moulds show. That also scares me. When they mentioned Coughlin, Pat Williams face drained of blood. Obviously these players are scared of discipline and a coach that will make them toe the line.

TOO BAD!!! Lack of discipline is the number one reason why this team was not successful under GW.

BillyT92679
01-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I like Fassel a lot. I think he would be an excellent fit for Buffalo.

ArcticWildMan
01-04-2004, 04:18 PM
No Eb, it was a total lack of an offensive gameplan. Lack of discipline was not the reason Drew couldn't stand in the pocket for more than 2 seconds, llack of discipline was not the reason we chose to pass instead of running the ball on 3rd and short. Lack of discipline was not why we punted from the 32 yard line.

lordofgun
01-04-2004, 04:33 PM
I'm all for Fassel. He's a good coach who has taken a mediocre team to the Super Bowl. :up:

nolimit
01-04-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm lovin this!!! Fassel is the man!

HAMMER
01-04-2004, 05:23 PM
What I like about Fassel is his emotion and I think he can be the motivator that GW was not. What I don't like is some of the game decisions the guy has made, like GW. Not sure how to feel but I can say it is going to be an improvement over GW.

cordog
01-04-2004, 05:25 PM
One thing you can count on with Fassell is that he surrounds himself with a great coaching staff. Hell his DC from a couple years ago(Fox) is making a solid playoff run.

justasportsfan
01-04-2004, 07:19 PM
We could do a lot better. With Belichick in our division mediocrity ain't going to cut it. Pats fans will celebrate this hiring like they did when Wanny was retained. It means Pats will stay on top for years.

Anyone think Fassel could play chess with Bellichick? I think Coughlin could or match BB on gameday.

Wait til' Colvin starts to get better and Washington has a full year under his belt w/ BB.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2004, 07:23 PM
PFT is known to guess. Disregard.

shelby
01-04-2004, 07:32 PM
From KFFL:

Cardinals | Fassel Interviewed - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 09:08:20 -0800

Updating a previous report, the Associated Press reports the Arizona Cardinals have interviewed former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel Saturday, Jan. 3, about their vacant head coaching position. Fassel was pleased with his visit. "I was looking forward to this trip," Fassel said. "I had a great relationship with the Bidwills when I came here, and they treated me very well."
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl?PHPSESSID=5663f726b2e3ed7e3c8230780d933181

Turf
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure I would accept a coaching job in Arizona. I can't imagine why any qualified head coach would. They have zero fan base, and the owner is a tool.
I really doubt Fassel will go to Arizona.

socalfan
01-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I know the season seems like it ended months ago.....but Fassel?? Didn't the lowly Bills beat the stuffing out of the Giants who were coached by Fassel?? If GW and KG could do that to Fassel, why would we want him to coach the Bills......better that he spend the rest of his coaching career in Arizona.

Tatonka
01-04-2004, 08:13 PM
if pft is reporting it now before we interviewed him.. i am positive that it will never happen.. so dont worry socal.. we are safe.

The Natrix
01-04-2004, 08:48 PM
At 11pm tonight they are going to talk about Fassel on MSG.

McBFLO
01-04-2004, 08:56 PM
ive looked all over the net, well, the credible sites anyways, and there was nothing about fassel and the bills. i also listened to SPN and they didnt say anything about this either. plus, len pasquarelli, who would know about what TD is up to said in an article that he thinks Coughlin will be the Bills next coach.

LarryBoy
01-04-2004, 09:29 PM
My local FOX news just reported that Fassel may have a job by the end of the week and that its rumored that the Bills have prepared an offer and its on the table.

losman2evans
01-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Fassel, Coughlin, Haslett, Saben, Greene,

any are upgrades from GW and Gilbride and any have the capability to take this team to the next level.

Bert102176
01-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Fassel sucks, I would probably kill myself if he signs here as a head coach

The Natrix
01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
At 11pm tonight they are going to talk about Fassel on MSG.

They didn't say anything about Buffalo except he is going there after he visits Chicago.

They showed a little clip of Fassel and he said how in today's era of the sal cap, the Cards can be turned around. Still, he didn't sound to enthusiastic about it.

I think he will land in Buffalo. He is saving the best for last.

The Natrix
01-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

They didn't say anything about Buffalo except he is going there after he visits Chicago.

They showed a little clip of Fassel and he said how in today's era of the sal cap, the Cards can be turned around. Still, he didn't sound to enthusiastic about it.

I think he will land in Buffalo. He is saving the best for last.

