PDA

View Full Version : Weis Impresses Donahoe.

baalworship
01-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Well, it looks like somebody stepped up and his stock is on the rise, so much so that ESPN Mortensen has Charlie Weis as a favorite to win the Bills job.

Boston Globe reports: 'According to a source familiar with the talks, Weis's interview with Bills president and general manager Tom Donahoe in the Boston area was a smashing success. Weis was described as "very impressive" and "well-prepared." Weis obviously has knowledge of Donahoe's biggest problem: how to fix the offense and quarterback Drew Bledsoe.'

Weis Impresses (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/01/05/following_interview_weis_may_fit_the_bills/)

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Yeah I posted this story around 7:30 this morning and just got put up. I like Weiss as well.

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 06:35 PM
I like Weiss as a candidate-

The only thing that concerns me was the whole stomach staple incident.

Like Parcells- he's a fat bastard. He decided 2 seasons ago that if he was to be taken seriously for a head coaching job- the appearance of being a fat slob might interfere. Owners might come to the conclusion that if he had no discipline regarding his weight it might make him look like he can't be disciplined enough to run a team.

Well, the surgery to staple his stomach went horribly wrong and it nearly killed him.

I'm concerned about that thought process. Football wise, X's and O's - he's a great choice. He makes up for the lack of HC experience with 20 plus seasons on Parcell's staffs. Many consider him Parcells- light (bad pun intended)

mchurchfie
01-05-2004, 06:35 PM
This sounds eerily similar to Donahoe's interview with GW three years ago.:eek:

"According to a source familiar with the talks, Weis's interview with Bills president and general manager Tom Donahoe in the Boston area was a smashing success. Weis was described as "very impressive" and "well-prepared."

EM Bills Fan 80
01-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Well If he is chosen as head coach, than great I hope TD made the right choice. But, we all know what happened last time a coordinator came in well prepared and impressed donahoe.

cordog
01-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie

Yes it does but the difference is GW was only a good interviewer, Weis is gonna be a hell of a coach.

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Man- no slack for TD.

Bellicheck, Reid, Fisher, Fox, Marvin Lewis, Brian Billick, ...the list is endless of successful coordinators turned coach. Geesh- no one is allowed a mulligan?

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah TD has to say "well all the candidates we have interviewed so far suck and are underprepared".

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Would everyone feel better if a guy arrived late for the interview, disheveled, confused, and unorganized? Mikey90210 in headphones on the sidelines is a nightmare I don't want to live.

Pride
01-05-2004, 06:45 PM

"According to a source familiar with the talks, Weis's interview with Bills president and general manager Tom Donahoe in the Boston area was a smashing success. Weis was described as "very impressive" and "well-prepared."

OMG, my same thoughts! AHHHHH!!!!

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Me neither.:rofl:

baalworship
01-05-2004, 06:47 PM
The stomach stapling story actually made me like the guy. Here's a guy that understood that owners want a coach that "looks the part". He wants to be the head coach so bad he almost killed himself. And this is bad how?!

Plus, I like the story of how he got his first job. As a high school coach he just went up to Parcells and said, "I can help you." Having served as o-coordinator for both Parcells and Belichick means this guy ain't a dummy. Neither of those coaches keep losers around. This guy is hungry and I think he has a good chance to play chess with Belichick.

cordog
01-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Man- no slack for TD.

Bellicheck, Reid, Fisher, Fox, Marvin Lewis, Brian Billick, ...the list is endless of successful coordinators turned coach. Geesh- no one is allowed a mulligan?

Exactly. I think HC experience is somewhat overrated. Look what Lewis did his first year, Callahan went to a SB. Fassel made it to the playoffs his first year. If the next coach doesnt have any experience doesnt mean we're gonna go 4-12

cordog
01-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
The stomach stapling story actually made me like the guy. Here's a guy that understood that owners want a caoch that "looks the part". He wants to be the head coach so bad he almost killed himself. And this is bad how?!

Plus, I like the story of how he got his first job. As a high school coach he just went up to Parcells and said, "I can help you." Having served as o-coordinator for both Parcells and Belichick means this guy ain't a dummy. Neither of those coaches keep losers around. This guy is hungry and I think he has a good chance to play chess with Belichick.

