PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to shore up the D?

THATHURMANATOR
10-07-2002, 12:26 PM
Can anything be done?? Is it the coaching?? Just wondering what you guys feel!

THATHURMANATOR
10-07-2002, 01:08 PM
obviously we need to get more pressure on the QB. Blitzing more would be my solution.

clumping platelets
10-07-2002, 01:18 PM
I do not believe much can be done this season other than allowing the young players to gain experience and have players gain chemistry with each other. Outside of Newman and Polk, the entire LBing crew is new. Very young DL outside of Ahanotu.....Pat Williams only a 4 or 5 yr vet. The secondary is even younger but without a consistent pass rush are very vunerable.

My plan for the rest of the season: IF Bills FO deemed a WC spot still a possibility (I'm not sure), acquire some veteran help on the defensive line. IF they do NOT, then just play as best as possible with who you have

Offseason: Need to address problems on D via FA because we do not have a #1 next year. Need to sign a DT that can "do it all" so to speak and may still need some help in the secondary BUT a priority could also be OLB, more so if Newman doesn't re-sign.

Draft is used to build up team speed and depth!

jdbillsfan
10-07-2002, 01:24 PM
I say we blitz like crazy. Maybe cause some turnovers and just disrupte the offense. At this point, I don't know what more we have to lose. We cause no pressure and no turnovers.

If we bring too many to stop the run, they pass, if we drop back in coverage, they run.

I wonder if someone like Stevenson could come in for E. Robinson. Bring some speed and playmaking ability??

DraftBoy
10-07-2002, 01:40 PM
Gray has gotta send all he can at teh QB, and let Winfield, Clements, Wire, and Prioleua gain big time exp out there one on one.

jdbillsfan
10-07-2002, 01:50 PM
Maybe we can put Moorman on Defense? At least he can tackle.

jdbillsfan
10-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Actually there was a comment on the post game from Vic Carrucci I believe, regarding the defense. He said the offense needs to do a better job of controlling the tempo of the game and the clock. Something how Marv Levy said that they need to play as 1 unit instead of offense and defense. He made good points.

Obviously the Bills can't win a shootout game with the Raiders, so maybe trying to play a more ball control offense might help out the Defense. Buffalo seems to be giving up on the run early and the quick strike offense doesn't seem to be helping out our D too much.

It's nice to see the TD's and quick strikes, but if it doesn't = wins, then maybe trying to control the clock would be a solution???

I don't know how our D is going to get better, but if they aren't on the field as much, that has got to help.

RedEyE
10-07-2002, 03:43 PM
1) The defense needs to establish a solid pass rush. The personnel on the field have proven that they are uncapable of providing that rush, so it's time for the coaches to intervene and get creative. Recommendation: Ditch the 46!

2) Buffalo has to run the damn football. The defense is on the field entirely too much, because the offense is not appropriately killing the clock. Henry has the potential, now give him the freaking ball. Did anyone else happen to notice Sunday that Bledsoe cannot win games by himself. Run, run, run. Larry Centers is a talented FB that could enhance Henry style of run to burn up the clock. Gilbride is obviously too excited about his "AIR" attack team and forgets to run the football. Simple play calling.

Side Note) Do not throw to Jay Reimersma any more. Dave Morre is obviously a more accomplished receiver. I cannot stand to watch JR drop another football this season. His catch to drop ratio has to be around 2:1.