PDA

View Full Version : It's gonna be Weis.

lordofgun
01-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Mark my words. Weiss is the man TD wants. If TD wanted Mularkey or Fassel, he would have offered them a contract by now.

Rumor is that TD was impressed with Weis. My bet is that less than 48 hours after the pats are knocked out (This weekend, I hope!), he will be our new coach.

It makes sense.

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 08:53 PM
I hope your right.

socalfan
01-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Since the story is out that TD was impressed with Weiss but no news on the Crennel interview.....I would suppose that Crennel is in the mix.....isn't it TD's motis operendi to hide who he likes??

Nighthawk
01-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Mark my words...we won't win & make the playoffs if Weis is hired. Look at past history...coordinators with no head coaching experience rarely make the playoffs their first year as "the man."

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
Mark my words...we won't win & make the playoffs if Weis is hired. Look at past history...coordinators with no head coaching experience rarely make the playoffs their first year as "the man."

well I don't think we are making the playoffs next season, regardless of who is coaching.

Anyways, I hate your argument. Every head coach was a rookie at some point.

baalworship
01-07-2004, 09:14 PM
The reason why coaches with no head coaching experience do poorly their first year is because they inherit pretty bad teams. Buffalo will make the playoffs next year with Weis as head coach IF Bledsoe improves or is replaced.

We have the D players in place. All we need to do is have the team in the top 15 in scoring. Weis has a pretty good record with getting teams to score, regardless of whether they move the ball well. Remember, we also are in good shape cap wise and TD will be making some moves to improve the offensive side of the ball.

Nighthawk
01-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Natrix, you hate my argument, but you have no counter argument...hmmm, interesting. Coordinators are like rookie QB's, they may become good in 3-4 years, but they rarely win in their first year. If you want to wait to win, that's your choice & opinion, but I'm tired of waiting.

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Courtesy of dozerdog:

Martz- SB loss in year 2

Billick- SB win in year 2

I think the right coordinator can do it fairly quickly

....and then this year there is Lewis and Fox.

Nighthawk
01-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Good argument...how many went to the playoffs their first year??? Yep, that's right...0! Belicheck was HC in Cleveland first and really was horrible, so that is a false argument.

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Natrix, you hate my argument, but you have no counter argument...hmmm, interesting. Coordinators are like rookie QB's, they may become good in 3-4 years, but they rarely win in their first year. If you want to wait to win, that's your choice & opinion, but I'm tired of waiting.

would you rather be a first round playoff loser 3 years in a row or miss the playoffs for two years and then win it all? I think the choice is simple, especially for Bills fans.

Nighthawk
01-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Great attitude...like I've said before, I'm tired of being on the 3 year plan. It seems like we've been on it forever! Sorry, but I don't buy into that thinking.

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Good argument...how many went to the playoffs their first year??? Yep, that's right...0! Belicheck was HC in Cleveland first and really was horrible, so that is a false argument.

what I can't understand is that you simply would rather have Fassel over Weis because he has HC experience. Is there any other things you like about Fassel. What don't you like about Weis? Who would you rather have if Weis had some HC experience?

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Great attitude...like I've said before, I'm tired of being on the 3 year plan. It seems like we've been on it forever! Sorry, but I don't buy into that thinking.

This is not actually what I think would happen. In fact, I believe Weis would be more successful in his first year than Fassel would. Weis would do whatever it takes to win. Assuming Bledsoe stays, I am confident he would bring in a competent #2 QB and wouldn't hesitate to bench Bledsoe if he struggles (likely). Fassel on the other hand would never pull him, no matter how bad it gets. After all, he wouldn't want to lose his trademark of "turning QBs around." :rolleyes:

Nighthawk
01-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Why do you like Weis so much? He has been under Belichek's coaching and it is that in which has guided the Pats to there record, not Weis. In fact, the Pats offense has not been that good this year. Do I love Fassel, no. Was he my first choice, no...I would have like Coughlin, I thought his discipline would have been a good fit for this team. However, Fassel made Collins look good and the Giants have been good on offense since he has been there. They had some injuries this past year that hurt. Plus, I like the fact that he took the team to the playoffs 3 years and a SB. Plus, he did this in New York City...not a very easy town to succeed in. Weis may be good, but I just don't think he is the right choice for this team, at this time.

moogyman
01-07-2004, 09:44 PM
hey, maybe T.D 's secret choice for h.c is to promote K.G??????

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Collins is a decent QB. Why does Fassel get credit for his success? Just because he started playing well after Fassel arrived? I think it was just a coincidence. And it is not like Collins was lighting it up. How many pro-bowls does he have? He will do just fine under Tom C.

Also, what other QBs has Fassel supposedly "resurrected?"

Nighthawk
01-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Moogy, don't even joke like that!!!

The Natrix
01-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by moogyman
hey, maybe T.D 's secret choice for h.c is to promote K.G??????

If he did that, he would need to hire about 200 bodyguards.

moogyman
01-07-2004, 09:47 PM
hey, maybe T.D 's secret choice for h.c is to promote K.G?????? J/k j/k................geeeeeeez people have a sense of humor.

Nighthawk
01-07-2004, 09:48 PM
We know...where just kiddin' with ya right back!

mypoorfriendme
01-07-2004, 10:28 PM
how come everyone wants fassel so badly, HE WAS FIRED FOR A REASON!!

The Spaz
01-07-2004, 10:29 PM
So was every coach who is available.

BuffaloRanger
01-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

what I can't understand is that you simply would rather have Fassel over Weis because he has HC experience. Is there any other things you like about Fassel. What don't you like about Weis? Who would you rather have if Weis had some HC experience?

Weis may be a good coach one day, but I don't want the Bills to develop him for another team.

Plus he beat us in SB25 - so I hate him.