I mean i know we hate th Pats, but you gotta love his offensive gameplans. He works to the strenghts on Brady and also covers up his weaknesses. This team is 14-2 and has no ***** running game!!!! He is a offensive mastermind that can turn the team and the O around

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 06:52 PM
:punk:

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
:punk:

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

baalworship
01-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Imagine what happens when Travis Henry is Weis's Antowain Smith and McGahee is his Kevin Faulk!

Good Story and Bio on Weis That I Posted On Another Thread: (http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/football/ny-weis013607948jan01,0,7320510.story?coll=ny-football-headlines)

Ebenezer
01-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Charlie Weis obviously has knowledge of Donahoe's biggest problem: how to fix the offense and quarterback Drew Bledsoe.'

I think that is the key to the whole thing...I just hope there is more there than the Bledsoe connection...

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Imagine what happens when Travis Henry is Weis's Antowain Smith and McGahee is his Kevin Faulk!

Good Story and Bio on Weis That I Posted On Another Thread: (http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/football/ny-weis013607948jan01,0,7320510.story?coll=ny-football-headlines)

Henry and probably McGahee are better than both of those RB's too!:beer:

The Natrix
01-05-2004, 07:06 PM
good news

ArcticWildMan
01-05-2004, 07:36 PM
:lol:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=3933

shelby
01-05-2004, 07:37 PM
:rofl: at Dozer!

Mikey 90210 to Brian Moorman during the game....
i want your kick to sail high and far....
:spit:

baalworship
01-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Another cool human interest article. I like the guy the more I read about him.

Charlie Weis has a fantasy football league all his own... (http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/w0304/weis.html)

madness
01-05-2004, 08:17 PM

...I just got goosebumps!

caveboy
01-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Does this also mean then that KG is gone if Weiss comes in? I hope. Wouldn't need him around then. Otherwise, if he stays, we could sign Barry Sanders and KG wouldn't run him.

lordofgun
01-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I like Weis! From what EmPIRE is saying, Fassel all but has the job wrapped up.

justasportsfan
01-05-2004, 09:52 PM

:lol: The minute i read the title that was the first thing I thought too.

socalfan
01-05-2004, 10:07 PM
There was another article in the Boston papers concerning how some coaches now have agents that prepare them for head coaching positions by helping prepare them for the interviews. Weiss is supposed to have one of the more successful agents, measured by how many coaches he has put into head coaching positions. To me this explains the TD comments about the character of the interview. It hardly says anything about how good of a head coach Weiss will be.

My second thought is the Pats had an awful lot of draft picks last year and even traded one of their first round picks. How come the Pats didn't select a running back in the draft?? Was their plan use the backs they had?? Or are they a team that likes like short passes for moving the ball. If they like their current set of backs then most of you guys haven't a clue about football talent given the comments I've seen posted on this board. On the otherhand if they like the passing game to move the ball....what does that say about Weiss as an OC for the Bills. Will he be another KG???

justasportsfan
01-05-2004, 10:11 PM
One things for sure. Wanny can't outssmart Wiess. That's two sure wins for us.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
One things for sure. Wanny can't outssmart Wiess. That's two sure wins for us.

Damn straight!:badboy: :flex: :phones:

socalfan
01-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Well that would be 1 of the 13 coaches the Bills would play against in the regular season.

But the question still stands...if Weiss is one of the guys that likes the short pass over the run...how is that going to work for the Bills?

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
There was another article in the Boston papers concerning how some coaches now have agents that prepare them for head coaching positions by helping prepare them for the interviews. Weiss is supposed to have one of the more successful agents, measured by how many coaches he has put into head coaching positions. To me this explains the TD comments about the character of the interview. It hardly says anything about how good of a head coach Weiss will be.

