PDA

View Full Version : should newman be playing more?

JefftheBillsfan
10-07-2002, 02:22 PM
cashdfs has made a good point....newman is rarely on the field this season. Personally I think when on the field he has underachieved...but still. He has game-breaker potential.

Eddie Robinson is playing awful IMO (check the Jerry Rice TD, he could of disrupted Gannon, but decided stopping 4 yards in front of him allowing him to make a clean pass was a better option). We are getting no pass rush either from the DL. Either put newman in for Robinson in nickel packages at LB, or put him in for Ahonotu in the nickel/dime packages.

Last season I saw Newman develop as a good all around LB because he wasn't allowed to blitz, he improved his run support as well as coverage.

this is going to sound dumb, but are we trying to prevent him from putting up big numbers so we can sign him cheap, then let him loose in 03? i know it sounds dumb, but so isn't playing eddie robinson over him.

casdhf
10-07-2002, 03:46 PM
I agree, I have made some good points. :D

RedEyE
10-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Most definitly. It's time for the defense to get very aggersive. Newman should be Blitzing wildly.

Creemoredrinker
10-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
I agree, I have made some good points. :D

:dink:

casdhf
10-07-2002, 03:52 PM
I don't have minions like some, but I have my fair share of followers :rolleyes:

:D

Creemoredrinker
10-07-2002, 03:56 PM
In one thread -- Game Balls & Goats -- we have posters giving Newman a goat for his play on Sunday and here we are saying he is NOT playing enough. Well, what is it?

Personally, I like Newman to blitz more and to play on all 3rd down situations. At the Player's Tunnel on Sunday, for the second week in a row, I yelled out to Newman that he does NOT have to wait for Gray to call the blitz for him to blitz. Just blitz when you want to I yelled. We have complete faith in his decision-making I yelled. Of course, Newman can't do that, but I am planting the seeds.

I believe the 4-6 can work and I believe we have some of the players we need to make it work. We don't have all of the players and what we really do NOT have is a front 4 that will consistently put pressure on the QB without blitzes that leave your nickel DB exposed (Watson for example). The 4-6 is premised on a great pass rush as Williams had in Tennesee with the Freak. Without the pass rush, the system fails.

:deadhorse

venis2k1
10-07-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan

this is going to sound dumb, but are we trying to prevent him from putting up big numbers so we can sign him cheap, then let him loose in 03? i know it sounds dumb, but so isn't playing eddie robinson over him.

no offense, but that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. gregg williams watched them both play at mini camp, training camp, preseason, and practice. it is his job to evaluate talent, and he knows his job may be on this line this year. to risk it by not putting the best people on the feild would be the stupidest move ever made by a head coach....ever.

Creemoredrinker
10-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
I don't have minions like some, but I have my fair share of followers :rolleyes:

:D

:whip:

Creemoredrinker
10-07-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1

no offense, but that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. gregg williams watched them both play at mini camp, training camp, preseason, and practice. it is his job to evaluate talent, and he knows his job may be on this line this year. to risk it by not putting the best people on the feild would be the stupidest move ever made by a head coach....ever.

:hail: