PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so high on Weis??

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2004, 07:59 AM
I just don't understand why suddenly everyone here is so high on Charlie Weis. What has the guy done?

He's never been a HC first of all. I thought we all wanted someone with HC experience after the GW experiment.

Has his offense been leading the league in anything? Is it even in the Top 10? I don't think so. Is it a high flying offense? No. All we see is dink and dunk with the screen pass, and we all know that it isn't what Drew is about. He's about the big play deep pass.

I for one am not too excited about Weis. If he does in fact become our HC, I'll hope he'll succeed. But for now, I'm hoping for Fassel or Denny Green.

Michael82
01-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Great post and I have been wondering the same thing. :bf1:

Just say NO to Coordinators and College Coaches!

Earthquake Enyart
01-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Mine is a physical attraction. Nothing more. He looks like a football coach. No more mealy mouth whiny hillbillies.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Another thing I forgot. After the Gilbride debacle, didn't we all demand a power running game?? Look at NE's running game: Antowain Smith? Kevin Faulk? Mike Cloud? Puuuuleeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz.

Devin
01-07-2004, 08:32 AM
lol! game. set. and match. Pretty much said it all.

pats-were-right
01-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Great post and I have been wondering the same thing.

Just say NO to Coordinators and College Coaches

Yeah! John Fox, Jack DelRio, Andy Reed, Marvin Lewis and John Gruden should NEVER have gotten chances!

It's not the fact he's a first timer. it's the caliber of a first timer.

Novacane
01-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by pats-were-right

Yeah! John Fox, Jack DelRio, Andy Reed, Marvin Lewis and John Gruden should NEVER have gotten chances!

It's not the fact he's a first timer. it's the caliber of a first timer.

Now I KNOW I don't want him if a Pats fan is sticking up for him. Probably wants to us to take another loser off their hands:dink:

TedMock
01-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Another thing I forgot. After the Gilbride debacle, didn't we all demand a power running game?? Look at NE's running game: Antowain Smith? Kevin Faulk? Mike Cloud? Puuuuleeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz.

That's just it. He also had Curtis Martin in NY and he won the rushing title that year. Weis doesn't love one system which is exactly why he's been successful. He coaches around the talent he has. NE has terrible RB's, no doubt, yet they still averaged just over 100 ypg on the ground! Tom Brady's a good QB but they also have no premier wideout. Troy Brown? He's good but he's a mid-tier WR. The fact that these guys have overachieved is a testament to Weis. Weis is the ONLY non-head coach that I'd be okay with us hiring.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-07-2004, 09:04 AM
He has two SB rings, he is smart, and he is one tough SOB. Weiss prepares his teams. He has made a quarterback with minimal talent into one of the best in the game. He has that same attributes in his receivers and running backs, yet his team has home field advantage in the playoffs. Weiss has worked with two of the best coaches in football today. I am sure he has learned a lot from them. He comes from the best organization in the NFL.

There are some reasons.

Michael82
01-07-2004, 09:07 AM
You are forgetting one major negative. The long wait. if the Pats go all the way...The Bills have to sit until February 1st and will lose out on a lot of coaches for their staff. We'd probably end up keeping most of our staff. :eek:

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
We'd probably end up keeping most of our staff. :eek:
Steckel as OC, LeBeau as DC. Nothing wrong with that. :up:

TedMock
01-07-2004, 09:12 AM
also, he's had mentors like Bellichek and Parcells. Not bad teachers.

Jeff1220
01-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Why is everyone so high on Weis??

How do I get some of this Weiss stuff?
:mex:

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
also, he's had mentors like Bellichek and Parcells. Not bad teachers.
GW had Fisher, and look where that got him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-07-2004, 09:30 AM

GW had Fisher, and look where that got him.