My second thought is the Pats had an awful lot of draft picks last year and even traded one of their first round picks. How come the Pats didn't select a running back in the draft?? Was their plan use the backs they had?? Or are they a team that likes like short passes for moving the ball. If they like their current set of backs then most of you guys haven't a clue about football talent given the comments I've seen posted on this board. On the otherhand if they like the passing game to move the ball....what does that say about Weiss as an OC for the Bills. Will he be another KG???

i honestly think that they didnt see any value in the RBs that were there to draft last year... i didnt think there were many good backs available.. i thought larry johnson would be a chump.. we know mcgahee had a trashed knee.. onterio smith was a head case..

it was only one draft.. and weiss is not the guy in charge of picking players either.. that is all belichick... i thought they did a marvelous job with their draft last year.. and their record says so too.. you really cant knock the approach that they took.

socalfan
01-05-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm not knocking them, I think they've shown themselves to be a very good organization this year.

And I do think you are absolutely right...they didn't see a back they wanted. And even though they aren't a balanced team, they throw significantly more often than they run; they've been very successful.

But I'm not sure what came first....their proclivity for throwing short or the lack of a 1000 yd running back.

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 11:32 PM
well.. i know they drafted some wrs last year.. like givens... instead of taking a rb.. and givens among other rookies has just played incredible for them.

Gunzlingr
01-05-2004, 11:43 PM
AVP could be the next Tom Brady with Weis in control. AVP! AVP! AVP!

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 11:53 PM
"Tough? Try brutal. Hundred-hour workweeks. Countless office-cot sleepovers. Tons of travel. Bizarre eating habits. It's a lifestyle at odds with personal fitness, as Weis can attest to. Overweight much of his life, he was packing more than 300 pounds on his 6-foot-1 frame by the time the Patriots won the Super Bowl. Mindful of his dad's death at 56 from a second heart attack, Weis in June 2002 underwent a gastric bypass, the same surgery that gave Al Roker something other than the weather to talk about.

Excessive internal bleeding during the operation nearly killed Weis. Twice he was given last rites. He recovered but with a temporary loss of feeling in his legs. Although doctors suggested a year's sabbatical, Weis missed only three days of training camp. During the Patriots' 9-7 season in 2002, he progressed from motorized cart at practices to walker to four-pronged cane to regular cane, which he threw away that December. A year after his surgery, he had shed more than 100 pounds.

"My family is the reason I fought to stay alive," says Weis. He and his wife, Maura, have two children, Charlie, 10, and Hannah, 8. "Once I got past the stay-alive phase, it was football that kept me from getting depressed." The dream lives on."

http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/w0304/weis.html

the guy was never a player.. so he doesnt have an athletes body.. but he is obviously smart, if he has made it that long w/ parcells then BB..

i dont fault him for having the surgery.. my aunt had it for health reasons too.. and he is down to the low 200s now.. that is not bad.. i am 6'1" and am 195.. and i am not fat by any means.. so he is doing much better now obviously..

i reallly like the guy the more i read..

i dont think we can go wrong with him or ferentz.. i REALLY just dont want fassel.

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 11:54 PM
also, a couple other thoughts... he may push hard to bring in woody with him.. who might be more open to coming here with wiess running the show.

and i was wondering..who would he bring in as his OC?..

and lets say that Crenell doesnt get a head coaching spot.. any chance he would come with him? he stated that they are very very close friends.

BuffaloRanger
01-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Maybe Weis can flash the SB 25 ring he won too? Would he wear it on the sidelines? Would players rub it before every game?

Are you guys old enough to remember the pain of SB 25? Hiring a coach that beat the Bills in a SB...or a playoff game on a bull **** play, is spitting on tradition.

WHY oh WHY can't we bring in a HC that didn't have a hand in breaking Bills fans hearts?

Karma is a mutha ***a.

Historian
01-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Oh brother...here we go again with this "organized" crap.

don137
01-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by socalfan

My second thought is the Pats had an awful lot of draft picks last year and even traded one of their first round picks. How come the Pats didn't select a running back in the draft??

It could of been one of those things that the player they wanted was gone and they did not like the other players...I can't help but think that the Pats were very interested in McGahee and thought they could get him in the second round by trading up one of there multiple picks

Ickybaluky
01-06-2004, 07:03 AM
As a Pats fan, these is my take on Weis:

1) He is a very good, extremely organized and knowledgeable coach. His philosophy can be best summed up in one word: Multiple. Weis will bring in an extra TE or FB, and then have them go in motion to spread the defense and throw. Or, he will bring in extra receivers, but run the football. Lots of different stuff to prepare for.