Now Glazer is saying Chicago is not going interview him because he will be signed by the end of the week. He said he thinks it is "between A - Buffalo and B - Washington."

O, and if anyone cares, he said the Jets want G-dub for D-coordinator.

Turf
01-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Only GW and Gilbride would go to Arizona.

The Natrix
01-04-2004, 10:53 PM
I don't know. I think trying to turn the Cards around would be a good gig.

I gaurantee that if Arizona even had one contending year in the past, the attendence would be a lot better. You can't expect the fans to come out if you have NEVER gave them a taste of a good product. If you build it, they will come...

Nighthawk
01-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Fassel doesn't suck...GW sucked. Please people, I truly believe that some people in this town are unhappy unless we get Parcells. Who is better than Fassel and is available??? I personally like Coughlin, but it really looks like Fassel will be named the Bills next head coach. I'm OK with that...it's better than getting a college coach or an unproven coordinator. Fassel has won in this league and is very offensive minded, so he may be just what the Bills are looking for.

Tatonka
01-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by LarryBoy
My local FOX news just reported that Fassel may have a job by the end of the week and that its rumored that the Bills have prepared an offer and its on the table.

i would like to know what kind of offer they have prepaired for a guy that has not even interviewed yet.. rofl.

Ingtar33
01-05-2004, 02:44 AM
Fassel makes Buffalo appealing to FA players... Coughlin would make us about as appealing as the plague.

Coughlin is almost a profanity in NFL dressing rooms... while i don't think anyone thinks he's a poor coach, he sure is an unreasonable *******...

Personally I'd like some fellow like captain Kirk of Iowa, or Nick Saban of LSU, or take a flier on Norm Chow of USC, or bring back Marv Levy... but I have no serious problem with Fassel...

I just don't think he's a great coach.

Ickybaluky
01-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Coughlin may have a reputation as a hard-ass, but the guy can coach. He is a winner.

Who is to say Coughlin wouldn't have learned from the mistakes that led to his downfall in Jacksonville? Mark Brunnel still likes him, and he was harder on Brunnel than any player.

Remember all the bad things people were saying about Belichick after Cleveland. NE isn't unhappy they took the chance to get him.

Coughtlin will be a great hire for any team.

justasportsfan
01-05-2004, 08:06 AM
How many times has TD and RW talked about our O? I would think that Fassel would be of interest to both because of the state that our O is in.

Although I like Coughlin, he may try to revamp the entire team where Fassel would just fix the O. The Giants have had above average OL under him and I think that since both TD and RW think highly of Drew they would consider Fassel to revive Drews declining performance.

I think TD is leaning towards an offensive minded coach. Not that Coughlin couldn't fix our O but Fassel wouldn't require as much power that Coughlin would.

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm on board with Fassel. :up:

TedMock
01-05-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm on board with Fassel as well. I don't think he's a great coach but I do think he's an upgrade. I know his offenses haven't been stellar but he hasn't had a huge amount of talent. I do think Kerry Collins is very underrated and Fassel did help revive KC. Amani Toomer is good but not as good as Moulds. Hilliard is better than Josh Reed but Bobby Shaw's the better 3rd WR. Tiki Barber vs. Travis Henry? Not even close. They do have Shockey who was injured most of this season. Defensively they have better DE's but we're better overall in just about all other areas. Fassel also has passes specifically designed for the RB! What a nice change of pace that'd be. He's not my first choice but I'd be happy with him. I really think he'd be an upgrade given the offensive talent we have. If he comes in, we'll most likely draft Kellen Winslow 2, if he's available.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 08:57 AM
If he comes in, we'll most likely draft Kellen Winslow 2, if he's available.-TedMock

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
If he comes in, we'll most likely draft Kellen Winslow 2, if he's available.

you can bet on that.. ugh.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2004, 09:09 AM
I would rather take a flyer on Charlie Weis than hire Fassel, but Fassel is not the end of the world.

No to Winslow.

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I would rather take a flyer on Charlie Weis than hire Fassel, but Fassel is not the end of the world.

No to Winslow.

we all know your love of the TE as well.. rofl

TedMock
01-05-2004, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't mind Winslow here at all. He's not yet matured so that would bother me a little but the kid has attitude and swagger. We could really use a little more fire. Moulds has that but nobody else really does. I'd welcome a little piss and vinegar to our offense. Henry's a workhorse and deserves all the respect in the world but he's relatively quiet. I respect that too. We need a little of both though. Silent but deadly is very respectable but that's not what gets other players fired up. Let's face it, some guys need to be motivated by others.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
I wouldn't mind Winslow here at all. He's not yet matured so that would bother me a little but the kid has attitude and swagger. We could really use a little more fire. Moulds has that but nobody else really does. I'd welcome a little piss and vinegar to our offense. Henry's a workhorse and deserves all the respect in the world but he's relatively quiet. I respect that too. We need a little of both though. Silent but deadly is very respectable but that's not what gets other players fired up. Let's face it, some guys need to be motivated by others.

