PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Search

Devin
01-08-2004, 08:54 PM
I think this year its a matter of choosing who sucks the least. Its almost pathetic.

What do you guys think about bringing Levy in for 2-3 years? Maybe giving him a contarct with stipulations not blocking us into a corner. I just cant see this year just hiring one of these helmets just because we HAVE to.

With Falcons taking Mora, all thats left is us and Chicago. We can essentially sit back and relax for a few and sort of regroup. Its ridiculous to think that someone such as Gray or Mularky will be our HC.

Besides if we took Weis wed have to wait anyway, i guess i just dont see the rush, yes it would be nice to have them here and getting busy, but id rather wait and have a good season then rush and have another GW.

I would like to see Levy in for 2-3 years and then maybe hire someone his last season he can groom to take over. unconventional yes, but imo a smart move.

Devin
01-08-2004, 08:55 PM
oh and Oakland.

caveboy
01-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Levy would bring instant respect. I can't believe Mora got a gig before we got a coach though!). Thing is, will Levy be able to fix Bledsoe. Any coach coming in better make that priority #1. With his great ability to side-step a sack, Bledsoe makes Jim Kelly look like Vick.

The_Philster
01-09-2004, 04:47 AM
The key to Bledsoe will be hiring a QBs coach. Having our offensive coordinator double as the QBs coach has blown up in our faces the last few years. First with Henning-Collins and then with Gilbride-Bledsoe.

Jan Reimers
01-09-2004, 07:03 AM
I like your idea, Devin, but I think TD is afraid that Marv would somehow upstage him. I am increasingly convinced that TD is only interested in candidates that don't threaten him on any level.

zone
01-09-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I like your idea, Devin, but I think TD is afraid that Marv would somehow upstage him. I am increasingly convinced that TD is only interested in candidates that don't threaten him on any level.

I agree because if this was not true the second Marv said he wanted in his HALL OF FAME ass should have been signed!

Marv said Bledsoe is the real deal. So he obviosly knows what he needs to do for him... can we say D-Gun

How about Jim Kelly for QB coach?

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 07:16 AM

This "upstaging" theory is a bunch of crap. How about looking at facts?

1) Levy is almost an Octogenarian - it does nothing for the future of this franchise.

2- Levy's coaching skills (his X's and O's) were not the greatest in the world. He was badly outcoached 4 times in the Super bowl up against equal or inferior talent n the opposing sidelines with coaching being the major tipping of thre balance of power.

3- In his final 3-4 years when the talent diminished his lack of X's and O's showed. He was a perfect fit on the late 1980's early 1990's Blls team- he had the right temperment to keep all the bickering Bills together as a unit for a bunch of years.

But stop fooling yourselves- he doesn't have 5-6 future HoF players to bail him out this time. And to bring him back now would only serve to diminish his accomplishments and tarnish his HOF credentials.

My god- TD's two mistakes were - Bad Hire the first time for HC-, and in my mind the Bledsoe deal was a wash- he got him for nothing (not many peoiple would have gotten a #1 pick for Peerless).

This whining really erodes the level of smart football talk around here

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 07:19 AM
I absolutely agree Dozer!:up:

zone
01-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
This "upstaging" theory is a bunch of crap. How about looking at facts?

1) Levy is almost an Octogenarian - it does nothing for the future of this franchise.

2- Levy's coaching skills (his X's and O's) were not the greatest in the world. He was badly outcoached 4 times in the Super bowl up against equal or inferior talent n the opposing sidelines with coaching being the major tipping of thre balance of power.

3- In his final 3-4 years when the talent diminished his lack of X's and O's showed. He was a perfect fit on the late 1980's early 1990's Blls team- he had the right temperment to keep all the bickering Bills together as a unit for a bunch of years.

But stop fooling yourselves- he doesn't have 5-6 future HoF players to bail him out this time. And to bring him back now would only serve to diminish his accomplishments and tarnish his HOF credentials.

My god- TD's two mistakes were - Bad Hire the first time for HC-, and in my mind the Bledsoe deal was a wash- he got him for nothing (not many peoiple would have gotten a #1 pick for Peerless).

This whining really erodes the level of smart football talk around here

Your points are well taken, but we can sign Marv to a 2 or 3 year deal, and then get a coach for the furture. You really don't believe marv is a good coach? I usally regard your opions highly DD, but saying a hall of fame coach isn't going to help us? Yea we lost 4 but wouldn't it be nice if the road lead through b-low agian? Marv's Hurry up made 3 or 4 hall of fame canidates. He obviosly sees the potential in this team to make another run for a ring, and he is super hungry and that is what we need!

zone
01-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Besides in the league today there is no such thing as long term anymore..... it's what have you done today!

zone
01-09-2004, 07:24 AM
ohh yea and my grammer and spelling is the worst I have ever seen. Sorry guys...