2) Lots of motion and formation variations, but the same basic goal: take what they give you. If you line up 5 wide with an empty backfield and the defense vacates the middle, he'll have his QB sneak it. If he lines up double-TE and the defense brings extra bodies to the middle, he'll throw a quick screen outside. His whole philosophy is to take advantage of whatever the defense gives. If they gear up to stop the run, he'll throw it. If they gear up to stop the pass, he'll run it.

3) Tremendous at developing young players. He was a great position coach and his guys got better when he coached them. This may be his #1 strength, IMO. He deserves a lot of credit for making the Pats offense work when they did not have a lot of talent (although Brady has a lot to do with that as well).

4) Curious playcaller at times, his biggest weakness, IMO. This is my number one beef with the guy, and likely the reason Parcells pulled playcalling duties from him back in 1999 (their relationship has been strained ever since, and they can't stand each another now). He loves trick plays, and seems to call them at curious times. It is kind of hard to explain, but he can't seem to stay with the same thing too long, even if it is working. It almost seems like he can't go to long without doing something tricky or cute, and feels he has to be creative even when it isn't needed. Perhaps it is because he wants a HC job so bad and is trying to stick out. I mean, when those plays work it is great and all, but there are other times he'll call them at curious times and they will be momentum killers.

5) I can't see Bledsoe being a long-term guy with him. He is a smart coach so he will adjust his offense to Drew's game (he will definitely protect him better). But ultimately, he will install his offense and it will require a QB more like Brady. Brady's greatest strength is his field awareness and ability to anticipate what his happening. He gets rid of the ball quickly and spreads the ball around, finding the soft spot in the defense. Brady is rarely fooled by a defensive look, and is very aware of what is happening around him (you hardly ever see him get sacked on a weakside blitz, which happens to Drew all the time). Drew is much more big-play focused and loves to throw downfield. It just isn't a great mix, although Weis is smart enough to adjust in the short-term and will improve the offense.

Just my $0.02.

Ð
01-06-2004, 08:37 AM
A weis guy, eh ?

Novacane
01-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by NE39
As a Pats fan, these is my take on Weis:

He loves trick plays, and seems to call them at curious times.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He seems to make more good play calls than bad though hence Brady's #'s.

Ickybaluky
01-06-2004, 09:36 AM
It isn't that he is a terrible play caller. It is kind of odd, but the guy has a propensity to get cute. Even if the team is rolling along doing something, he will change things up. I mean, they could be running the ball real well, and all of a sudden he'll call 5 straight pass plays. Or they can be moving the ball through the air, and he'll decide he wants to pound it.

It is almost like he tries to get creative and out-thinks himself sometimes.

It is my only real criticism of they guy. He is a fine coach, but I don't think he has a great feel for timing when calling plays.

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 09:42 AM
I think that is great. No defense knows what your going to do and you want to be unpredictable.

Tatonka
01-06-2004, 10:53 AM
well.. if he is the head coach.. who will do the playcalling.. i doubt he will be doing that.

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
well.. if he is the head coach.. who will do the playcalling.. i doubt he will be doing that.

He won't be doing that per say but I bet he has great influence on the type of plays.

baalworship
01-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I bet he would do what Belichick does. Hire 2 great coordinators and then consult with them on each series. Belichick can override any offensive or defensive play and he talks to both coordinators as the game goes on. I bet Weis could veto defensive plays as well. We need a head coach that actually uses his headset and is involved in the game.

Turf
01-06-2004, 07:29 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing......

Turf
01-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
Oh brother...here we go again with this "organized" crap.

KLINK!!! :rofl: Couldn't resist........

baalworship
01-06-2004, 07:43 PM
I really hope Donahoe grilled him about his philosophy on managing the game and how he would manage his coordinators. We need someone that delegates but stays hands on and responsible. That was GW's biggest failing. He never took charge of either Gray or Gilbride when real-time game adjustments were necessary. I have never seen anything like the infamous screen-pass game in 2002 where Weis kept dinking & dunking and Gray & Williams had no clue what to do. A REAL NFL coach should be able to call plays on both sides of the ball, in a pinch.

As to Weis and his sports agent, I was impressed by the coaches in this guy's group.