I respectfully disagree.

We already have too many big mouth guys who never won anything.

Novacane
01-05-2004, 10:07 AM
I would not say it's a given we draft a TE if Fassel comes here. I sure hope not. He has Tony Hunter written all over him IMO.

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Winslow or no Winslow-

It's all about who's on the board or who wants to trade up when we pick.

If Sean Taylor is there and we pick Winslow, I'd be upset. If the Eagles want to trade up and give up a #1 and a #2 and we are looking for linemen lower in Rd 1, I'd rather have TD pull a trade like he did in the 2001 draft.

If our top wish list of players are all gone, and no one wants to trade up- then Winslow wouldn't keep me up at night.

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I would not say it's a given we draft a TE if Fassel comes here. I sure hope not. He has Tony Hunter written all over him IMO.

Why is it a given?

Just because he drafted Shockey? His first 5 seasons in NY didn't really feature a TE. They feature Shockey because he's good. I bet he'd rather have drafted a solid O lineman than the oft injured Shockey if he knew then what he knows now.

saviorbledsoe
01-05-2004, 11:02 AM
HMMMMMMM......When is Strahans contract up with the G Men?

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 11:13 AM

dont know much about hunter. elaborate.

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
HMMMMMMM......When is Strahans contract up with the G Men?

strahan just signed a huge huge deal that will keep him in NY for the rest of his career.

mchurchfie
01-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

A TE version of Eric Flowers who Buffalo drafted No. 1 many years ago.:down:

Throne Logic
01-05-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure why so many of you are OK with Fassell. He led the Giants to a very disappointing season this year. At least GW's guys faught up until the last game, Fassells quit a month ago.

Fassell went to the Superbowl based upon the strength of his Coordinators. Look what's happened since Fox went to Carolina. Think that it's a coincidence that the Giants have gone south while the Panthers are now looking good in the Playoffs?

To me, this is like the Giants looking to hire Gregg. Fassell's team finished just as bad in the standings as Buffalo.

deathadder
01-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Heres what else Pro Football Talk had to say:

http://www.profootballtalk.com

FASSEL TO LAND IN BUFFALO THIS WEEK?

We're picking up strong indications that G.M. Tom Donahoe will name Jim Fassel the Bills new head coach this week.

Fassel has become the hottest available candidate on the coaching circuit, his 4-12 record in 2003 notwithstanding.

After Fassel's termination was announced, we reported that league insiders believed based on Fassel's demeanor that he already had a secret deal in place elsewhere. Given that former Bills coach Gregg Williams was sinking amid the final year of his contract, it's not so far fetched to hypothesize that Donahoe and Fassel were talking before Fassel's fate in New York was sealed.

Never mind the string of candidates that has paraded through Orchard Park this week. Donahoe knows that he must comply with the league's minority hiring guidelines, and he has.

And if, as some suspect, an arrangement with Fassel was in place even before Williams got the boot, Donahoe's ability to keep it secret ensured that the minority candidates would show up for the interviews. Plus, Fassel's decision to go forward with interviews in Washington and Arizona before heading to Buffalo could have been a deft effort to quell speculation that a pre-arranged deal already had been reached.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 12:01 PM

We're picking up strong indications that G.M. Tom Donahoe will name Jim Fassel the Bills new head coach this week.

Fassel has become the hottest available candidate on the coaching circuit, his 4-12 record in 2003 notwithstanding.

After Fassel's termination was announced, we reported that league insiders believed based on Fassel's demeanor that he already had a secret deal in place elsewhere. Given that former Bills coach Gregg Williams was sinking amid the final year of his contract, it's not so far fetched to hypothesize that Donahoe and Fassel were talking before Fassel's fate in New York was sealed.

Never mind the string of candidates that has paraded through Orchard Park this week. Donahoe knows that he must comply with the league's minority hiring guidelines, and he has.

And if, as some suspect, an arrangement with Fassel was in place even before Williams got the boot, Donahoe's ability to keep it secret ensured that the minority candidates would show up for the interviews. Plus, Fassel's decision to go forward with interviews in Washington and Arizona before heading to Buffalo could have been a deft effort to quell speculation that a pre-arranged deal already had been reached.

