PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton on Bills coaching search

Novacane
01-08-2004, 06:52 PM
He was just on ESPN news. He said look for things to really heat up in the next 24 hours. He does not think it will be Fassel.

That would have to mean Mularkey, Jauron, or Gray.

shelby
01-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks FTG.

The suspense is killing me!
:dizzy:

nolimit
01-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I suddenly want Mularkey! Just a gut feeling!

Novacane
01-08-2004, 07:00 PM
One thing he said is Gibbs and Williams do want most of our defensive staff if the new coach does not retain them.

Mr. Miyagi
01-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
That would have to mean Mularkey, Jauron, or Gray.
Or Weis.

ArcticWildMan
01-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Nope. Can't hire Weiss unless the Pats lose this weekend.

Devin
01-08-2004, 08:48 PM
i suddenly feel nausious.

TigerJ
01-08-2004, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't mind Weis, but I'm not crazy about waiting until the Patriots are out of the playoffs. The new coach has to put a staff together. The longer we have to wait for a new coach to be named, the smaller the available pool of candidates for assistants. The current defensive assistants will start to get antsy and may request release to take new positions (with Washington).

All things considered, that makes me think TD might be better off going with a guy who's available now.

Michael82
01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I wouldn't mind Weis, but I'm not crazy about waiting until the Patriots are out of the playoffs. The new coach has to put a staff together. The longer we have to wait for a new coach to be named, the smaller the available pool of candidates for assistants. The current defensive assistants will start to get antsy and may request release to take new positions (with Washington).

All things considered, that makes me think TD might be better off going with a guy who's available now.

Great post! :bf1: I couldn't say it any better myself! :up:

kjwill91
01-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Juron, Gray, Lovie or Romeo......... We need offense, not defense... Just sign Fassel and get it over with for crying out loud. This is the guy to put us over the hump!!!!!!!!!

Michael82
01-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by kjwill91
Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Juron, Gray, Lovie or Romeo......... We need offense, not defense... Just sign Fassel and get it over with for crying out loud.

EXACTLY! :D

helmetguy
01-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Fassel will put us over the hump? Huh? Playoffs three years out of seven? One trip to the SB in those same seven years? This is the same HC who blew a three TD lead over SF to lose a playoff game in OT, then blamed it on a bad call from the officials? That guy?

I'd love to have a new HC named fairly soon, too. After a season of watching the team slowly concede defeat, I don't want a guy in here who just left a similar situation.

LABillsFan
01-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Unless Weiss had agreed to keep the D coaching staff if he were t be hired and would take care of the OC position himself.

Michael82
01-08-2004, 09:36 PM
BTW, Welcome to BillsZone, kjwill91! :up:

BillsFever
01-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
EXACTLY! :D

How about we make a bet on Fassel? I'll bet ya 10,000 Zonebucks he isn't our coach. We can both surely afford it.

Michael82
01-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
How about we make a bet on Fassel? I'll bet ya 10,000 Zonebucks he isn't our coach. We can both surely afford it.

10,000 ZBs? A little rich for my blood. One question. If there a time limit? If not, I will bet you 5,000 that Fassel will become the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills. :D

BillsFever
01-08-2004, 10:01 PM
10,000 ZBs? A little rich for my blood. One question. If there a time limit? If not, I will bet you 5,000 that Fassel will become the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills. :D

No time limit. He either ends up the coach or he doesn't. 5k it is.

Dozerdog
01-08-2004, 10:04 PM

Let the coaches get antsy- they are under contract. They get paid next year if they coach or not- or unless they are released from their contracts and sign elswhere.

Too bad they have to wait. They should have signed 1 year deals if they didn't want to wait.

LABillsFan
01-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Makes you wonder if this isn't exactly what TD had instore from the beginning. This way some of the coaches are retained to keep continuity.

kgun12
01-08-2004, 10:29 PM

All of the asst. coaches still in the playoffs have already talked to coaches that they would like to have with them if they get hired. Don't worry if weis get (got) the job, he already has his coaches picked!

kjwill91
01-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Thank you !!!!!!!!! Mike 32282

kgun12
01-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
Makes you wonder if this isn't exactly what TD had instore from the beginning. This way some of the coaches are retained to keep continuity.

Maybe that's part of the deaL, but if the new coach is worth a damn, he will want ALL his own guys in there. Could you see Parcells, Gibbs, or any good coach being told: in order for you to talk this job you must keep (or hire) this guy. I have coached a lot of teams from little league, high school and in the Air Force and the one thing I know is if you are not on the same page with the other coaches it make for confussed players, confussed coaches that are always on edge. No sir I want a coach that has total control for who he hires.

BuffaloRanger
01-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Fassel gets paid 2.7 million from the jints if he doesn't find another job.

If you could get paid 2.7 million for hanging with your family all fall why the hell not. He could always throw his hat back in the ring (ala Coughlin)

Turf
01-08-2004, 11:41 PM

No time limit. He either ends up the coach or he doesn't. 5k it is.

Just don't bet with Spaz :dink: , he'll weasel out of his bet. I don't even remember how many thousands of zone bucks he owes me. All I remember is he refused to pay his loss.

