PDA

View Full Version : The 46 is a Flop

Buffarama
10-07-2002, 02:14 PM
It's time to abandon this defensive scheme and redeem our playoff hopes before it is too late.
All of Gregs original ideas and vision for this team have failed.

WCO - Gone
Airhorn - Gone
Heavy handed coach - Gone
Disciplined Team - Uhuh
Special Teams - Klunk
Rob Johnson- Gone
Rookie coaches - Failure
46 Defense - Flop

This year can still be redeemed. No one knew we would have the offense we have. Forcing a defensive scheme that doesn't work this year and sticking with it because it takes years to learn is foolish.
Change immediately to a 3-4 or 4-3 , whatever suites this personnel group. If we can cut 10 points off a game, we can win them all.

Novacane
10-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Very well said Buffarama! Thats one thing I give GW credit for. He has dumped things that proved to be bad ideas. It's time he add the 46 to that list.

Bufftp
10-07-2002, 02:30 PM
Yes, Bufframa I think your right. We need a way to slow opposing offenses down. A bend not break philospy, which would help our offense, this all or nothing 46 has been exactly nothing.

Judge
10-07-2002, 02:37 PM
Buffarama is right!

Do whatever it takes to utilize the personnel we have better, rather than forcing a scheme that doesn't have the manpower to run.

Do ANYTHING to slow down the opposition enough to let the offense win for us! Heck, ven holding teams to 27-28 points could be enough for the Bills to win alot of games!

JefftheBillsfan
10-07-2002, 02:49 PM
i think the 46 defense is capable of making a good D-fense great, but not a below average any better than below average. and thats where we are now. maybe if we acquire some more talent we will be able to play the 46 more effectively.

Buffarama
10-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Wow, this is scary, everyone liked my post :)
I better go buy a lottery ticket tonight!

THATHURMANATOR
10-07-2002, 02:55 PM
No I don't like it actually!!! LOL

lordofgun
10-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Buffarama is always right! :D

I could not agree more. We just don't have the personnel to play it.

It would be a shame to waste such an incredible offense.

JefftheBillsfan
10-07-2002, 03:03 PM
i think since our D is young, and we have a lot of cap $$...that we could develop a very good D in time with the 46. I am not ready to give up on it just yet, unless we don't do anything to improve our defense personall.

Voltron
10-07-2002, 03:39 PM
I agree with Jeffthebillsfan. :urock:

The defense would be awsome with some real players in the secondary and DL. I think if we stick with it this season and the rookies (Wire makes some rookie mistakes but he is going to be awsome either next year or the year after) get used to it we can pick up some good people in FA (safties and cb's are not as expensive as you think) and shore up the D. Most of us agreed that we would be happy with an 8-8 team this year and while our O is good enough to be on a 13 or 14 win team our D is just a bit better as last year.

Lets hope our D can get with the program.

:pray:

Creemoredrinker
10-07-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama
It's time to abandon this defensive scheme and redeem our playoff hopes before it is too late.
All of Gregs original ideas and vision for this team have failed.

WCO - Gone
Airhorn - Gone
Heavy handed coach - Gone
Disciplined Team - Uhuh
Special Teams - Klunk
Rob Johnson- Gone
Rookie coaches - Failure
46 Defense - Flop

This year can still be redeemed. No one knew we would have the offense we have. Forcing a defensive scheme that doesn't work this year and sticking with it because it takes years to learn is foolish.
Change immediately to a 3-4 or 4-3 , whatever suites this personnel group. If we can cut 10 points off a game, we can win them all.

I do NOT disagree our defense needs a lot of work, but you cannot make this fundamental change mid-season. I am afraid that we must stick with the scheme. Players have been choosen for two years based on the scheme. For example, Coy Wire does NOT get drafted if we are NOT using that scheme.

Yes, the defensive coaching MUST be improved. If this pattern of our offense doing so well and our defense doing so poorly, continues ALL year, Gray and Williams will lose their jobs at year end when that type of change is made. A new coach will choose his scheme and introduce it during training camp and choose players that fit that scheme.

I appreciate that you are NOT happy about our defense and neither I'm I, but this NOT the time to push the panic button.
:chair:

Creemoredrinker
10-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama
Wow, this is scary, everyone liked my post :)
I better go buy a lottery ticket tonight!

