PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Jim Fassel From Giants Fans

Michael82
01-06-2004, 12:52 PM
I just conducted a survey to gauge their opinions on Fassel. Here's what they are saying:

Question about Fassel : BufBill1180 : 1/6 1:27 PM
Hi, I'm a Bills fan and have been hearing that Jim Fassel is the leading candidate for the Bills head coaching job. I was just wondering what you guys really think of him. I know that this season pissed you off, but I was just wondering if there were any positives and what are the negatives from him? Thanks for the responses. Mike

BufBill : Shawn in Jersey : 1/6 1:32 PM
You're going to get 2 very different responses from this group. My take, Fassel was a good not great coach, that when times got tough, took everything on himself, sometimes it worked (last years playoff run), sometimes he didn't (this year). He spread himself too thin and didn't delegate properly. I think he even took this too far with his assistants, not taking them to task for it, yet accepting the blame. Obviously I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but that was my impression.
He has a good offensive mind, and is pretty flexible in his approach. Compare the 1997 team to last years playoff team to see what I mean. Overall good coach, great guy.

Honestly... : Britt in VA : 1/6 1:34 PM
I think the guy was a quality coach that had his ups and downs contrary to what the majority on here think. He will have your team performing pretty well, he'll just have a problem w/ consistency. Fassel may also be able to resurrect Bledsoe's career like he did w/ Collins. I think Jim and the Bills would be a good fit personally. He is a good pick up for you.

Mike : gg : 1/6 1:34 PM
most of us liked him as a person; he was a real good representative of this organization.
As a coach, you'll find that most felt he was either (1) mediocore or (2) a bit better than average.

His record says he may have been underestimated by the masses. Personally, I found him to be an average HC but you could also do much worse.

Two preconditions to offering Fassel a job. : Big Blue Blogger : 1/6 1:35 PM
Require that he hire a real OC;
Require that he hire a real game management expert, not a part-timer like Mike Priefer.
Good luck. I think you'll end up with Weis, and he'll be very good.

Could be a great fit at Buffalo : Rick from Dallas : 1/6 1:35 PM
Fassell is a very good offensive minded coach which is exactly what Buffalo needs with the number two rated defense in the NFL.A good guy who the players really like.With all the BS that went down this year I thought the players never quit on Fassell...there was just a lack of NFL talent playing at the end of the season due to all the injuries to starters that the Giants suffered this year.

Fassel : Fred in Atlanta : 1/6 1:36 PM
is a good coach not a great coach. His first few years, his teams did better than expected. As the years went by, I think the players started tuning him out. He might have gotten to close to some of the players. I believe his worse mistake was hiring Johnie Lynn as DC after Fox left. A lot of people will critize him harsely, because he is not Bill Parcells.

Britt in VA: : BufBill1180 : 1/6 1:37 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking about. Our GM wants to keep Bledsoe and so does the owner. I remember Collins before Fassel and he sucked. He did some magic and helped Collins become better. Maybe he has that magic to fix what is wrong with Bledsoe. We could only hope!

Fassel : Les in TO : 1/6 1:38 PM
Pros: Good offensive imagination, quarterback guru, his teams seem to improve over the course of the season, he knows how to identify and correct problem areas on the team, players respect him and play hard for him and is willing to shake things up to get his team to listen
Cons: falls into lapses of predictability in play calling, perceived by some as being too soft on his players, relatively lax training and conditioning program could be a cause of the numerous injuries Giants have faced under his tenure, goes into a shell with big leads, and lacks a killer instinct.

I believe Bledsoe, while performing piss poor this year, : Britt in VA : 1/6 1:40 PM
got a little too much of the blame up there. I think that if you guys were to dump him, he would be picked up and possibly succeed elsewhere. You'd have to wonder if Parcell's would be licking his chops over that. Bledsoe would definitely benefit from Fassel's guidance. I mean, Fassel has helped one of the greatest ie: Elway.