TypicalBill
01-09-2004, 01:45 AM

Billsfever has a 5/6 chance he's gonna win it , while you have a 1/6 chance .... you need to make him pick a candidate he thinks is gonna win the job, that way you both have even chances :cynic: this is 5k we're talkin about here.

:tongue: BF

Michael82
01-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
Billsfever has a 5/6 chance he's gonna win it , while you have a 1/6 chance .... you need to make him pick a candidate he thinks is gonna win the job, that way you both have even chances :cynic: this is 5k we're talkin about here.

:tongue: BF

Good idea, BillsFever...change of bet. I will bet you 5,000 ZBs that Jim Fassel gets the job, you gotta bet me 5,000 ZBs that __________ gets the job. Who do you choose?

HenryRules
01-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by kgun12

Maybe that's part of the deaL, but if the new coach is worth a damn, he will want ALL his own guys in there. Could you see Parcells, Gibbs, or any good coach being told: in order for you to talk this job you must keep (or hire) this guy. I have coached a lot of teams from little league, high school and in the Air Force and the one thing I know is if you are not on the same page with the other coaches it make for confussed players, confussed coaches that are always on edge. No sir I want a coach that has total control for who he hires.

Funny you mention Parcells.

Especially since he kept pretty much the entire defensive coaching staff from the previous year.

Please try again.

THATHURMANATOR
01-09-2004, 05:49 PM

Are you kidding me?? You are right. If you dip under the 100,000 mark you might go broke!

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter

Just don't bet with Spaz :dink: , he'll weasel out of his bet. I don't even remember how many thousands of zone bucks he owes me. All I remember is he refused to pay his loss.

That's right that's all you remember forgetting that you have been paid a long time ago.

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Good idea, BillsFever...change of bet. I will bet you 5,000 ZBs that Jim Fassel gets the job, you gotta bet me 5,000 ZBs that __________ gets the job. Who do you choose?

From where i sit- The bet was Fassel gets the job- Yes or no-
And you already agreed to it. Weasling out of it after taking the bet?

The_Philster
01-09-2004, 06:34 PM
:D
Originally posted by Dozerdog
From where i sit- The bet was Fassel gets the job- Yes or no-
And you already agreed to it. Weasling out of it after taking the bet?

You're not surprised, are you?

Michael82
01-09-2004, 06:58 PM
**** you, BOTH!!! :madcurse:

I'm not weasling out. I just like that idea. Oh well! I'm going to stick with the original bet. I still feel that Fassel will get the job next week, as long as the Patriots win tomorrow. :D

BillsFever
01-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Umm our bet was that Fassel would be the coach. You can't change bets midstream after you notice you have no chance of winning.

I knew we wern't getting no high paid coach and that's why I'm sure Fassel won't be the coach. Thanks for the money.

BillsFever
01-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter

I've already came across a few people on the board who has weaseled out of their bets. I have about 7k owed to me from bets that people refuse to pay. It doesn't matter if I've sent emails or not they won't pay. These people know who they are.

Some people think they shouldn't have to pay just because I have a lot of zonebucks. That isn't the way it goes. A bet is a bet and you own up to it. I have all these zonebucks from making smart bets over the last 1.5 years. I'm always quick on the trigger when it comes to paying bets that I have lost on.

When you have a lot of zonebucks from good bets you just get labeled greedy anyway. The more zonebucks you have the greedier you are labeled. It doesn't matter if you have donated more then 5k to certain posters over the year and they haven't squeezed a dime out of their account. You're greedy because you have money.

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 08:18 PM

I've already came across a few people on the board who has weaseled out of their bets. I have about 7k owed to me from bets that people refuse to pay. It doesn't matter if I've sent emails or not they won't pay.

Some people think they shouldn't have to pay just because I have a lot of zonebucks. That isn't the way it goes. A bet is a bet and you own up to it. I have all these zonebucks from making smart bets over the last 1.5 years. I'm always quick on the trigger when it comes to paying bets that I have lost on. When you have a lot of zonebucks from good bets you just get labeled greedy anyway. The more zonebucks you have the greedier you are labeled. It doesn't matter if you have donated more then 5k to certain posters over the year and they haven't squeezed a dime out of their account. You're greedy because you have money.

It is not me this guy has hounded me for BS he has been paid.

BillsFever
01-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
It is not me this guy has hounded me for BS he has been paid.

My response has nothing to do with any bets you two have made. They have nothing to do with me. My response was the subject of his post and what has happened to me.

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 08:54 PM

My response has nothing to do with any bets you two have made. They have nothing to do with me. My response was the subject of his post and what has happened to me.

:doh: :up:

HAMMER
01-10-2004, 02:09 AM
You people aren't seriously squabbling over worthless cyber cash are you?

kgun12
01-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules

Funny you mention Parcells.

Especially since he kept pretty much the entire defensive coaching staff from the previous year.

Please try again.

I bet Parcells kept those coaches cause he wanted to not because he had to. I didn't say he didn't keep any coaches I said he wouldn't be told what to do! Read my post again. Then you "try again!