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by zone
Your points are well taken, but we can sign Marv to a 2 or 3 year deal, and then get a coach for the furture. You really don't believe marv is a good coach? I usally regard your opions highly DD, but saying a hall of fame coach isn't going to help us? Yea we lost 4 but wouldn't it be nice if the road lead through b-low agian? Marv's Hurry up made 3 or 4 hall of fame canidates. He obviosly sees the potential in this team to make another run for a ring, and he is super hungry and that is what we need!

Why would you want a coach for 2 -3 years? I want the next Marv Levy, a guy who is here for a dozen years, not a shell of the former Marv Levy.

Everyone wants this team to be the next 1990's dynasty Bills. The Salary cap may prevent it- but that's TD's specalty- keeping a team comnpeditive over the long haul and being Cap conscious.
Bringing in a 78 year old Levy is a huge detriment to that goal.

zone
01-09-2004, 07:30 AM
1997 6-10-0 4th -- AFC East
1996 10-6-0 2nd -- AFC East 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs
1995 10-6-0 1st -- AFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
1994 7-9-0 4th -- AFC East
1993 12-4-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
1992 11-5-0 2nd -- AFC East 3-1 - Lost Superbowl
1991 13-3-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
1990 13-3-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
1989 9-7-0 1st -- AFC East 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
1988 12-4-0 1st -- AFC East 1-1 - Lost Conference Championship 1987 7-8-0 4th -- AFC East

show me a better resume....

zone
01-09-2004, 07:32 AM
so we take a chance on wies or fassel and maybee waste another 3 years. Then all the talent we have now is on the way out and we are back in a re-build? Is that what we want? If Marv says he can make it happen now, then why should we not let him try?

zone
01-09-2004, 07:33 AM
You know what a coach like this does for your players, expecially the leaders on this team? He will turn Drew into the leader of the O like Kelly was, it will be the exact same. Don't you want to see that agian? Man I would do anything!

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 07:39 AM
Trust me, I don't want Fassel either.

But at least with Fassell there is a chance it works out and he's around for 6-7 years. Even if Marv strings together a couple of decent seasons, we areback to doing this coach's search all over again in 2006.

It shows FA's we have no continuity, we will have a difficult time keeping decent assistants (who wants to work for a team that even if you do well, you still might be out with a new HC?)

What happends when Marv goes 6-10 next year? Are you ready to beat him up like GW?

Give the guy a consultan'ts job- team motivational speaker, get him involved with the team in the front office- but don't bring him back.

As far as the resume goes, I can dig up the corpse of Vince Lombardi or Tom Landery, or bring back Chuck Knoll or Don Shula out of retirement. But same thing- this is a different era of football.

DraftBoy
01-09-2004, 07:51 AM
100% agreement DD. Lots of people seem to be convinced that Marv will magically solve all our problems like Bledsoe. Things like that wont happen b.c of the HC but because of the OC and the posistional coach. Marv was great in his time which is now over. Dont tarnish a HOF record.

Devin
01-09-2004, 08:28 AM
I dont think we will go to the superbowl his first year, but do I think Marv is the best option of the 7? Its not even a thought, of course he is.

I dont know how anyone with a straight face could say hes 2nd to fassel or weis or any of them for that matter.

I didnt say he was the best choice for us, I think hes the best choice of what we have to choose from. And I truly believe he will do very well.

zone
01-09-2004, 08:29 AM
I guess I will have to agree to disagree.

Think if your boss brought in a motivational speaker who was 90... that's going to make you go the extra mile huh?

Marv is a hall of fame coach not a motivtional speaker....

Thinks the major problem with the Bills despite their great D was lack of turnovers. Hurt them big time.

Offensive woes due to O-Line injuries and injury to Moulds.

Thinks Drew Bledsoe is outstanding given the right protection.

Drew was NOT a mistake to pick up.

If the O is set up right, look for Drew to undergo a renaissance.

He wants to coach again!

He's in great shape. Great health. Runs 3 miles a day!

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Go check the Polls!:up:

Michael82
01-09-2004, 01:42 PM
I guess I will have to agree to disagree.

Think if your boss brought in a motivational speaker who was 90... that's going to make you go the extra mile huh?

Marv is a hall of fame coach not a motivtional speaker....

Thinks the major problem with the Bills despite their great D was lack of turnovers. Hurt them big time.

Offensive woes due to O-Line injuries and injury to Moulds.

Thinks Drew Bledsoe is outstanding given the right protection.

Drew was NOT a mistake to pick up.

If the O is set up right, look for Drew to undergo a renaissance.

He wants to coach again!

He's in great shape. Great health. Runs 3 miles a day!

He's 78 years old and could have a heart attack or die on the sidelines.

zone
01-09-2004, 01:54 PM
he runs 3 miles a day..... I think BP or CW is way more likely to die on the sidelines.....

helmetguy
01-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
He's 78 years old and could have a heart attack or die on the sidelines.

