• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoCalBillsFan
    Expert on Experts
    • Jul 2002

What is so bad about fassel?

I'm not exactly going crazy about having him as head coach, but I don't understand what is wrong with the guy either. The giants teams he had, IMO, never had THAT much talent, and they were in the playoffs all the time. Tiki barber, amani toomer, and kerry collins? Come on, we wouldn't be happy if that was our offense, would we? This year's team was killed by injuries, the whole offensive line was decimated and they lost the starting QB. It's the first bad season he's had I think.

More than that, he is the complete opposite of GW: an offensive mind, and someone who can deal with the media. He won't give the BS answers GW did after losses. He's a motivator, he seems like a smart guy, he handled himself with class, he has head coaching experience and he's been to he super bowl.

Maybe he's not bill parcells, but why are some of you so down on him? He seems like a good candidate to me!
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

He took an average team to the Super Bowl. Imagine what he could do with this roster. If he makes it as the head coach, I don't see a reason to complain. I have a friend who's a big Giants fan and she was upset they fired him.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• baalworship
      • May 2003

He's not known for great game day decisions or adjustments. Basically, Giants fans were calling for his head for years for the same reasons why people wanted GW out of here.

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

yeah my problem is while I dont think hes a bad coach he isnt a step up, mediocre at best I guess. More of a coordinator.
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• baalworship
          • May 2003

Here's the stats:Jim Fassel
          Head Coach

+--------------+----------+
          | Reg. Season | Playoffs |
          +----------+--------------+----------+
          | Year TM | W L T | W L |
          | 1997 nyg | 10 5 1 | 0 1 |
          | 1998 nyg | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |
          | 1999 nyg | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |
          | 2000 nyg | 12 4 0 | 2 1 |
          | 2001 nyg | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |
          | 2002 nyg | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
          | 2003 nyg | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |
          | TOTALS | 58 53 1 | 2 3 |

Only 1 in 7 years did his team get more than 10 wins. And many of those years the NFC East was awful. 2 Playoff wins in 7 years. Again, what's so great about this?! John fox got an 11 win season and a playoff win in his 2nd year.

How about his offensive prowess, you ask? Here you go:

This is how his team fared ranking wise in points and yards on the offensive side of the ball:

Year Points Yards

1997 21 28
          1998 23 29
          1999 20 16
          2000 15 12
          2001 21 9
          2002 22 7
          2003 30 19

Those numbers are out of 30-32 teams. That's what you want in Buffalo?!

Here are Gilbride led offenses, the guy he's going to be "upgrading"

Gilbride

2002 11 8
          2003 31 28

Fassel NEVER had an offensive year as good as Gilbride's 2002. And for those who say he didn't have weapons, right. NY has more receivers than we do and had TONS of options last year with Toomer, Hilliard, Carter, Shockey, and Barber. Yet with all those weapons the Giants finished 22 in scoring in 2002.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

i'd take fassel over the last nitwit we had any day.
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• The Natrix
              • Jul 2002

Definitely not at the top of my list, but I wouldn't really be to upset if he was hired. I'll judge him once I see him in action with this team.

If he doesn't get rid of Bledsoe, and Drew doesn't play well consistently, I will be calling for his head though.

Byrd.

Comment

• Alluro
                You Don't Stand a Chance !
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by baalworship

. And for those who say he didn't have weapons, right. NY has more receivers than we do and had TONS of options last year with Toomer, Hilliard, Carter, Shockey, and Barber. Yet with all those weapons the Giants finished 22 in scoring in 2002.
                He had kerry collins at qb, who is basically dredsoe lite (same age, height, weight, and style of play). Secondly, tiki barber is not a front line running back. He's solid between the 20s but then fades more and more as the team nears the endzone; he is not the back that can carry a team to the superbowl....Toomer? he's a good NFL starting WR, but he's not an all-pro player like a Randy Moss or Eric Moulds. Shockey is nice, but there is onlyu so much he can do......Hilliard? Carter? WOW, now that is talent :)
                Last edited by Alluro; 01-04-2004, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• baalworship
                  • May 2003

Toomer is not Randy Moss. Gotcha. But finishing 22 out of 32 teams with that kind of talent is not exciting. Hilliard is way better than Reed, at this point. Shockey is better than Riemersma was. Plus, that's with the best offensive line coach in the NFL. 22 in points SUCKS!

