PDA

View Full Version : What's your story? How did you become a Sabres' Fan?

JD
01-05-2004, 12:04 PM
MY STORY:
Well let's see here, I was born and raised in Buffalo. I attended my first game at 7 months with my parents who are also big fans.
:baby:

For some reason I used to love the old goal horn at the aud, being that young and all Im surprised it didnt scare me. So for me I guess I just got hooked to the team. I've been a fan my whole life, really never followed any other team like I do the Sabres. Usually I try to attend at least 4-8 games a year.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 12:05 PM
I was born in Buffalo, there really is no story I always rooted for the home teams no matter how badly they sucked.:up:

alyson
01-05-2004, 12:28 PM
It's trying to be a Sabres or Bills fan, isn't it? I STILL have people say to me "Wide right" when they mention the Bills' four Super Bowl losses! However, isn't it just an accomplishment that they got there four times?
I have become an adopted Ravens fan. They are really fun to watch, and they get really involved in the community and with the fans, so it's really fun to root for them. I was crushed after their loss on Saturday. I have no interest in football anymore this season!
I am a Sabres fan through and through, obviously because I'm from Rochester, but I also just really like watching them. I do like other teams (Canucks, St. Louis, whoever is playing against the Devils in the Stanley Cup!) but never as much as the Sabres.

LtBillsFan66
01-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I lost a bet.

Ebenezer
01-05-2004, 12:33 PM
I was 7...I was introduced to hockey in 1972 by my grandfather (canadian)...he was trying to watch the Canada Cup series on a 10" B&W television with no attenna...Later that year the Sabres made the playoffs...the rest is history.

fushetti
01-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by alyson
It's trying to be a Sabres or Bills fan, isn't it? I STILL have people say to me "Wide right" when they mention the Bills' four Super Bowl losses! However, isn't it just an accomplishment that they got there four times?

I live in Albany now, and at a Dave Matthews concert in Saratoga Springs this past summer I was wearing a Bills hat.. This kid who we were playing beer pong with kept calling me Norwood all day. It got old fast. hehe

SkateZilla
01-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Was Born in Washington State... Got Flown From the Birth Canal to Niagra Falls, well i guess i few side trips from the Canal to the Chopper (UH-1 Huey).

Spent 5 years there..
then Parents Got Re-Assigned to NAS Oceana In Virginia Beach,

watched The Sabres On TV, or Listened for a few on the net (after it became availible)

went to a few games in 1998/99 when i went up to look at colleges (my Freshmen year of H.S.)

Went to 2 games this past week.

Not to Mention "Biron's Girl"

Makaveli
01-05-2004, 07:48 PM
well for much of my life i was never really into hockey at all, the only times i would watch a game was when i was at a friends house, these were the days when i had no idea about anything so I liked the Ducks, probably because they had a cool logo and because of the movies i guess :hitself: yea so after renting video games i got to learn names like Kariya and Hebert, in 2000 I bought my first PC game, NHL 2001, this is where my obsession and knowledge of hockey began! aaaand well this is totaly off topic, and although i really don't remember why i started to like the Sabres, they seemed to be my favorite team since then, I think it's because Hasek was one of my favorite goalies always so I got to know the team!

Capt.Karacho
01-06-2004, 02:55 AM
I allready posted this at another thread, but it's all about my way becoming a NHL and Sabres fan.
Well, I was always a bit interested in hockey and especially the
NHL-Series by EASports.
The first team that caught my attention were the Oilers. Guerin, Smyth and of course Weight were my favorite players/line.
So i started to get more and more information about the team and the players, but we all know waht happend...
Guerin and Weight were traded because they wanted to earn more money, what really pissed me off
At this time the Hockey and the NHL were very important for me and I asked my friends if they could record some NHL games (Which are only shown on a paychannel early in the morning).
The next team I got into were the Sabres. I checked for News, Stats,Scores... of the Sabre and Oilers each and every day.
Brown,Barnes,Peca and SATAN were the players i really admired.
Not long ago I bought a Jersey:Satan 81 for 160 Euro(more than 160 Dollar; shipped from Canada) and became a true fan.
Furthermore I found this forum and checked the messages about the different topics to see what really happening "over there".
It's always great to check the scores when I get home from school and after that, reading your posts.
Thanks for letting me on the wagon... :fab:
I found my team!:hump:

Myers57
01-06-2004, 10:13 AM
One sunday afternoon 4 or 5 years ago I turned on the radio and heard Rick yelling SCCCCCCCCCCOOOOORRRREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

I was immediately addicted and followed the Sabres ever since. We didn't have satellite or cable at the time so I could never watch the games but when the Sabres went to the Stanley Cup I was on our 6th Grade Whale Watch trip in Boston MA and I was able to watch the game in my hotel room...

It was the most exciting thing ever. Finally we got DirecTV in 2001 and my entrance into the coolest game on earth began...

GO SABRES!!!

SABuffalo786
01-06-2004, 12:57 PM
I was born.

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by SkateZilla
Not to Mention "Biron's Girl"

Yup, that would make a guy a fan!

JD
01-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Ahahahha AGREED!

fushetti
01-06-2004, 06:34 PM
i haven't scoped out Birons Girl yet. links anyone?

Makaveli
01-06-2004, 06:44 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?s=&postid=237819

:biggrin:

fushetti
01-06-2004, 09:55 PM
how old is she? like 15? ;) and whats a hot girl like that posting up here for? That ain't her. :drool:

SkateZilla
01-06-2004, 10:28 PM
hmm

i'd say 17 to 20 ish,

not polite to talk about a womens age... heh

JD
01-06-2004, 10:49 PM
skate your such a gentlemen

hurls
01-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JD SabreFan
skate your such a gentlemen

Or a suck-up, J/K Skate!

Anyways, My parents were also big fans(they went to the Olympics at Lake Placid and saw Us beat the Russians). My dad had seasons with a buddy, and I got to go if the friend couldn't, that was about 1979-1980. My mom was also in love with Rene Robert for the longest time. Been going ever since, presently up to about 10-15 a year. Though I shared seasons with some guys the No Goal year, I went to about 30 that year. Going to those Playoff games were some of the best(and 1 worst) sports experiences in my life.

The_Philster
01-07-2004, 05:04 AM
She's 19 and as you guys have noticed, she doesn't post here that often..partly due to school and probably partly due to the fact that certain people seem to be obsessed with her looks. She's actually quite a nice girl and adds a lot to the hockey discussions.

hurls
01-07-2004, 05:17 AM
looks like this turned into a BG thread, o well

fushetti
01-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by slruh

Or a suck-up, J/K Skate!

Anyways, My parents were also big fans(they went to the Olympics at Lake Placid and saw Us beat the Russians). My dad had seasons with a buddy, and I got to go if the friend couldn't, that was about 1979-1980. My mom was also in love with Rene Robert for the longest time. Been going ever since, presently up to about 10-15 a year. Though I shared seasons with some guys the No Goal year, I went to about 30 that year. Going to those Playoff games were some of the best(and 1 worst) sports experiences in my life.

slruh, that no goal year's playoffs were ****in amazing. I had season tickets that year too. Went to about 35-40 games that year as well.

fushetti
01-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
She's 19 and as you guys have noticed, she doesn't post here that often..partly due to school and probably partly due to the fact that certain people seem to be obsessed with her looks. She's actually quite a nice girl and adds a lot to the hockey discussions.

Uh oh, I pissed off Philster.

hurls
01-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by fushetti

slruh, that no goal year's playoffs were ****in amazing. I had season tickets that year too. Went to about 35-40 games that year as well.

My fave part was being at Game 4 of the Ottawa series, we had "SWEEP" spelled out on cards, and got on TV many times.

JD
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
If I was her I would be happy that I was getting such compliments.