Read on...:stick:

RedEyE
10-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Creemoredrinker

I do NOT disagree our defense needs a lot of work, but you cannot make this fundamental change mid-season. I am afraid that we must stick with the scheme. Players have been choosen for two years based on the scheme. For example, Coy Wire does NOT get drafted if we are NOT using that scheme.

Yes, the defensive coaching MUST be improved. If this pattern of our offense doing so well and our defense doing so poorly, continues ALL year, Gray and Williams will lose their jobs at year end when that type of change is made. A new coach will choose his scheme and introduce it during training camp and choose players that fit that scheme.

I appreciate that you are NOT happy about our defense and neither I'm I, but this NOT the time to push the panic button.
:chair:

Actually, the 4-3 is not all that different from the 46. Esxcept for the fact that the 4-3 offers more option for pass protection. The transition could take place rather easily. Most of these guys saw the 4-3 througout highschool and college. It's not an unstoppable defense, but it has to better then what they are currently using.

Rebecky
10-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Why is the 46 so great? There are only two NFL teams using it now -- the Titans and Bills, both bottomfeeders on D. There's a good reason why other teams are choosing other schemes -- THEY WORK!

Brian Billick once said that there is no one "best" or "right" defensive scheme -- if there were, everyone would use it. The trick is to evaluate your personnel and select the system that best utilizes their talents -- this is why Balt went to the 3-4 this year, because they didn't have the talent for their usual 4-3. And that is exactly what we DON'T seem to be doing. Why? Is it because the 46 is the only system GW and JG know? Well, then it's time for them to learn some other D-systems.

You can't change to a complex system in mid-stream, agreed -- but it does seem that a change from a 46 to a 4-3 wouldn't be a major paradigm shift. Or take a simple system like Dungy's soft cover-2: EZ to learn, very basic, does not require a lot of talent. The key is the MLB: well, we have the very MLB who was involved when this system successfully turned around the undertalented StL-D in one year: London Fletcher. Utilizing some of that system might be do-able.

But SOMETHING'S got to free up our CB's to try to make the big play -- we've GOT to get some zone coverage downfield to help them out. It's just silly to have 3 fast, talented CB's having to play 10 yards off the WR like Pop Warner, isn't it? And it doesn't seem to matter if we rush 4 or rush 8, we still rarely get pressure on the QB -- we're just wasting more men on the line who are BADLY needed downfield, IMHO.

RedEyE
10-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Rebecky
Why is the 46 so great? There are only two NFL teams using it now -- the Titans and Bills, both bottomfeeders on D. There's a good reason why other teams are choosing other schemes -- THEY WORK!

Brian Billick once said that there is no one "best" or "right" defensive scheme -- if there were, everyone would use it. The trick is to evaluate your personnel and select the system that best utilizes their talents -- this is why Balt went to the 3-4 this year, because they didn't have the talent for their usual 4-3. And that is exactly what we DON'T seem to be doing. Why? Is it because the 46 is the only system GW and JG know? Well, then it's time for them to learn some other D-systems.

You can't change to a complex system in mid-stream, agreed -- but it does seem that a change from a 46 to a 4-3 wouldn't be a major paradigm shift. Or take a simple system like Dungy's soft cover-2: EZ to learn, very basic, does not require a lot of talent. The key is the MLB: well, we have the very MLB who was involved when this system successfully turned around the undertalented StL-D in one year: London Fletcher. Utilizing some of that system might be do-able.

But SOMETHING'S got to free up our CB's to try to make the big play -- we've GOT to get some zone coverage downfield to help them out. It's just silly to have 3 fast, talented CB's having to play 10 yards off the WR like Pop Warner, isn't it? And it doesn't seem to matter if we rush 4 or rush 8, we still rarely get pressure on the QB -- we're just wasting more men on the line who are BADLY needed downfield, IMHO.

Very well said!

Buffarama
10-07-2002, 07:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken, we changed away from the 46 mid season last year and our defense improved.
I don't think the change is that dramatic. I remember our 3-4 defense changing to a 4-3 against Miami under Wade for one game and confusing them.
Honestly, can any other defense be any worse.