CHECK OUT MORE Thoughts HERE: (http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/petescorner2/forum_display.cfm?f1_id=116361&s=1)

Michael82
01-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Here's a few more....

Thanks! : BufBill1180 : 1/6 1:41 PM
Thanks for your comments. The way I look at it, we have the defense and maybe he will keep LeBeau or Gray as DC, all we need is the Offense. If he can resurrect Drew Bledsoe's career, it would be just what the Bills need. I was curious about his game decisions and clock management. Gregg Williams made terrible decisions (punting on 4th down and 1 at the 32) and also had terrible discipline. How is Fassel's discipline? Did the Giants get a lot of penalties?

BufBill : cosmicj : 1/6 1:41 PM
I'll add to the previous, which I mostly agree with:
1) IMHO, this guy is burnt out. He did some very good coaching with some lousy teams in the late 90s. The coaching has become erratic. He's gradually become someone who usually outcoached the other team to someone who gets clearly outcoached.

2) Expect slow starts. He is not hard enough on players in training camp. He is not willing to bench starters, esp vets. Expect a "crisis moment" sometime in the season where he benches/cuts someone. The team will respond at that point.

3) Bledsoe will gradually become a much better QB.

Mike : Life Long Giants Fan : 1/6 1:43 PM
Some hated Fassel. Most thought he was an average or good coach that was also a very classy and upstanding guy. Some thought, as I do that he was an above average coach that took the fall for an average or below average GM. After the Atlanta game the team quit on him and just about everybody realized a change needed to be made. He has a reputation as a players coach, a guy that is too soft. I disagree with that. I think he is tough, he is just tough in private. He does not use the media to humiliate his players. The players loved him and at the end of the season they fought like hell to win but by that time there were way too many injuries and we didn't have the talent to beat anybody. His one weakness was his clock management skills, but every coach makes mistakes. Fassel's mistakes where just more noticeable because of the New York media.
BTW, I truly believe Fassel was the unluckiest coach I have ever seen. C'mon, the kicker kicks the ball out of bounds with 11 seconds let in the game and then we give up a huge play followed by the Dallas kicker making one of the longest (maybe THE longest) kick of his career.

Mike, if your GM builds you a good offense line, Fassel can build you an incredible offense. If the bills help Fassel get a very good Defensive Coordinator. I can definitely see the Bills carrying him off the field while he is holding the Lombardi Trophy. Good Luck.

discipline : Les in TO : 1/6 1:43 PM
Fassel's teams were average in terms of discipline, depending on the composition of the team that given year. I found the defense to be generally more undisciplined than the offense in terms of penalties.

Unfortunately BBill.... : Britt in VA : 1/6 1:46 PM
the things you just mentioned are exactly where Fassel lacks... Penalties due to discipline, and especially clock management... Those are his biggest flaws IMO... That is something I do agree w/ the majority on here concerning Fassel.

Fassel : The Village Voice : 1/6 1:57 PM
is pretty much the definition of a Player's Coach. He's a solid coach who develops a good relationship with his players, particularly the veterans, and they truly try their best to play for him. Only problem with Fassel (like most players' coaches), is that when things are good he is great, but when things start going wrong, he can't put his foot down. Either he is not good at disciplining, or the players feel like they are such "friends" with the coach that they don't take his discipline as seriously as someone who regularly gets on his players' cases. The result is ups and downs. You're on top of the world when the turnover ratio is in your favor and you don't have many injuries to deal with, but you go to the ****s when things start going wrong.

BufBill1180 : Life Long Giants Fan : 1/6 2:07 PM
It is hard to say how Fassel feels about a power running game because our GM believed in using undrafted OL players and cheap OL players that where way past their primes. Our GM believed faster players were the answer to our problems. (Many of us disagree vehemently.) We drafted Ron Dayne so I assume Fassel wanted a decent power running game but the Ron Dayne - crappy O-line combo did not work at all.

