PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it, but I think Donahoe dropped the ball on Tom Coughlin

Michael82
01-07-2004, 10:20 AM
I was just watching his press conference on the NFL Network. And all I gotta say is...WOW! He is very prepared and sounded like he still has a lot of fire left in him. His answers were swift and he seemed like a tough guy at times. He also seemed to know what he was talking about. This is what I wish we had....

"Must be about the restoration of our pride and return the energy and passion of our football. From a techincal standpoint, Effort must be returned and shown. Football is a tough game played by tough people. We must control both lines of scriminage. We must run the football and stop the run."

"Must eliminate turnovers. More games are lost than won. Eliminate penalties. Special teams, and field position must be a catalyst. The players want details, disicpline, and goals. My job is to convince the players that the difference in this age of parity is in the preparation."

The Spaz
01-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Don't all press conferences sound pretty much the same. It's just gameday actions I pay attention to.

Ebenezer
01-07-2004, 10:25 AM
I hate to say I told ya so...but...

Michael82
01-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Don't all press conferences sound pretty muh the same. It's just gameday actions I pay attention to.

Yeah, but do you remember listening to Gregg's? He was too busy bashing our defense and saying that his was better. He also did not look confident. Coughlin looks confident and looks and sounds like a coach should.

Michael82
01-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I hate to say I told ya so...but...

TD should get the blame for this, DEFINITELY! He is dragging his feet in it and seems to be in love with Weis too much. Interviews should not be the main thing you look for. Look what happen last time. :shakeno:

The Spaz
01-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282

Yeah, but do you remember listening to Gregg's? He was too busy bashing our defense and saying that his was better. He also did not look confident. Coughlin looks confident and looks and sounds like a coach should.

I hear you on that though. Please get rid of Gregg Williams picture as your signature he is gone....ahhhhhhhhhhhh!:mad::lol:

The Spaz
01-07-2004, 10:30 AM

TD should get the blame for this, DEFINITELY! He is dragging his feet in it and seems to be in love with Weis too much. Interviews should not be the main thing you look for. Look what happen last time. :shakeno:

We don't know what he is looking for this time around though. It could be organization it could be game plannign and it could be certain schemes who knows. I'm not going to blame TD until when or if this coach turns out to suck.

Indy Bills Fan
01-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Williams was well prepared 3 years ago. Didn't do him any good. Except he was ALOT more arrogant than TC sounds.

mackey789
01-07-2004, 10:37 AM
you want gilbride here for another 4 years? i dont think so

Ingtar33
01-07-2004, 10:42 AM
um... TD never had a chance to even interveiw Tom Coughlin... the Bills were the next team on his "to visit" list... and the giants locked him in a room and hammered out a contract.

How did TD drop the ball?

Michael82
01-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
um... TD never had a chance to even interveiw Tom Coughlin... the Bills were the next team on his "to visit" list... and the giants locked him in a room and hammered out a contract.

How did TD drop the ball?

They didn't try to bring him in, did they? I heard that they weren't planning on bringing him in until this week. Why is that? He should have been one of the first ones in last week. Before he went back to the Giants for 2nd interview

Michael82
01-07-2004, 10:49 AM
As long as we got you here, what are you hearing about the Bills job? Is Fassel their #1 choice? After Mularkey is done today, does that conclude the interview process? Or are there more candidates? :scratch:

:feedback:

The Spaz
01-07-2004, 10:49 AM

They didn't try to bring him in, did they? I heard that they weren't planning on bringing him in until this week. Why is that? He should have been one of the first ones in last week. Before he went back to the Giants for 2nd interview

Jim Fassell was fired with 2 weeks left to go in the season so they could start looking earlier than we did.

Patrick76777
01-07-2004, 10:50 AM
I bet he won't drop the ball on Dick!

Michael82
01-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Jim Fassell was fired with 2 weeks left to go in the season so they could start looking earlier than we did.

true, but TD knew he was going to be looking for a new coach and I bet he was seriously getting ready. Remember, Gregg's contract was done at the end of the season anyways.

JJamezz
01-07-2004, 10:58 AM
What makes you think Coughlin would be here had TD interviewed him earlier? The impression I get is that the Giants were his first choice all along.

kgun12
01-07-2004, 11:13 AM
TC has a bad reputation about his how is treats the players, and it's not a good one. T. Spikes wanted nothing to do with TC, on 107.7 he said this is the NFL not the military! There has to be someone better than TC to take us were we want to be, don't you think?

