• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Coaching Search

I think this year its a matter of choosing who sucks the least. Its almost pathetic.

What do you guys think about bringing Levy in for 2-3 years? Maybe giving him a contarct with stipulations not blocking us into a corner. I just cant see this year just hiring one of these helmets just because we HAVE to.

With Falcons taking Mora, all thats left is us and Chicago. We can essentially sit back and relax for a few and sort of regroup. Its ridiculous to think that someone such as Gray or Mularky will be our HC.

Besides if we took Weis wed have to wait anyway, i guess i just dont see the rush, yes it would be nice to have them here and getting busy, but id rather wait and have a good season then rush and have another GW.

I would like to see Levy in for 2-3 years and then maybe hire someone his last season he can groom to take over. unconventional yes, but imo a smart move.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

oh and Oakland.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• caveboy
      • Oct 2003

Levy would bring instant respect. I can't believe Mora got a gig before we got a coach though!). Thing is, will Levy be able to fix Bledsoe. Any coach coming in better make that priority #1. With his great ability to side-step a sack, Bledsoe makes Jim Kelly look like Vick.
      "Your job is to protect your quarterback – me."

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

The key to Bledsoe will be hiring a QBs coach. Having our offensive coordinator double as the QBs coach has blown up in our faces the last few years. First with Henning-Collins and then with Gilbride-Bledsoe.
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I like your idea, Devin, but I think TD is afraid that Marv would somehow upstage him. I am increasingly convinced that TD is only interested in candidates that don't threaten him on any level.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• zone
            No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            I like your idea, Devin, but I think TD is afraid that Marv would somehow upstage him. I am increasingly convinced that TD is only interested in candidates that don't threaten him on any level.
            I agree because if this was not true the second Marv said he wanted in his HALL OF FAME ass should have been signed!

Marv said Bledsoe is the real deal. So he obviosly knows what he needs to do for him... can we say D-Gun

How about Jim Kelly for QB coach?
            www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              This "upstaging" theory is a bunch of crap. How about looking at facts?

1) Levy is almost an Octogenarian - it does nothing for the future of this franchise.

2- Levy's coaching skills (his X's and O's) were not the greatest in the world. He was badly outcoached 4 times in the Super bowl up against equal or inferior talent n the opposing sidelines with coaching being the major tipping of thre balance of power.

3- In his final 3-4 years when the talent diminished his lack of X's and O's showed. He was a perfect fit on the late 1980's early 1990's Blls team- he had the right temperment to keep all the bickering Bills together as a unit for a bunch of years.

But stop fooling yourselves- he doesn't have 5-6 future HoF players to bail him out this time. And to bring him back now would only serve to diminish his accomplishments and tarnish his HOF credentials.

My god- TD's two mistakes were - Bad Hire the first time for HC-, and in my mind the Bledsoe deal was a wash- he got him for nothing (not many peoiple would have gotten a #1 pick for Peerless).

This whining really erodes the level of smart football talk around here

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

I absolutely agree Dozer!

Comment

• zone
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                  This "upstaging" theory is a bunch of crap. How about looking at facts?

1) Levy is almost an Octogenarian - it does nothing for the future of this franchise.

2- Levy's coaching skills (his X's and O's) were not the greatest in the world. He was badly outcoached 4 times in the Super bowl up against equal or inferior talent n the opposing sidelines with coaching being the major tipping of thre balance of power.

3- In his final 3-4 years when the talent diminished his lack of X's and O's showed. He was a perfect fit on the late 1980's early 1990's Blls team- he had the right temperment to keep all the bickering Bills together as a unit for a bunch of years.

But stop fooling yourselves- he doesn't have 5-6 future HoF players to bail him out this time. And to bring him back now would only serve to diminish his accomplishments and tarnish his HOF credentials.

My god- TD's two mistakes were - Bad Hire the first time for HC-, and in my mind the Bledsoe deal was a wash- he got him for nothing (not many peoiple would have gotten a #1 pick for Peerless).

This whining really erodes the level of smart football talk around here
                  Your points are well taken, but we can sign Marv to a 2 or 3 year deal, and then get a coach for the furture. You really don't believe marv is a good coach? I usally regard your opions highly DD, but saying a hall of fame coach isn't going to help us? Yea we lost 4 but wouldn't it be nice if the road lead through b-low agian? Marv's Hurry up made 3 or 4 hall of fame canidates. He obviosly sees the potential in this team to make another run for a ring, and he is super hungry and that is what we need!
                  www.blzbus.com

Comment

• zone
                    • Oct 2003

Besides in the league today there is no such thing as long term anymore..... it's what have you done today!
                    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• zone
                      • Oct 2003

ohh yea and my grammer and spelling is the worst I have ever seen. Sorry guys...
                      www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Dozerdog
                        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by zone
                        Your points are well taken, but we can sign Marv to a 2 or 3 year deal, and then get a coach for the furture. You really don't believe marv is a good coach? I usally regard your opions highly DD, but saying a hall of fame coach isn't going to help us? Yea we lost 4 but wouldn't it be nice if the road lead through b-low agian? Marv's Hurry up made 3 or 4 hall of fame canidates. He obviosly sees the potential in this team to make another run for a ring, and he is super hungry and that is what we need!
                        Why would you want a coach for 2 -3 years? I want the next Marv Levy, a guy who is here for a dozen years, not a shell of the former Marv Levy.

Everyone wants this team to be the next 1990's dynasty Bills. The Salary cap may prevent it- but that's TD's specalty- keeping a team comnpeditive over the long haul and being Cap conscious.
                        Bringing in a 78 year old Levy is a huge detriment to that goal.

Comment

• zone
                          • Oct 2003

1997 6-10-0 4th -- AFC East
                          1996 10-6-0 2nd -- AFC East 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs
                          1995 10-6-0 1st -- AFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
                          1994 7-9-0 4th -- AFC East
                          1993 12-4-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
                          1992 11-5-0 2nd -- AFC East 3-1 - Lost Superbowl
                          1991 13-3-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
                          1990 13-3-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
                          1989 9-7-0 1st -- AFC East 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
                          1988 12-4-0 1st -- AFC East 1-1 - Lost Conference Championship 1987 7-8-0 4th -- AFC East

show me a better resume....
                          www.blzbus.com

Comment

• zone
                            • Oct 2003

so we take a chance on wies or fassel and maybee waste another 3 years. Then all the talent we have now is on the way out and we are back in a re-build? Is that what we want? If Marv says he can make it happen now, then why should we not let him try?
                            www.blzbus.com

Comment

• zone
                              • Oct 2003

You know what a coach like this does for your players, expecially the leaders on this team? He will turn Drew into the leader of the O like Kelly was, it will be the exact same. Don't you want to see that agian? Man I would do anything!
                              www.blzbus.com

Comment

Working...
                              X