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Here are some more:

Bill from Jersey :bigmike:

Stubby from Tennesee :bigmike2:

Big Bob from Yonkers :bigmike:

Shirley from Temple :bigmike2:

Dick from Albany :bigmike:

Valerie from Poolesville :bigmike2:

Claude from Quebec :bigmike:

Jared from Subway :bigmike2:

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 01:25 PM
:rofl:

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 01:26 PM
...sounds like a pedigree in medocrity!!

you still want him??? Pass.

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 01:29 PM
The key in your question is "this year"...Fassel has pissed on Giants fans since season #2...

justasportsfan
01-06-2004, 01:30 PM
the more I read about Fassel, the more I like Wies. :idunno:

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
the more I read about Fassel, the more I like Wies. :idunno:

the more I read about Fassel, the more I like Wys.

justasportsfan
01-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

the more I read about Fassel, the more I like Wys. No! He's a Drew basher.

Michael82
01-06-2004, 01:34 PM
the more I read about Fassel, the more I like Wys.

:lol:

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

ANSWER THE QUESTION!!

you still want him???

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2004, 01:42 PM
What choice do we have? I'm not sold on Weis.

Haslett? Cottrell?

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Haslett? Cottrell?

I beleive it's down to Weiss and Fassell as of right now.

Michael82
01-06-2004, 01:43 PM
ANSWER THE QUESTION!!

Not after reading this one. It sounds so much like Gregg Williams that I am going to be sick. :puke:

BufBill - : Exit 172 : 1/6 2:36 PM
Re: clock management. Here's one of many examples: With the score 35-35, he kicked the go-ahead field goal against the Cowboys this year with WAY too much time left (16 seconds or so). Everybody gets on Matt Bryant for kicking off out of bounds on the next play (and rightfully so), but why the heck did Fassel leave enough time on the clock to even let the Cowboys try to go downfield and tie it? The Giants should have kicked the go-ahead FG with 5 seconds left. The worst thing that would have happened was a missed FG and OT. Fassel screwed that up. Instead, the Giants let a sure win get away from them and it KILLED them psychologically.
As for penalties, the players were the ones who committed them, but you'd see the same penalties over and over after awhile -- false starts and holdings in the red zone that would push the Giants back into long FG range. Defensive players losing their composure and getting personal fouls when choking away a lead in the 4th quarter, etc.

and these two....

my take : giantfanboy : 1/6 2:30 PM
Pros: Great with QBs , his teams usually prepared to play, great December coach, great with overachieving teams, players respect him and usually play for him

Cons: special teams, tends to play not to lose, undiciplined teams doesn't have the great staff that a successful HC needs

BufBill1180 : BobOnLI : 1/6 2:31 PM
IMHO, JF's biggest deficiency was inability to delegate, he tried to do too much himself and was spread too thin and burned out. He is a bright enough man and he may have learned from his time with the Giants to avoid the same mistake

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

I beleive it's down to Weiss and Fassell as of right now.
That's unfortunate. I wish we had more options.

Michael82
01-06-2004, 01:46 PM

Haslett? Cottrell?

EXACTLY! I don't like Weis either. He's into the dinking and dunking crap TOO MUCH!

Although this post scares me a bit too.

BufBill1180 : Ira : 1/6 2:41 PM
They weren't afraid of him. He could be tough - yell and scream, but he never had that aura of toughness that a good coach has.
Lack of game time adjustments are another weakness of his. There's nothing to elaborate in this. All in all, I'd say he's an above average coach - not a great one or a bad one. A key factor will be his assistants - particularly the defensive coordinator.

However, ABOVE AVERAGE is still better than BOTH Gregg and Wade. :D

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 01:46 PM
that is what Gints fan was trying to tell you in his article...next time read your homework!! :chair:

justasportsfan
01-06-2004, 01:47 PM

Haslett? Cottrell? Hasslet's not going anywhere. Cotrell, his stock as a DC went down all the more his HC hopes.

