PDA

View Full Version : Looking like Coughlin is off the market

deathadder
01-05-2004, 06:14 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/01/05/giants.coughlin/index.html

Source: Giants close to naming Coughlin coach
Posted: Monday January 5, 2004 5:34PM; Updated: Monday January 5, 2004 5:43PM

By Don Banks, SI.com

The first of the NFL's seven vacant head coaching jobs may be filled by Tom Coughlin. Indications are the New York Giants are close to naming Coughlin as its new head coach, a league source said Monday.

The source said that Coughlin's agent, Gary O'Hagan, was en route to New York to conclude his negotiations with the Giants. The deal has not been finalized, but the Giants have summoned Coughlin to New York either Monday night or Tuesday.

A potential news conference could be held as soon as Tuesday to announce Coughlin as the team's 17th head coach.

"The Giants told Coughlin to pack a suit and tie," said one league source.

I actually wanted Coughlin. That means we should get Fassel. He is the next best coach available! Hope the rumors are true, and Fassel walks out with contract on hand.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Didn't we all guess this from the beginning?:beer:

ryjam282
01-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Damn, I was hoping he would be our guy.

Ryan

Ebenezer
01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Didn't we all guess this from the beginning?:beer:

I believe I said this too...I am not happy.

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2004, 07:14 PM
It's still not for sure yet. I remember back then they were going to announce Marvin Lewis as our next coach. And look who we ended up with. :angry:

baalworship
01-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Coughlin is a very good coach that I wanted the Bills to interview but Ingtar had a good point. The gist was that players hate and/or are scared of him around the NFL and it will be hard for him to recruit top FA's. In the days of FA and salary cap that is a big disadvantage.

The Spaz
01-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
It's still not for sure yet. I remember back then they were going to announce Marvin Lewis as our next coach. And look who we ended up with. :angry:

Yeah but didn't WGR55 report that though?

shelby
01-05-2004, 07:42 PM
:madcurse:

Novacane
01-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Giants have offered him the job verbally and they are working on an agreement.
Deal could be announced tomorrow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1701142

If Fassel leaves town tomorrow without an offer I think that tells us Weiss is the frontrunner. JMO

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 11:02 PM
good point.

socalfan
01-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Since Weiss wouldn't be available for contract talks until after the Pats complete their playoff run, it could mean that there is now more pressure on TD to get a deal done with Fassel.

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 11:22 PM
god.. i hope not!

hey! maybe the pats get smoked by the titans this weekend!

Tatonka
01-05-2004, 11:25 PM
well.. captain kirk and weiss are still left on my list!

i am not including saban, because he is close to inking a long term deal with LSU>

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I would have at least liked it for us to interview Coughlin to see if some time away from the game has changed - Parcells doesn't seem to be as much of a hardass now as he was beforehand.

I really wish TD had publicly started searching for a coach when GW gave him the opportunity.