Would TD go through all of this for Jim Fassell?:dizzy::confused::eek:

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 12:04 PM
IF this is true then TD must feel very very strongly about Fassell!

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 12:08 PM

PFT is the last place I'd go for inside info. They make wild guesses and are more interested in awful attempts at "hip" humor than anything.

I bet 75% of their content is made up, the rest are educated guesses.

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Correction- I would not use "Educated" and PFT in the same sentance. My bad.

JJamezz
01-05-2004, 12:30 PM

Secret deals... faux-interviews to 'quell speculation'...

Gimme a f'n break... What is this, the Bills offseason or the freakin' X-Files?!?!?

What's next, RW is the leader of an alien plot to colonize Earth?? (Okay, he does LOOK like an alien...) TD was in the grassy knoll?? Mike Williams is Bigfoot??

Seems we went through all this last time around - too much 'speculating', not enough fact-uating. The fact that Clayton and now PFT predicted this, to me means with about 99% certainty that Fassel will end up elsewhere. Regardless of how GW worked out, TD is nothing if not thorough, and I just don't see him making his choice this time around without interviewing ALL the top candidates, and then taking another week ruminating over all his info.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by JJamezz

Secret deals... faux-interviews to 'quell speculation'...

Gimme a f'n break... What is this, the Bills offseason or the freakin' X-Files?!?!?

What's next, RW is the leader of an alien plot to colonize Earth?? (Okay, he does LOOK like an alien...) TD was in the grassy knoll?? Mike Williams is Bigfoot??

Seems we went through all this last time around - too much 'speculating', not enough fact-uating. The fact that Clayton and now PFT predicted this, to me means with about 99% certainty that Fassel will end up elsewhere. Regardless of how GW worked out, TD is nothing if not thorough, and I just don't see him making his choice this time around without interviewing ALL the top candidates, and then taking another week ruminating over all his info.

:rofl:

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I bet that's where PFT get half of their material. A Mort or Clayton or Prisco puts out a rumor and they take it to another level.

Novacane
01-05-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Dozerdog
Why is it a given?

I DO NOT think it is a given we take Winslow if JF comes here. Some of the other posters thought it was likely and I was responding to them.

deathadder
01-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Even more links:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bside04.html

Popular Fassel falls off Bears' wish list

January 4, 2004

BY MIKE MULLIGAN Staff Reporter Advertisement
You can cross Jim Fassel off the list.

The former New York Giants coach and the only offensive-minded coach the Bears were set to interview, is no longer scheduled to meet with general manger Jerry Angelo. Fassel, believed to top the wish lists of the Washington Redskins and Arizona Cardinals, also will meet with the Buffalo Bills, who are rumored to be making a big push for his services.

Angelo and Fassel apparently agreed the coach might already have a job before the Bears could even sit down with him. A league source said the Bills already were discussing an offer and Fassel was close to a deal.

Novacane
01-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Gotta luv this quote from the suntimes article

''All the good jobs -- New York, Atlanta and Chicago -- they're all on hold until Saban decides what he wants to do,'' the source said.

What makes the NY and Chicago jobs so great?

Atlanta and Buffalo are tops IMO

Chicago and New York ok

washington, Arz, and Oakland bottom only because of thier owners

cordog
01-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Saban isnt going anywhere. He just hit a big payday last night. He is the highest paid college coach now.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by cordog
Saban isnt going anywhere. He just hit a big payday last night. He is the highest paid college coach now.

Exactly he is going to be getting $1.00 more than Stoops.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Gotta luv this quote from the suntimes article

''All the good jobs -- New York, Atlanta and Chicago -- they're all on hold until Saban decides what he wants to do,'' the source said.

What makes the NY and Chicago jobs so great?

Atlanta and Buffalo are tops IMO

Chicago and New York ok

washington, Arz, and Oakland bottom only because of thier owners

Big media and more off the field money making opportunities.

Saban will get $2,500,001 in his current contract, and rumor is that LSU wants to rip that up and give him a contact at $3 mil per year. Coupled with shoe contract, camps, local TV and the like, it's hard to imagine him accepting less than $3.5 per in the NFL.

It's also hard to imagine any team paying him that much.

If it's about the money with Saban, he's staying at LSU. If it's about ego, he'll go NFL.

Fat Tony
01-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Even more links:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bside04.html

Popular Fassel falls off Bears' wish list

January 4, 2004

BY MIKE MULLIGAN Staff Reporter Advertisement
You can cross Jim Fassel off the list.