LaMonte's impressive stable includes Seattle's Mike Holmgren, Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden, Philadelphia's Andy Reid, Green Bay's Mike Sherman and Carolina's John Fox, by far the most of any agent. All of those coaches were once in Weis' situation, a coordinator or assistant looking for their first head job.

Would anyone be against having Holmgren, Gruden. Reid, Sherman, or Fox?! So this Lamonte guy thinks Weis is the next big thing. Good.

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 07:47 PM
A REAL NFL coach should be able to call plays on both sides of the ball, in a pinch.

I can only think of a handful of coaches that fit your criteria of being an NFL coach.

I think hiring and trusting solid DC/OC's is the only way to go.

If you second guess/take control of your DC/OC's too often, they won't be around long, regardless of how much you need them.

Hire the right people to do the job and you can let them do it. Having to take over the playcalling of a co-ordinator already admits that you have screwed up.

baalworship
01-06-2004, 07:57 PM
There are only 32 head coaches at the HIGHEST level. There is no reason that there shouldn't be 32 people in the world who understand the X's and O's on both sides of the ball and can provide input when the bullets are flying. NE has someone like that. I want Buffalo to have a coach like that as well.

Having input doesn't mean second guessing. It is the ultimate means of managing & coaching. If this wasn't important, why not hire 2 great coordinators first and then hire a GW type to schedule practices, talk to the media, etc?! What do you think the head coach SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be doing?

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 08:11 PM
There are only 32 head coaches at the HIGHEST level. There is no reason that there shouldn't be 32 people in the world who understand the X's and O's on both sides of the ball and can provide input when the bullets are flying. NE has someone like that. I want Buffalo to have a coach like that as well.

Having input doesn't mean second guessing. It is the ultimate means of managing & coaching. If this wasn't important, why not hire 2 great coordinators first and then hire a GW type to schedule practices, talk to the media, etc?! What do you think the head coach SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be doing?

IMO, a well-run football organization should be run the way any well-run organization is run - the higher up the chain you go, the more long-term thinking.

The co-ordinators should be responsible for the week-to-week running of the team. What the game plan will be, what plays to run, etc.

The head coach plans out the season-long plan (by the end of the season, we need to be a good running team - even though we're not right now, we'll work on it), the week-to-week staffing of the team (i.e. what players dress, since that's a negotiation between all co-ordinators), as well as assessing the overall strengths and weaknesses of the team and how to address them in the offseason. The HC's role is also to dispense discipline, monitor the entire coaching staff (I think position coaches are the HC's responsibility, the co-ordinators have enough to do). Through this role, yes the HC may provide insight and help to his co-ordinators, but he should hire co-ordinators capable of doing the job. If he doesn't think they're up to the task, don't hire them and do the job himself.

The GM (and I'm not sure one is needed in football, where very few personnel decisions are made in-season unless of course the HC has taken over a co-ordinating job) is responsible for the longer-term outlook of the team (think years down the line). He needs to draft to fill upcoming holes, monitor the cap, etc..

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 08:15 PM

NE seems to give a lot of power over to the co-ordinators. Although the HC gets a lot of credit through fans, notice that both of his co-ordinators are up for almost every high profile job - to me that indicates that people in the know think they're doing most of it on their own.

Yes, there are only 32 head coaches in the NFL - that's what makes it even harder. At the NFL level, you're dealing with pure genius in a coaching sense. The difference between #1 and #2 at this level (or #15 and #16) is much more pronounced than it would be at the #500 to #501.

I'm not sure what job you do, but whatever it is, look at how obvious a difference there is between the best 3 or 4 of your position versus the big clump that just sits there around the middle 20 or so (depending on the size of company of course).

baalworship
01-06-2004, 08:35 PM
I don't think I'm explaining this right. Here's what I am talking about. I am saying all coordinators and HC should be communicating and strategizing together. Of course the OC and DC can operate alone and must be creative.

This is what I'm talking about. (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/patriots.bg?articleid=264)

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Ok ... i interpreted what you said as they had to go to him for approval instead of him giving them insight on each play.

We actually seem to be talking about similar philosophies i believe.

baalworship
01-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Right. My point was why listen to the headphones only as a head coach. They are paid too much to be bystanders. They should manage the game in concert with their coordinators and offer input as needed.