PDA

View Full Version : Bills have one candidate left after meeting with Fassel

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Bills have one candidate left after meeting with Fassel

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
January 6, 2004
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Bills president Tom Donahoe has at least one more candidate to interview for Buffalo's vacancy after spending most of Tuesday with former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel.

Donahoe he had an interview scheduled for Wednesday, Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said. Berchtold would not identify the candidate or provide details of Donahoe's meeting with Fassel.

Fassel is the sixth candidate the Bills have interviewed in the last week since not rehiring Gregg Williams, who completed the third and final year of his contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-coachingsearch&prov=ap&type=lgns

What the hell?!:dizzy::confused:

Dozerdog
01-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Ferentz? :pray:

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Ferentz? :pray:

Your telling me!:pray: as well!:beer:

deathadder
01-06-2004, 07:21 PM
The candidate most likely is Mularky.

The_Philster
01-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by deathadder

:puke: I :pray: You're wrong

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by deathadder

That's what ESPN said but why would the Bills PR guy not say that if it was just Mularky?

JayWood
01-06-2004, 08:09 PM
I do not want JF as the next head coach of this team, thats just like hiring another GW. Ferentz needs to get flown into B-LO he is the guy we need as the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills

baalworship
01-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Why ARE the Bills being secretive? Won't someone spot the guy tomorrow at the airport or at One Bills Drive? Please let there be a Ferentz sighting tomorrow in Buffalo!

ArcticWildMan
01-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Oh god...please not Mularkey. :pray:

Tatonka
01-06-2004, 08:59 PM
this isnt even a question.. we know that it is Mularky... why are is everyone acting like it is a big secret.

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
this isnt even a question.. we know that it is Mularky... why are is everyone acting like it is a big secret.

That's the question we all would like to know.

Tatonka
01-06-2004, 09:11 PM
i mean everyone on the board.. so the bills didnt come right out and say it.. but it is already being reported by espn that it is mularky.

baalworship
01-06-2004, 09:19 PM
I don't care if the Bills interview Wade Phillips again as long as Fassel leaves Buffalo without a contract offer.

Nighthawk
01-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Tatonka, nowhere on ESPN does it say that tomorrow the Bills are going to interview Mularky. There were rumors that he may be of interest to the Bills, but nowhere do they come out and say that Mularky will be in town tomorrow. My bet is that it is a college coach...maybe Tressel. We will see.

Aero II
01-06-2004, 10:06 PM
KFFL is reporting that Fassel and was asked by the Bills to remain overnight, with a second session set for Wednesday. That is in addition to the Mularkey interview .

socalfan
01-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Well this with the Fassel stuff going on makes me think that the Bills told Fassel that they would discuss the candidates for the Bills position and make a decision about who there number one candidate is sometime by the end of the week. That would mean that Fassell could learn by this weekend if he is going to be the next Bills HC....the weekend due to some negotiation that would happen between the Bills and Fassel for him to figure out if the money is right.

The Spaz
01-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
Tatonka, nowhere on ESPN does it say that tomorrow the Bills are going to interview Mularky. There were rumors that he may be of interest to the Bills, but nowhere do they come out and say that Mularky will be in town tomorrow. My bet is that it is a college coach...maybe Tressel. We will see.

John Clayton said it on ESPN on the show "NFL Live".

TigerJ
01-06-2004, 10:40 PM
WBEN TV reports the last guy is Mularkey. Empire Sports reported that Washington's Dan Snyderbrenner may offer Fassel a 4 year deal worth $20 million. There's no cap for signing coaches so these guys with deep pockets figure they can just buy what they want. They're probably right. If I'm Fassel, even if I like the situation in Buffalo better, I'm not going to turn down a 20 million dollar deal to take a $10 million offer from the Bills, especially if it's a guaranteed contract, as many coaches' contracts are.

I think the current favorite for the Buffalo job is now Weis. Other than the fact that the Steeler offence has slumped recently, does anyone really know much about Mularkey?

cordog
01-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
WBEN TV reports the last guy is Mularkey. Empire Sports reported that Washington's Dan Snyderbrenner may offer Fassel a 4 year deal worth $20 million. There's no cap for signing coaches so these guys with deep pockets figure they can just buy what they want. They're probably right. If I'm Fassel, even if I like the situation in Buffalo better, I'm not going to turn down a 20 million dollar deal to take a $10 million offer from the Bills, especially if it's a guaranteed contract, as many coaches' contracts are.

I think the current favorite for the Buffalo job is now Weis. Other than the fact that the Steeler offence has slumped recently, does anyone really know much about Mularkey?

I know there offense this year is comparable to Buffalo's. Went away from the running game they had been known for for years, showed that Tommy Maddox is probably a one hit wonder, questionable playcalling at times and they had absolutely no identity. Mularkey has shown with Kordell Stewart and Maddox that he can get them to play well, but when D's start catching on, he has no clue how to adjust. You think Gilbride's playcalling was bad? I couldnt tell you how many INTs Maddox had inside the 5 this year.

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Ferentz, come to Buffalo! I will cheer loud and proud!

Stay there if you want, but I think you could create a dynasty in Buffalo, without Bledsoe!

don137
01-07-2004, 06:50 AM
My hope it is a college coach like Ferentz and that is why it is so secretive but I am not getting my hopes up. It also could be Haslett ....I still think Haslett is a strong possibility...

WagonCircler
01-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by don137
My hope it is a college coach like Ferentz and that is why it is so secretive but I am not getting my hopes up. It also could be Haslett ....I still think Haslett is a strong possibility...

The best thing about the Haslett situation, and maybe one of the strongest indicators, is that the Bills wouldn't be competing with anyone else for him. Haslett wouldn't have spoken to anyone at all about his interest unless he had a VERY clear indication from Tom Benson that he could be let out of his contract for the Buffalo job. This may all be smoke and mirrors so that TD can claim to have conducted an exhaustive search, avoiding potential "cronyism" accusations.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Why is everyone so sure about Ferentz and Mularky? Couldn't it be Denny Green? Unless he's been interviewed already and I didn't know...

WagonCircler
01-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Denny Green is going to the Raiduhs. It's as good as done.

Earthquake Enyart
01-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Jimmy Johnson. :couch:

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Jimmy Johnson. :couch:
Kevin Gilbride :couch::couch: