PDA

View Full Version : Fassel Sets Deadline!

deathadder
01-06-2004, 03:46 PM
http://www.billsdaily.com

Fassel Interviews: Jim Fassel interviewed with Tom Donahoe in Buffalo today. Before he left town he set a deadline by the end of the week to sign a deal with a team. He is being considered as a top candidate in Buffalo, Arizona, and Washington. Some reports say the Washington situation does not look good right now. The top choice in Arizona appears to be Dennis Green but they do want to meet with Fassel one more time this week. Fassel's deadline means the Bills must decide if they want him bad enough to not wait for some of the other candidates like Crennel, Smith, and Weis to finish their current playoff runs.

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Glad I'm not TD. I wouldn't want to have to make such decision.

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 03:52 PM
TD will not be handtied if he feels he is he will let them go. I think he will treat the coaches just like he does free agents.

Ebenezer
01-06-2004, 03:54 PM
the interviewee does not make the deadline...another reason not to hire him.

ArcticWildMan
01-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Yep. Not the smartest of moves on Fassel's part. You just don't bluff a master poker player like Donahoe. :cynic:

JJamezz
01-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Best news I've heard all day!! TD doesn't take kindly to ultimatums... Buh-bye Jim ;)

Dozerdog
01-06-2004, 04:10 PM
If he wants a job when the Bills are ready- then we will talk.

Dumbass

SABURZFAN
01-06-2004, 04:11 PM
fassel is setting a deadline????:confused2

SABURZFAN
01-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

i agree.

Bmax
i still think donahoe has another sleeper guy lying low....

so just look for mike mularkey or backup guy jauron ....to move up after fassell takes another job....

Bryan.......man i hope this won't happen....

Devin
he is so lucky there are so many vacancies. Cocky S.O.B.

ArcticWildMan
01-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Oh God!! Not Jauron :wail:

TigerJ
01-06-2004, 04:35 PM
rankly, I don't blame the guy for wanting to get things settled. As the "hot" candidate, he's in a position to say things like that. If it's not Buffalo, it's not Buffalo. BTW, I think Oakland is lusting after Dennis Green. If I'm Dennis Green I would pick Oakland over Bidwell's little shop of horrors in Arizona. With Mike Brown's reformation in Cincinnati, Arizona is now hands down the worst run franchize in the NFL.

If I'm TD, I would not be intimidated by Fassel's position, but I probably want to get this coach hiring done as soon as possible anyway. My guess is that if he is going to hire someone without playoff obligations he probably will make the announcement by the weekend anyway. Obviously if the choice is Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, or Lovie Smith, out of fairness to those teams he will have to wait until that team is eliminated before the announcement is made.

illusionone
01-06-2004, 04:52 PM
f him, i hope we string the jerk along and he doesn't coach the 05 season, he's afraid their are better canadates and he wont get hired, if i'm TD i hold out

Illusionone

The Natrix
01-06-2004, 04:52 PM
what a douche. Have fun in Arizona.

illusionone
01-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
what a douche. Have fun in Arizona.

the guy acts like he's coming off a Superbowl year, that would be like Gregg Williams setting a deadline LOL

Illusionone

helmetguy
01-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Real nice. The guy just gets fired from one job and he's telling a potential new boss "You've got until Friday..." Not the brightest bulb in the package, is he?

Hope he likes working for Bidwell!

Tatonka
01-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by JJamezz
Best news I've heard all day!! TD doesn't take kindly to ultimatums... Buh-bye Jim ;)

that is exactly what i was thinking again jj.. you and me are on the same brain wave today.. td wont go for the "hire me or lose me" bull****.. good.. i am more than happy to wait for Weiss..

is there any word on us getting a possible interview with Captain Kirk??

Novacane
01-06-2004, 06:21 PM
You have to look at his side too. I don't blame the guy. If he has an offer on the table he can't wait around for the Bills. The other team could get sick of waiting and go in another direction. Then he could be stuck with no job if the Bills don't want him.

I think if he was #1 on TD's list as has been reported he would have kept him in town and worked out a deal. That nothing happened tells me TD has someone else as his #1 choice. My guess is Weis.

Now I have another reason to hope the Pats lose Saturday.

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
You have to look at his side too. I don't blame the guy. If he has an offer on the table he can't wait around for the Bills. The other team could get sick of waiting and go in another direction. Then he could be stuck with no job if the Bills don't want him.

I think if he was #1 on TD's list as has been reported he would have kept him in town and worked out a deal. That nothing happened tells me TD has someone else as his #1 choice. My guess is Weis.

Now I have another reason to hope the Pats lose Saturday.

I agree with you and think it's fair for him to give a deadline. When he's negotiating with us, he can't go out and look for other jobs as easily (if at all). Besides, contract negotiations for coaches seldom take more than a couple of days anyway - and I'm sure if crossing the t's and dotting the i's is all that's needed, he'd give an extension.

From my point of view, he seems to be saying, I'm willing to negotiate with you, and only with you, until the end of the week, after that, I'll start to look elsewhere. That's more than we can ask for.

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Since when does the interviewee not make the deadline?

He's the frontrunner for 3 positions. Of course he sets the deadline.

If you're applying for a job to 3 companies and 2 get back to you with offers, do you wait around until the 3rd replies?

Dozerdog
01-06-2004, 06:55 PM
How hard is this?

First team to give him a reasonable offer he should sign. Why do the Bills have to settle for Fassel because he's impatient?

I bet if he is willing to take a low salary the other clubs with openings will be more than glad to make him an offer.