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 01:47 PM
EXACTLY! I don't like Weis either. He's into the dinking and dunking crap TOO MUCH!

Although this post scares me a bit too.

However, ABOVE AVERAGE is still better than BOTH Gregg and Wade. :D

9-7 is above average...we want more than that.

The Natrix
01-06-2004, 01:53 PM
doesn't make adjustments, fails to change up the starting lineup, bad clock management. Sound familiar?

Michael82
01-06-2004, 01:58 PM
that is what Gints fan was trying to tell you in his article...next time read your homework!! :chair:

I read it, but I still wasn't convinced that he was that bad.

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
doesn't make adjustments, fails to change up the starting lineup, bad clock management. Sound familiar?

Bad special teams too.

The Natrix
01-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Fassel + Bledsoe = disaster.

Michael82
01-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Fassel + Bledsoe = disaster.

I disagree. I think he will work with Bledsoe and get him to fix a few things and help his get better. :D

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 02:06 PM
I disagree. I think he will work with Bledsoe and get him to fix a few things and help his get better. :D

to use an analogy...you are to Fassel what Clump is to GW...

The Natrix
01-06-2004, 02:13 PM

what exactly is he going to do to make Bledsoe better? Give him some new, cutting edge roids? You make it sound like Bledsoe is 25. Fassel could improve the offensive scheme somewhat to where Bledsoe could have a little more success, but he is not going to make "Bledsoe better." To say ANYONE can is just stupid. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Michael82
01-06-2004, 02:16 PM
to use an analogy...you are to Fassel what Clump is to GW...

The Natrix
01-06-2004, 02:20 PM

will you be laughing when the Bills are 4-6 because Fassel gets consistently outcoached and Bledsoe throws INTs like it's his job?

Jeff1220
01-06-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm not all that excited about our coaching prospects this year.

BUT...

To use an example that we are all familiar with: Jim Fassel is now an average to above average coach, after 1 gig as a HC. What was Marv Levy before he came to Buffalo? And he's now a Buffalo legend.
Different coaches respond differently to different environments.

Michael82
01-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220

BUT...

To use an example that we are all familiar with: Jim Fassel is now an average to above average coach, after 1 gig as a HC. What was Marv Levy before he came to Buffalo? And he's now a Buffalo legend.

Good post! Maybe Buffalo is exactly what Fassel needs. A change of scenery and a good defense already built. all he needs to do is work on the offense. :D

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220

BUT...

Albeit the CFL Levy won championships...Fassel has never even won at the Jr. High Level...

Jeff1220
01-06-2004, 02:54 PM

Albeit the CFL Levy won championships...Fassel has never even won at the Jr. High Level...

His Pop warner team won the district championship j/k.

No offense to the CFL fans, but success in the CFL means squat in the NFL. Fassel still has as many Super Bowl wins (although not appearances) as Levy, and at a much younger age.

I don't really want a coordinator, and most HC prospects don't excite me too much, but you've got to agree that things work out differently for people in different situations and places. Maybe Buffalo is a good fit for Jim Fassel and maybe not. We don't really know. For all we know, Dave McGinnis and Dick Jauron are coaching masterminds just waiting to be unleashed on a team with talent. That may be, but I wouldn't want the Bills to be the takers on that bet. Okay, now I'm just rambling. I forgot what my point was.
Oh yeah, we really don't know who the next Jon Gruden, Bill Parcels, or Bellicek, or Jimmy Johnson is. There are pros and cons to all coordinators, college HCs, and retreads. Fassel could be a total bust, but if TD hires him, I'm hoping he's the perfect fit to take the Bills to victory in the big game.

The_Philster
01-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Good post! Maybe Buffalo is exactly what Fassel needs. A change of scenery and a good defense already built. all he needs to do is work on the offense. :D

We can only hope.