The former New York Giants coach and the only offensive-minded coach the Bears were set to interview, is no longer scheduled to meet with general manger Jerry Angelo. Fassel, believed to top the wish lists of the Washington Redskins and Arizona Cardinals, also will meet with the Buffalo Bills, who are rumored to be making a big push for his services.

Angelo and Fassel apparently agreed the coach might already have a job before the Bears could even sit down with him. A league source said the Bills already were discussing an offer and Fassel was close to a deal.

Huge leap from"Big push for his services" to "Secret contract offer'' (without even an interview non the less)

ArcticWildMan
01-05-2004, 02:55 PM
If TD has leaked that we are going to hire fassel, you can take it to the bank we will hire somebody else.

Everybody forgets that TD is the MASTER at misinformation. :snicker:

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2004, 03:23 PM
The Sun Times is a rag. They hired Mariotti, didn't they?

LtBillsFan66
01-05-2004, 03:24 PM
This rumor has run rampant.

The_Philster
01-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

He was OUR first round pick in 1983. The one we used on Kelly was the one we got from the Browns for Tom Cousineau.

Novacane
01-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
They hired Mariotti, didn't they?

I hate him!

JJamezz
01-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Just a heads up... Felser just mentioned on WNSA that he spoke to someone 'very high up' in the Bears organization today, and the cancellation of Fassel's interview had NOTHING to do with the current rumors of him coming to Buffalo. As to those rumors, they are just that - they said they knew nothing more about it.

Novacane
01-05-2004, 05:10 PM
WGR55 had a reporter from Chicago on. He said his sources in the Bears front office told him they expected him to sign with another team, probably Buffalo by the end of the week and that did not fit thier time table for interviews. Thats why the interview was cancelled according to this reporters sources.

Novacane
01-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by JJamezz
Just a heads up... Felser just mentioned on WNSA that he spoke to someone 'very high up' in the Bears organization today, and the cancellation of Fassel's interview had NOTHING to do with the current rumors of him coming to Buffalo. As to those rumors, they are just that - they said they knew nothing more about it.

I agree rumors are just that and we really don't know what is going on but I don't put any stock in what Felser says after what I heard him say last week.

When a caller suggested Feely from Philly as a potential FA QB, Felser said the eagles would probably franchise or transition him because good backup QB's are hard to find.

John Doe
01-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Fassel? Well, lets see:

1997 10 wins 5 losses 1 tie Looks Good!!!
1998 8 wins 8 losses Looks Bad.
1999 7 wins 9 losses Looks Bad
2000 12 wins 4 losses Looks REAL Good!!!
2001 7 wins 9 losses Looks Bad.
2002 10 wins 6 losses Looks Good!!
2003 4 wins 10 losses Looks REAL Bad.

Not the picture of consistency, season to season. Seven (7) seasons to work with, a winning record in his FIRST year, and the best he could come up with is 58-53-1. Most of the posters on this board would have run him out of town after 1999. We can do better - we can do worse. I have to believe that we can do better.

deathadder
01-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Thought I would post some more links:

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#010504

Monday January 5, 2003

Jauron Interviews: As expected Dick Jauron became the fifth person to interview for the open head coaching position with the Bills. He was interviewed today by Tom Donahoe and joins candidates Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, and Jerry Gray who have talked to Donahoe. Jim Fassel appears to be the favorite and talked to Donahoe by phone today. As we reported earlier, he will interview tomorrow for the position. Rumors say that he may leave town with an offer in hand.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Thought I would post some more links:

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#010504

Monday January 5, 2003

Jauron Interviews: As expected Dick Jauron became the fifth person to interview for the open head coaching position with the Bills. He was interviewed today by Tom Donahoe and joins candidates Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, and Jerry Gray who have talked to Donahoe. Jim Fassel appears to be the favorite and talked to Donahoe by phone today. As we reported earlier, he will interview tomorrow for the position. Rumors say that he may leave town with an offer in hand.

As they reported? Who hasn't reported that?:confused2

Fat Tony
01-05-2004, 06:00 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ANGELO CANCELS INTERVIEW WITH FASSEL

Regarding Jerry Angelo, we're told he canceled his planned interview with former Giants coach Jim Fassel because Fassel's agent would neither confirm nor deny rumors that Fassel has a secret deal in place with another team (most likely the Bills). .

. Jim Fassel appears to be the favorite and talked to Donahoe by phone today. As we reported earlier, he will interview tomorrow for the position. Rumors say that he may leave town with an offer in hand.

I love it. Someone says there is a secret deal, and now everyone rolls with it.