If Buffalo wants to second interview Weiss or the others, or Saban or another college guy, then Fassel will have to be patient. If he's desperate for a job- Nebraska is still looking :D

Turf
01-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Some rumor reports that Washington will offer Fassell 20 million for 4 years.. If thats so, no way does Ralph match that. Personally I wouldn't give Fassel 5 million.
So Coughlin is gone to the Giants, Fassel to maybe Washington, not much talk of Greene coming here. God forbid Jaron comes here.
So it looks like Ralph wil make his same old age Buffalo mistake. Pay big money for players, but never pay for a marque coach. My fear is that we get a low budget "find" like Greg.

Novacane
01-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

Since when does the interviewee not make the deadline?

He's the frontrunner for 3 positions. Of course he sets the deadline.

If you're applying for a job to 3 companies and 2 get back to you with offers, do you wait around until the 3rd replies?

Right. Say TD was super hot for him and had offered him a contract. Then he tells TD he wants to think about the other jobs for a while. You can bet TD would have given him a deadline and no one would be po'd like they are at him. Most would probably be praising TD for setting a deadline.

It's a negotiating ploy that both sides use. I have no problem with it.

Novacane
01-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Some rumor reports that Washington will offer Fassell 20 million for 4 years.. If thats so, no way does Ralph match that. Personally I wouldn't give Fassel 5 million.
So Coughlin is gone to the Giants, Fassel to maybe Washington, not much talk of Greene coming here. God forbid Jaron comes here.
So it looks like Ralph wil make his same old age Buffalo mistake. Pay big money for players, but never pay for a marque coach. My fear is that we get a low budget "find" like Greg.

If Snyder offers him that much he'd be crazy not to take it.

I have no problem with Ralph going for a guy like Weis if that is the guy TD really believes is the best guy for the job but if he only goes for a coordinator because they come cheap that pisses me off.

TD says money won't be an option so I'll take his word on it.

Halbert
01-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Some of you seem to be forgetting about supply and demand. He does because he can.

superbills
01-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Why the hell don't they put a freeze on coach hiring until after the Super Bowl? The system just is not fair to coordiantors, or GMs for that matter. Not that I'm really feeling sorry for coordinators who are making a playoff run, but they get shafted because teams can't really hire them until their team is eliminated. That gives guys who fail and get fired a leg up in the process because of situations like Fossil's. Weis, Crennel, etc. have a limited amount of time they can spend interviewing becuase they're prepping for games. Fossil drops a deadline and now TD has his feet held to the fire to make a decision on whether to go with Fossil before his "deadline" passes, or wait and give due consideration to other candidates like Weis, Crennel, or Smith.

If I were TD, Fossil's little "power play" would piss me off because I'm trying to make sure I consider all my options and make the best decision for my football team. Having a guy try and pull the rug out from under you like that would leave me suspicious of the kind of relationship I could expect to have with a guy like that.

Hey TD...run, very quickly, the other way from this guy. Get a guy like Weis who wants a coaching position so badly he nearly lost his life to a surgical procedure to make himself more "presentable" as a head coach. Screw that. The best coach in the league has stock in playtex girdles. If this guy wants to eat a pork fat sandwich while teaching our quarterback how not to be a moron, more power to him. It's all about integrity...

Jeff1220
01-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Perhaps TD did have a contract ready for JF and he's been offered more elsewhere, and the deadline is the amount of time he'll give TD to match or Fassel goes to the other bidder.

Tatonka
01-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by superbills

Hey TD...run, very quickly, the other way from this guy. Get a guy like Weis who wants a coaching position so badly he nearly lost his life to a surgical procedure to make himself more "presentable" as a head coach. Screw that. The best coach in the league has stock in playtex girdles. If this guy wants to eat a pork fat sandwich while teaching our quarterback how not to be a moron, more power to him. It's all about integrity...

nice

Turf
01-06-2004, 10:01 PM
You're right superbills, it isn't right that other teams can hire coaches before the season is over.

HAMMER
01-06-2004, 10:01 PM
None of us know the whole story so I don't think we can say anyone is right or wrong. Negotiations very often involve deadlines and Fassel probably has some assurance from AZ that the job is his for the taking. He is keeping his options open and protecting his interests. A good businessman does that. That being said, Donahoe does tend to chew & spit ultimatums out.

Dozerdog
01-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by superbills
Why the hell don't they put a freeze on coach hiring until after the Super Bowl? The system just is not fair to coordiantors, or GMs for that matter....

The number one reason against this is the NCAA.

The NCAA bowls are over, and the recruiting for 2004 has begun. Since recruiting is huge, that's why colleges will fire or replace coaches well before bowl season is over- even if they are in a Bowl game (look at Nebraska)

Not only are HC candidates choosing between the NCAA and NFL- but so are assistant coaches. The rush is on to fill the vacancies so the new coaches can get staffs together well before the colleges scoop them up.

It used to be that the Coordinators on playoff teams were not allowed to interview until it was all over- but the NFL soon found out the hot candidates- including the hot MINORITY candidates- were shafted by their own success- see Marvin Lewis 3 seasons ago.

So to give Crennel, Lovie Smith, and other minorities a shot at these jobs before they get filled- the NFL relented and now allows them to be interviewed during the bye weeks (if they have one)

LtBillsFan66
01-06-2004, 10:04 PM
As for a time frame, Fassel backed away from earlier reports that said he wanted to have something finalized by the end of the week.

"I thought that that might happen, but like everything else, a lot of guys go through different processes. But I would imagine it would be sometime over the weekend or something like that, I'd have a pretty good idea."

http://www.wgrz.com/storyfull.asp?id=18357

socalfan
01-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Well it sounds like he has the makings of an offer and wants to get on with life....so anyone that can't or won't decide if they want him of the clubs that have interviewed him are risking him taking the proverbial bird in the hand.