PDA

View Full Version : How close are we?

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 06:23 PM
How many changes are needed before we can be a Super Bowl contender at the end of the regular season (15 teams or so are considered contenders at the beginning of the season).

Novacane
01-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Major upgrades. Contrary to popular opinion a new system is not going to solve all the problems on offense

baalworship
01-06-2004, 06:55 PM
In order to be a contender, we need the following:

Competent coaching staff across the board. We need Kirk Ferentz or Charlie Weis here. They can then start creating their own personal brain trust.

Offensive personnel upgrades:

QB and backup QB

Upgrade 2 out of 3 interior lineman and add depth. Perhaps do this by trading one of our backup tackles. We can address through draft, FA, and trades.

Talented #2 WR

Defense:

1 pass-rushing DE that can play opposite Schobel. Perhaps Kelsay or Denney is ready, perhaps not.

Play-making Free Safety that doesn't have stone hands.

Re-sign Winfield or comparable corner.

That's it.

saviorbledsoe
01-06-2004, 06:58 PM
1. Jim Fassel
2. A Peerless Price type reciever and put Reed back to 3.
3. A speedy gamebreaking DE
4. O-line help

= Championship in 2004

justasportsfan
01-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Hire the right coach and get some impact players via FA'cy.

HenryRules
01-06-2004, 10:30 PM
I think we need a major upgrade at:
OL
FS (or a minor upgrade at FS and a minor upgrade at CB - to Champ Bailey)
TE

At the same time, we'll also need a minor upgrade at either QB or WR and OL (if Drew stays, we need two OL and one receiver).

I don't think DE is that big of a need - Schoebel looked pretty solid at the end, and our DE on the other side is going to be better anyway.

Although, after 3 years of the GM and we still have this many holes to fill plus a coaching staff to redo ... I'm starting to lean towards firing TD (although I didn't vote that way).