SkateZilla
01-07-2004, 02:36 PM

True True,

But Obsession/Perfection is Often The Sign of a Delusional Mind - Brent Spiner (DATA - Star Trek : First Contact)

I Dont think I Scared her, Did I?

Anyway, I Got Joked for Using the Sabres Last Night At an XBOXLIVE ESPN NHL Tourny, But I Got 2nd place :) And Beat teh read WIngs 5 times in a Row (why does everyone pick detroit and colorado?)

The_Philster
01-07-2004, 03:15 PM

No I just think that she'd post more here if she didn't get singled out for her looks is all. Maybe I should be mad :mad: :biggrin:

pyrrhonist
01-07-2004, 08:09 PM
I usually get accosted for being a Sabres fan, and living in CA. People usually assume (especially out here on the West Coast) that I'm either:

A) From the Buffalo area/East Coast
B) Have family from the East Coast
C) Weird

Well, it's none of the above.........except maybe c). :lol!: I would always watch hockey for the most part, even though it wasn't big at all here in this part of CA. I don't live in the LA area, so the huge Gretzky arrival didn't affect anyone here except those already hockey fans. I actually was more a fan of the players, and I was especially big into Gretzky, and then Lemieux. At the age of about 13 (in '90), one of my buddies here locally started getting pics & VHS' shipped to him from a relative in the NY area, and he would get a tape full of a few games here and there, as well as merchandise. We'd sit and watch the games we could, and we were excited to actually be able to have merchandise we'd never see over here. We both were huge fans of the team, even all the way out here (And with no way of seeing games regularly here in CA).

I've only wavered maybe 1 time in my support for them, and that was when it looked like Rigas(s)' dealings had all but put us up a creek w/o a paddle. It wasn't that I felt like quitting on the players (Since it wasn't their fault the ownership had screwed the team), but I felt the management of the team had just given up. I had thought of being a full-time supporter of the Canucks, who I would consider my "other" fav team. Thankfully, though, Golisano came through for the team, and regardless that we still aren't back to our playoff runs, we're around still. It seems as if the team cares again. My memoribilia isn't of a defunct team, thankfully. Gone now are the troubles of not seeing games, too, as I've got Centre Ice, and I shouldn't have any issues seeing their games. Sorry for the long-winded post.

Not on an internet message board. :lol!: Seriously, I don't blame her for not posting here, I wouldn't feel comfortable if no one could stay focused on the topic at hand, and continuously posted about looks.

SabreEleven
01-07-2004, 08:12 PM
My fave part was being at Game 4 of the Ottawa series, we had "SWEEP" spelled out on cards, and got on TV many times.

So THAT was YOU....

Makaveli
01-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by pyrrhonist
Not on an internet message board. :lol!: Seriously, I don't blame her for not posting here, I wouldn't feel comfortable if no one could stay focused on the topic at hand, and continuously posted about looks.

yea exactly what i was thinkin after seeing thread after thread turn into it, but i am guilty of doing it the first time i saw her pic too but now it's just old, we get the point, she is amazingly beautiful, get over it!

hurls
01-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Sabre11

So THAT was YOU....

Ya, I had a fat friend of mine be the "double E". Then at one point we were SPEEW.

SabreEleven
01-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Ya, I had a fat friend of mine be the "double E". Then at one point we were SPEEW.

:rofl:

BADTHINGSMAN
01-08-2004, 12:14 AM
My uncle with alot of help built a regulation size hockey rink, no seats, but had score board.. It was made from wood so no hard hitting.. Anyways he use to run leagues and even had tropheys,mvp awards,player of the game awards.. I was on a juniors league but couldnt play goalie because I had no pads.. My uncle for Christmas bought me a Sabres Jersey and Sabres goalie helmet.. So since then Ive liked the Sabres..

SABURZFAN
01-08-2004, 02:16 AM

who cares????i don't.

SABURZFAN
01-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

No Maybe I should be mad :mad: :biggrin:

:monkey: Philster

hurls
01-08-2004, 04:26 AM