Historian
01-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by kgun12
TC has a bad reputation about his how is treats the players, and it's not a good one. T. Spikes wanted nothing to do with TC, on 107.7 he said this is the NFL not the military! There has to be someone better than TC to take us were we want to be, don't you think?

With the inmates running the asylum? Doubtful. Players need to shut up and play.

casdhf
01-07-2004, 11:30 AM
I really don't want anything to do with the sweater vest that Fassel is wearing in mike's sig.

Michael82
01-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
I really don't want anything to do with the sweater vest that Fassel is wearing in mike's sig.

LOL! That's what I was thinking. But look at him yelling....isn't that the discipline that we need? :snicker:

Ingtar33
01-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Ah, well i think Fassel is a near lock for the job...

though i sincerely hope TD at least does Marv the courtesy of giving him an interview... of all the guys out there, no-one (with the exception of Gibbs or Walsh) has the resume of Marv.

some numbers for you... 143-112 (56%) career record... 112-70 (61%) Bills HC record... 8 of 12 winning seasons (8 of 10 non-strike shortened or full year) as coach of the Bills... 8 playoff seasons (in 10 non-strike shortened or full years), and only two loosing seasons (in a non strike shortened or full year), they were the 7-9 season in 1994 and 6-10 in his final year in Buffalo (1997). Finally, a stunning 11-8 playoff record.

We were spoiled in Buffalo to have a great HC for 12 years, and i think he should get an interview, if for no other reason than i think he earned one.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2004, 12:23 PM
:bf1:

I found myself jumping to every Ingtar's post, and paying my full attention as if the President was speaking to me or something.

:hail:Ingtar

Michael82
01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Ah, well i think Fassel is a near lock for the job...

though i sincerely hope TD at least does Marv the courtesy of giving him an interview... of all the guys out there, no-one (with the exception of Gibbs or Walsh) has the resume of Marv.

some numbers for you... 143-112 (56%) career record... 112-70 (61%) Bills HC record... 8 of 12 winning seasons (8 of 10 non-strike shortened or full year) as coach of the Bills... 8 playoff seasons (in 10 non-strike shortened or full years), and only two loosing seasons (in a non strike shortened or full year), they were the 7-9 season in 1994 and 6-10 in his final year in Buffalo (1997). Finally, a stunning 11-8 playoff record.

We were spoiled in Buffalo to have a great HC for 12 years, and i think he should get an interview, if for no other reason than i think he earned one.

I figured Fassel was a lock. I think TD is just playing poker with Fassel, now that he holds all the cards. As far as Marv...I totally agree. I'm amazed that no one has given him a chance. if you listen to him on the radio or on TV, he certainly knows what he is talking about and is in good shape. I'd love to see Marv back, or at least given an interview. :up:

Good post, man! It's great to see you back. :bf1:

Michael82
01-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
:bf1:

I found myself jumping to every Ingtar's post, and paying my full attention as if the President was speaking to me or something.

:hail:Ingtar

I totally agree! :hail: Ingtar

BillsFever
01-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Here is another case of Bills fans thinking that we can just sign any player or coach that we want.

Seeing it was Coughlin's only interview, I'll take it as that's where he wanted to be. He could've accepted our interview if he had interest in the job. We don't own the players and coaches. It takes two to tango. I know you don't wanna believe it, but not every player or coach wants to be a Bill.

It will be the same when FA rolls around in about 6 weeks. Every good player that doesn't sign with Buffalo will be because TD dropped the ball. It has went on for about 3 years and I don't see it changing this year.

Buffalo isn't the only team in the NFL. God forbid a player or coach actually wanted to be somewhere else.

THATHURMANATOR
01-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Ingtar do you think Marv would do well if he came back to coach or is he to old to get the job? Also do you think that Coughlin is so much better than Fassel? I personnally Am not a big Coughlin fan and am undecided about Fassell.

BillsFever
01-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Who the heck would want a 78 year old Marv Levy? I know he is a town favorite from the 90's but give me a break.

He couldn't win the Super Bowl for us with the best team in the NFL for 4 years. I don't see him doing it 13 years later with a less talented team.

Everybody is crying for a tough coach that doesn't take any crap from the players yet they want Marv back? Marv's downfall was he let the players run the asylum.

Don't get me wrong, I like Marv and he is a good guy. I blame him for our Super Bowl losses though. He was totally unprepared and outcoached in them 4 losses.