PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Like We May Lose Gray

saviorbledsoe
01-05-2004, 08:55 PM
If Jerry Gray doesnt get the HC position (which I hope he doesnt) he may leave to be the DC for University of Texas. (which would suck)

I like our D and its coaching staff.

http://www.rnews.com/Sports/TopSports.cfm?cmd=top&ID=15437&rnews_story_type=39&category=3

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Gray stunk up the joint until LeBeau came here.

This town needs an enema- get new people in here.

saviorbledsoe
01-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Gray stunk up the place with last years PLAYERS on D.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 09:00 PM
He would rather be a DC for college than a DC for the NFL?:confused: If he is looking to be a HC job then he is going in the wrong direction IMO!:dizzy:

baalworship
01-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Good. Let the new coach select his staff and not have GW's minions forced on him. Jerry Gray was terrible in making adjustments. We've got good players, we can find a better DC than Jerry Gray.

helmetguy
01-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Gray got a ton of help from LeBeau.

Originally posted by Dozerdog

This town needs an enema- get new people in here.

I agree with you, Doz. I've had enough of the "Tennessee Connection."

Dozerdog
01-05-2004, 09:13 PM
For 2 seasons he tried a defense in which we didn't have the talent to run. It was almost as predictable as Gillbride's offense.

Read Ingtar's breakdown of the defense after last season.

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?action=YourSite_content&month=12&state=newsarchive&nid=2897

5)The coaching staff probably could try to fix some of the problems by sticking with the 46 more. Right now they’re play very conservatively, and are only using the 46 when the opposing offense sticks to a conventional (non-spread) formation. From our look it appeared as if the Bills 46 performed far better against both the pass and run than their nickel, which is seriously undermined by the lack of a serious pass rush. At least the Bills create pressure and force the opposing team into more short patterns when they crowd the line.

Right now, the opposing offenses are dictating to Jerry Grey what defense he will play. When the opposition offense has that type of psychological advantage, they will move the ball at will. Until Grey can find something the Bills do well enough to force the offense to change in response to them, opposing teams will continue to dictate our own defensive strategy to us (which is what is happening now).

My buddy from Ohio made it clear to me that the mentality of Grey right now is similar to that of a shell-shocked mental patient. He is so afraid of giving up a big play, he has gone too conservative. The 46 is the wrong defense to play conservative, and this is one of the reasons that the Bills aren’t getting turnovers; they are too conservative and are not creating any real chaos in the opposing backfield. If they would play this base defense against the spread offenses, and brought some real heavy blitzes, we might force the opposing offenses to change strategy, because right now, no-one sees any need to change strategies against us.

Schobel94
01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
I think what is meant by this is that if he isn't HC (which is highly improbable) there is a good chance he will be fired even though the defense has played well. He does need a backup plan in case that happens. I dont think hell leave for college if he isnt fired.

The Natrix
01-05-2004, 09:31 PM
there will be a complete clearing of house, no doubt.

Turf
01-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I think it's perfect. We get rid of him and Lebeau becomes the DC. I don't see a problem with it. I see it as a blessing.

justasportsfan
01-05-2004, 09:50 PM
I doubt Cotrell will get a HC job. I wonder if TD would take him in as a DC. His stock went down since the jets D has stunk for 3 seasons now.

As for Gray, I too wonder if he's any good. Did our D improve because of the new players or because of our coaches?

Whatever happens Krumrie stays hopefully. This guy is intense. People are overlooking this guy and giving Lebeau all the credit. You can make a case that Shoebel game stepped up because of Krumrie. Get a DE opposite Shoebel and I think Krumrie can do wonders for this DL.

Anyone notice how all of a sudden the last two games, Posey was used as a pass rush and was often in the face of a qb? I guess that's another topic.

socalfan
01-05-2004, 10:29 PM
It is a little crowded at the top of the ladder on the defense coaching staff. So loosing someone isn't really going to be a problem. But if the guy calls it quits to go into the college ranks, then I think he is giving up on the NFL.

I don't think you can say that Lebeau is the reason the defense did better this year. I don't think you can say it was because of the improvement of the players. There were too many changes on defense with coaches going and coming as well as players.

HenryRules
01-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Everyone in the organization seemed to give credit to Gray for this defense.

The first 2 years were his first 2 years as a co-ordinator - until someone in the know says otherwise, I'm willing to believe that he learned based on that experience and that's why our D was improved this year.

I'd be excited to see what he can do this year with our team.

socalfan
01-05-2004, 10:53 PM
But I don't think you can say the defense is a product of Grey's brain.....there were too many additions and changes from the previous two years. What Grey can be credited with is doing a good job of coordinating all of the changes into a defensive scheme. He may not have been able to come up with the scheme on his own, but he should get credit for the scheme being put into play.

The_Philster
01-06-2004, 04:45 AM
The times the defense had the most productive plays seemed to be in zone blitzes...Dick LeBeau's forte.

shelby
01-06-2004, 04:49 AM
Teddy Cottrell...:up:

Historian
01-06-2004, 06:31 AM
Good riddance...for me, he'll always be one of the DBs that Frank Reich torched in the Comeback game.:up:

Michael82
01-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Billsology
Good riddance...for me, he'll always be one of the DBs that Frank Reich torched in the Comeback game.:up:

Yup, I see that too! :snicker:

BuffaloRanger
01-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Gray is still under contract for one more year. He can only go to Texas if a new coach fires him. Texas is his backup plan in case he gets axed.

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
Gray is still under contract for one more year. He can only go to Texas if a new coach fires him. Texas is his backup plan in case he gets axed.

Yeah but I don't want him here if he doesn't want to be!

Dozerdog
01-06-2004, 07:26 PM
all the smart coaches are lining up jobs. This time of year sucks being an assistant. Zero job security.