Again:

30 in points. Horrible Horrible Horrible

Everyone wants to kill Gilbride for a bad year yet hire Fassel with this track record?!

Comment

• Alluro
                    You Don't Stand a Chance !
                    • Jul 2002

With an average QB, an average RB, an average WR core, good TE, and makeshift line, what do you want?.....Hilliard being better than reed is not saying a whole lot at this point

Comment

• baalworship
                      • May 2003

I'm talking about last year. Their WR corps in 2002 was not average.

Here's your average WR corps:Wide Receivers
                      +----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+
                      | Name | G | RSH YARD AVG TD | REC YARD AVG TD |
                      +----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+
                      | Tim Carter | 4 | 3 28 9.3 0 | 2 37 18.5 0 |
                      | Ron Dixon | 8 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 22 379 17.2 2 |
                      | Ike Hilliard | 7 | 1 7 7.0 0 | 27 386 14.3 2 |
                      | Daryl Jones | 13 | 1 4 4.0 0 | 8 90 11.2 0 |
                      | Amani Toomer | 16 | 1 2 2.0 0 | 82 1343 16.4 8 |
                      +----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------

1343 Yards for Toomer. Wow, he sucks.

Here's your "good" TE:

Jeremy Shockey | 15 | 74 894 12.1 2 |

Almost 1000 yards and Pro-Bowler.

Here's your average QB:

Kerry Collins | 16 | 335 545 61.5 4076 7.5 19 14 | 43 -3 0 |

Over 4000 yards.

Again with a QB that throws for over 4000 yards, a WR that catches for 1343, a TE that catches almost 1000 yards, and a RB that rushes for 1386 yards AND catches for 600 yards they finshed 22nd in points.

22nd in points. And this trend has been a Jim Fassel Giants trend. Moving the ball but not scoring.

No thanks.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by baalworship
                        Basically, Giants fans were calling for his head for years for the same reasons why people wanted GW out of here.
                        Are Giants fans as knowledgeable as bills fans when it comes to football? Most (not all) finfans are trying to put a spin on why Wanny was retained. Their trying to make sense of it. Poor guys. In Denial? Shocked? Just like Wanny ran the bears to the ground, he'll do the same with the fins. At least The bears were smart to fire him. DUH fins extended Wanny to 2005.

Put a decent coach to run the talent we have now there won't be throwing on 1st and goal from the 1 yd. line. Get a coach who knows the run and our rb. situation will be intense. Henry is a warrior and McGahee has to take the job away from him. Can't wait to see that battle. .

Oh and BTW, we need a coach that won't pull a Wade Philipps on our rb's or it could get ugly.
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-04-2004, 07:05 PM.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Winfield_26
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

-No other WR over 400 yards
                          -5th round pick (Jones) plays more than Carter and Hillard
                          -TD-INT ration is very avg
                          -7.5 avg yards per catch? Id like to see that a little bit higher
                          -Shockey sure can catch too bad it only was in the endzone twice

Your nitpicking the stats. His team was MEDIOCRE at best, and we havent even looked at the D yet.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The_Philster
                            • Jul 2002

In 2002, Sean Payton called the offense the first half of the season. The team seemed to do better when Fassel took over the play-calling.
                            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• baalworship
                              • May 2003

If the 2002 Giants were mediocre what do you think the 2004 Bills are going to be on the offensive side of the ball? Hey, if you want to make excuses for the guy, fine. The fact is that Jim Fassel's Giants NEVER had a top 10 team in scoring and only Once out of 7 years had a team that wasn't 20th or worst.

I don't understand when Jim Fassel became this offensive mastermind and how he will become this when he takes over the Bills. I am desperate for a real coach here. I just don't see Fassel as the guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X