Actually, besides Coughlin and Belichek, who else has been succesful that has come from the Parcell's coaching family tree?

cordog
01-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
You are forgetting one major negative. The long wait. if the Pats go all the way...The Bills have to sit until February 1st and will lose out on a lot of coaches for their staff. We'd probably end up keeping most of our staff. :eek:

Who knows? They might be out by the weekend.

venis2k1
01-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Here is a question, what is weiss's record with bledsoe at QB?

baalworship
01-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Fassel vs Weis:

Charlie Weis (Jets & Pats Offensive Coordinator)

Year Points Rank Yards Rank

Jets
1997 12 24
1998 5 4
1999 19 25

Pats

2000 25 22
2001 6 19
2002 10 22
2003 12 18

As you can see, Weis only had 1 year in 7 when his team ranked 20 or lower in points scored. That was his first year with Pats and Drew. His teams averaged 12.7 in scoring out of basically 32 teams.

Jim Fassel

Giants

Year Points Rank Yards Rank

1997 21 28
1998 23 29
1999 20 16
2000 15 12
2001 21 9
2002 22 7
2003 30 19

As you can see, Fassel's teams differ wildly year to year in moving the ball. The one constant? Lack of scoring, which is the point. Only once in 7 years did Fassel's team do better than 20th or worse. His teams averaged 21.7 out of basically 32 teams in scoring. This is what you want in Buffalo?!

These stats get worse when you actually look at the talent on these teams objectively. Weis has only a couple of players on offense that I would like. The rest is smoke & mirrors. Weis is clearly a better candidate for someone looking for points for Buffalo next year to help our defense.

Give Weis a healthy Moulds, Travis Henry, McGahee, and another TE or WR in the draft and we will be a top 10 offense in points next year.

Dozerdog
01-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
Actually, besides Coughlin and Belichek, who else has been succesful that has come from the Parcell's coaching family tree?

Take away his 2 best coaches-:rofl:

That's 3 AFC championship game appearances and 1 SB ring

Dozerdog
01-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Al Groh and Ray Hanley were flops- but both were last second selections after their first choices were pulled out from the NYG & NYJ

Dozerdog
01-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Parcells usually surrounds himself with older, experienced staffs. Former head coaches like Ron Earhardt, Dan Henning and the like. Usually guys who already were coaches once- or guys who have folowed him forever. Weiss, Crenell, - Maurice Carthon is supposed to be the next big name

RedEyE
01-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Honestly there isn't anyone on the Pat's offense that impresses me. Yet, Weis and Bellichick are able to make something literally out of nothing. Weis ustilizes his players to the best of their abilities and regardless of where the rank statistically, the players play like everyday is the Super Bowl. He studies each week's opponent thouroughly and attacks those defenses with different schemes in order to fortify a win. His players respond to his ideas and EXECUTE accordingly. What he does might not be the prettiest way of getting it done, but it works. Will he be a good Head Coach....? Only time will tell. I do know this, Fassel - FAIL / Jauron - FAIL. Now I'm one for beliving in second chances, but I just don't want that chance to be given by my football team.

BuffaloRanger
01-07-2004, 07:58 PM
He has two SB rings, he is smart, and he is one tough SOB. Weiss prepares his teams. He has made a quarterback with minimal talent into one of the best in the game. He has that same attributes in his receivers and running backs, yet his team has home field advantage in the playoffs. Weiss has worked with two of the best coaches in football today. I am sure he has learned a lot from them. He comes from the best organization in the NFL.

There are some reasons.

One of those SB rings were at the expense of Jimbo and the Bills. So I automatically hate him forever. :pow:

Dozerdog
01-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Bring in Weiss!

I'll leave Fassil to the chicken littles who want to panic and bring him in for the sake of getting it over with

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Bring in Weiss so we have something to get excited about.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Weiss' record with Bledsoe is like 5-11

mchurchfie
01-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Weiss' record with Bledsoe is like 5-11

Good point, Bledsoe could not excell in Weiss's offense that was why he was made expendable. GW had a top ranked defenses before he came in too...so much for previous accomplishments.:eek:

Mr. Miyagi
01-08-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm still not sold on Weis. NE has been winning because of their defense, not their offense.

The Spaz
01-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Tom Brady sure has some good #'s though.