PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Prediction #2-1/6/04-Drew Bledsoe

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 08:09 AM
DB is on the hook for $6mil this season and is due to get another $7 mil bonus in November. That bonus will activate the next three years of his contract. If the Bills do not pay him that bonus they will, in essence, buy out his contract for $2mil and DB becomes a free agent at the end of the year.

From what we have been able to gather DB counts $13 mil against the cap until the Bills state what they are going to do. Thus, if TD even has an IQ of 75 he'll figure out that the contract must be redone.

So, as I see it, the Bills and DB will renegotiate the contract. DB does have the leverage of $13 mil and choose not to restructure the deal. The Bills could cut him out right and only owe him $2mil but then they have to bring in a new QB. Because the Bills are a team (believe it or not) that has playoff potential bringing in a new QB may actually set the team back a year.

Recognizing that TD will sit down and redo the deal making it a little bit more cap friendly and still be fair to DB. I project a new 3 year deal worth about $5 mil a year with an option bonus that will kick in another 3 year deal.

:feedback:

Jan Reimers
01-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Eb, I hope you're right on both Ruben and DB staying on with renegotiated contracts. Both might be rehabilitated by a new HC/OC, and we have enough holes to fill already.

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Eb, I hope you're right on both Ruben and DB staying on with renegotiated contracts. Both might be rehabilitated by a new HC/OC, and we have enough holes to fill already.

Believe it or not, I think that the advantages of cutting them (money savings) do not out weigh the disadvantages of having to bring in players to replace them. Players that would have to learn to play together...players, that after they sign their deals, may actually not save the team any money.

Ickybaluky
01-06-2004, 08:24 AM
How do you figure Drew counts towards the cap for $13M? He should count toward the cap for $6M, his salary, because that is what he is scheduled to be paid. His option bonus isn't counting towards the cap because it is a team option with no conditions attached.

The only way an option bonus would count towards the cap before being picked up is if there are conditions attached making it LTBE. For instance, many of the two-tier rookie deals for high 1st rounders have a 2nd-year option bonus for later years of the contracts. If that bonus is declined, then the rookie will have their base salaries go up by the same amount and be guaranteed (this allows the player to get his guaranteed money, but the team can keep the 1st year cap hit low to fit in the rookie pool). In that case, the option bonus piece is counted towards the cap because it is certain to be picked up. Under normal circumstances, the option bonus isn't counted towards the cap until it is picked up.

Even if the option bonus were counting towards the cap for some reason, it would be spread out over 7 seasons and only raise his 2004 cap hit to $7M. An option bonus is the same as a signing bonus attached to future years that is paid only if the option is elected. It is not a roster or reporting bonus.

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 08:29 AM
From everything I have seen written and reported it is being counted against the cap.

Novacane
01-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Because the Bills are a team (believe it or not) that has playoff potential bringing in a new QB may actually set the team back a year.

:feedback:

If the system was staying the same I would agree but since everyone on offense is going to have to learn a new system I don't see how a new QB would set the team back.

If a better QB becomes available they should at least seriously consider him.

The_Philster
01-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
If the system was staying the same I would agree but since everyone on offense is going to have to learn a new system I don't see how a new QB would set the team back.

A new QB would still need to develop timing with receivers and have to adapt to team dynamics and chemistry.
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
If a better QB becomes available they should at least seriously consider him.
As long as the price is right, I agree.

SABURZFAN
01-06-2004, 04:15 PM
if drew doesn't want to renegotiate,just get rid of him.