PDA

View Full Version : The Buzz in Buffalo....

Michael82
01-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey interviewed with Buffalo officials about the Bills' head coaching job on Wednesday, and team president Tom Donahoe asked Mularkey if he could discuss the job further Thursday on the phone.

"Things went well and we had a very good day, but we kind of ran out of time and Tom wants to talk a little more,'' Mularkey said Wednesday night. "I actually was almost late for my plane [to Pittsburgh].''

Mularkey is one of seven interviewed candidates in what appears to be the Bills' wide-open coaching search. Donahoe said he will present the list of the seven candidates to owner Ralph Wilson, but set no timetable for making a decision.

Besides Mularkey, the Bills have also met with ex-Giants head coach Jim Fassel, ex-Bears head coach Dick Jauron, Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, and three candidates whose teams are still alive in the playoffs: Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith.

Weis is thought to be among the strongest of candidates if Donahoe opts for a first-time head coach -- something it is believed he'd rather not do given that the fired Gregg Williams fit that profile three years ago. If an experienced head coach is the choice, Jauron may have slipped ahead of Fassel in Donahoe's view.

Mularkey also has interviewed this offseason with Atlanta, and his name is thought likely to surface in Oakland as well, where he fits the profile that owner Al Davis traditionally looks for: A young, creative offensive coach. Mularkey and Donahoe worked together in Pittsburgh, and one factor thought to be in Mularkey's favor in Buffalo is that he would hire well-respected former Giants offensive line coach Jim McNally to his Bills staff.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/don_banks/01/08/coaching.buzz/index.html

The Spaz
01-08-2004, 11:52 AM
McNally would leave Fassell, interesting?!

HAMMER
01-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Leave Fassell? They aren't together anymore and Fassell doesn't have a job.

The Spaz
01-08-2004, 12:10 PM
I know this but I thought if Fassell were to get a job then McNally would follow.

SABURZFAN
01-08-2004, 12:23 PM
what a bunch of mularkey.

i hope we don't hire him.