SoCalBillsFan
01-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Weis or fassel would be fine with me. Weis has a good offensive track record. Fassel, IMO, did a good job with mediocre talent. Kerry collins is no better than bledsoe. Either one is fine by me.

Tatonka
01-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
isn't it TD's motis operendi to hide who he likes??

that is one of the smartest things i have ever read.. :D

Demon
01-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Maybe Weis will be good, but i don't want to take the chance. I am sick of these New England connections. Bledsoe has failed. Milloy isn't that great, Weis might be hyped up but who really knows. I'd reather not dig into New England again unless we're getting Tom Brady.

cordog
01-08-2004, 01:43 AM

Ray Rhodes was a rookie HC and got his team to the playoffs
Fassel was a rookie HC and got his team to the playoffs
Callahan was a rookie HC and got his team to the SB
Fox has gotten his team deeper in the playoffs than the Bills have been since 95 and hes in his second year.

Would you rather have a decent HC that can get you into the playoffs the first year , or would you rather have a good HC that might not get you there year 1 but will keep you in SB contention for years?

cordog
01-08-2004, 01:49 AM
LETS GO TITANS!!!!!!!

STAMPY
01-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by cordog

Ray Rhodes was a rookie HC and got his team to the playoffs
Fassel was a rookie HC and got his team to the playoffs
Callahan was a rookie HC and got his team to the SB
Fox has gotten his team deeper in the playoffs than the Bills have been since 95 and hes in his second year.

Would you rather have a decent HC that can get you into the playoffs the first year , or would you rather have a good HC that might not get you there year 1 but will keep you in SB contention for years?

he got u there NIGHTHAWK!!! I still prefer my boy jim fassil for his offensive mindset and his no excuses demeanor... he got a lot out of a mediocre team... that sb year they had no business in sb. i hate the pats offense so forget weiss

Historian
01-08-2004, 06:39 AM
Why do you like Weis so much? He has been under Belichek's coaching and it is that in which has guided the Pats to there record, not Weis. In fact, the Pats offense has not been that good this year. Do I love Fassel, no. Was he my first choice, no...I would have like Coughlin, I thought his discipline would have been a good fit for this team. However, Fassel made Collins look good and the Giants have been good on offense since he has been there. They had some injuries this past year that hurt. Plus, I like the fact that he took the team to the playoffs 3 years and a SB. Plus, he did this in New York City...not a very easy town to succeed in. Weis may be good, but I just don't think he is the right choice for this team, at this time.

Amen to that. This would be a bad choice at this particular time.

baalworship
01-08-2004, 06:54 AM
The goal of a football game is to score more points than your opponent. Fassel's Giants have been good on offense? Good at what? Certainly not scoring points.

Weis's Jets and Pats, where he called the plays, have done much better than the Giants in scoring points.

Again:

Weis As Offensive Coordinator (7 year span): Points Ranking Out of 32 Teams: 12

Fassel's Giants (Where Fassel was the offensive mastermind): Points Ranking Out of 32 Teams: 21

zone
01-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
well I don't think we are making the playoffs next season, regardless of who is coaching.

??? are you serious?

EDS
01-08-2004, 07:32 AM
I think either Weis or Fassel would be good choices. In defense of Weis and his lack of head coaching experience, I think he is bringing something different then GW when he arrived three years ago.

Specifically, GW was a defensive guy coming from a program where the head coach was a defensive guy (Fischer), so he was really operating a unit under the direct influence of the head coach.

Weiss, on the other hand, is an offensive guy who has coached under defensive minded head coaches in Parcells and Belichek (sp?). So in a way, at least he is piloting his own ship.

The argument that a rookie head coach cannot take you to the playoffs is a joke. I don't have the time or inclination to do the research, but I am sure that there are numerous rookie HC's who have succeeded/made the playoffs in their first year. I would put money on it.

That said, I don't know enough about Weis to say he will be "the guy" but he has the resume and if TD wants to hire him far be it from me to second guess that decision.

TigerJ
01-08-2004, 08:26 AM
I don't think there is any point in arguing first time vs. experienced head coach unless there is a willingmess to go back the last ten years and compare the first year records of every first year coach, first timers and those with experience. Even then the best you can come up with are trends. Suppose experienced head coaches make the playoffs in their first year with a new team at a 25% higher rate than a first timer. How do you know the potential first timer you're looking at isn't the guy who will beat the trend or the experienced guy you're looking at isn't going to crash and burn?

I don't have a real strong feeling for any guy at the moment. I have been thinking that the Bills would be better off going with an offensive guy and hopefully retaining the defensive staff. However, it seems that the Bills have given all assistants permission to seek other employment. It's the fair thing to do, I suppose. Even if an offensive guy is hired, he may want to bring in the defensive people he's comfortable with. Given that, the advantage of bringing in an offensive guy is considerably diminished. The only significant disadvantage of hiring an assistant from a playoff team is the necessity of waiting to conclude the deal. The list of available assistants will be shinking.

Earthquake Enyart
01-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Mark my words. Weiss is the man TD wants. If TD wanted Mularkey or Fassel, he would have offered them a contract by now.

Rumor is that TD was impressed with Weis. My bet is that less than 48 hours after the pats are knocked out (This weekend, I hope!), he will be our new coach.

It makes sense.

I don't beleive it until BrianH says it's true. He has WAY better sources than any one the zone has. :cynic:

mchurchfie
01-08-2004, 10:39 AM
True that!:up:

Jan Reimers
01-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Isn't Weis - a fertile offensive mind and a disciple of Parcells - the kind of guy we want, versus a retread like Fassel?

Historian
01-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Remember the good old days, when the Patriots, Colts, Jets and fish used to sift through our garbage. It seems that's all we've been doing for two years now.