So can an excitable, slightly obese 40 year old.

socalfan
01-09-2004, 02:11 PM

I don't think upstaging is TDs problem with Marv. I think the real problem is that TD has only hired two HCs in his entire life. The first guy failed him and the second guy failed the Bills. I think he is just trying to be very cautious so that he doesn't strike out after 3 pitches.

It sounds like he is getting a big piece of the organization involved with the hire to ensure some success. Asking Modrak's and Wilson's opinions before hiring, making a list and checking it twice. I think he is putting himself under a lot of pressure just so that he won't make a mistake again.

madness
01-09-2004, 03:27 PM
he runs 3 miles a day..... I think BP or CW is way more likely to die on the sidelines.....

I don't care if he runs 10 miles a day. Especially since the job is in the public eye, I couldn't imagine the stress of being a head coach on that level.

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Is he going to be able run three mile a day and put in 12-18 hours a day?

zone
01-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
I don't think upstaging is TDs problem with Marv. I think the real problem is that TD has only hired two HCs in his entire life. The first guy failed him and the second guy failed the Bills. I think he is just trying to be very cautious so that he doesn't strike out after 3 pitches.

It sounds like he is getting a big piece of the organization involved with the hire to ensure some success. Asking Modrak's and Wilson's opinions before hiring, making a list and checking it twice. I think he is putting himself under a lot of pressure just so that he won't make a mistake again.

So how can you go wrong with a HOF he is the most quilified for the job.

Originally posted by madness23
I don't care if he runs 10 miles a day. Especially since the job is in the public eye, I couldn't imagine the stress of being a head coach on that level.

I think Marv knows....

Michael82
01-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
So can an excitable, slightly obese 40 year old.

That's why I don't know if Charlie Weis would make a good HC.

The_Philster
01-09-2004, 04:11 PM
How about Jim Kelly for QB coach?
Won't happen..AVP is someone I'd like to see thought of.

You know what a coach like this does for your players, expecially the leaders on this team? He will turn Drew into the leader of the O like Kelly was, it will be the exact same. Don't you want to see that agian? Man I would do anything!
There's no way anyone will ever be the leader Kelly was. Drew has been more of a leader in his past than he was this season but nowhere on par with Kelly's fire, bravado, and determination.

zone
01-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
There's no way anyone will ever be the leader Kelly was. Drew has been more of a leader in his past than he was this season but nowhere on par with Kelly's fire, bravado, and determination.

Who do you think coached Kelly to be that way!

Kelly had the confidence and leardership he did because Levy gave him total play calling control of the offense there was no question of who the man was on that offensive, when you coach has that kind of faith doesn't that do wonders for your confidence? and kelly still made plenty of mistakes but he did not have to worry because he was the man. Give drew that same option, and well he will do exactly what he did in th game in tennesse. Take us down field for the TD.

The_Philster
01-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Kelly had a lot of the fire his whole life.
Read Armed and Dangerous

Devin
01-09-2004, 04:32 PM
1997 6-10-0 4th -- AFC East
1996 10-6-0 2nd -- AFC East 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs
1995 10-6-0 1st -- AFC East 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
1994 7-9-0 4th -- AFC East
1993 12-4-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
1992 11-5-0 2nd -- AFC East 3-1 - Lost Superbowl
1991 13-3-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
1990 13-3-0 1st -- AFC East 2-1 - Lost Superbowl
1989 9-7-0 1st -- AFC East 0-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs
1988 12-4-0 1st -- AFC East 1-1 - Lost Conference Championship 1987 7-8-0 4th -- AFC East

show me a better resume....

hmmmmm thats ok but im sure fassel or weis would do much better, after all that is only 4 superbowls.

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Your going to have to get over it were not hiring Marv Levy, take it to the bank.

HenryRules
01-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Is he going to be able run three mile a day and put in 12-18 hours a day?

Running 3 miles takes about 20 minutes ... I think he can find the time.

socalfan
01-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Running 3 miles takes about 20 minutes ... I think he can find the time.

Not when you're 78!

madness
01-10-2004, 10:09 AM
I'd be really surprised to find a 78 year old who could run 3 miles in 20 minutes. If Marv could do that, I wouldn't be worried about him having a heart attack on the sidelines... I'd be worried about him having one while running!

Nighthawk
01-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Please, if you believe Levy would be a good HC...than your in a fantasy world! He's almost 80 years old and he wasn't that good when he was here! Yes, he took the Bills to 4 straight SB's, but who couldn't have coached that talent? Ok, maybe not GW...but you get my point. I like Marv, but not enough to bring him in here.

Devin
01-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Are you kidding? Look at his record, its not far fetched to think that he would do a good job. you mean to tell me one of these donkeys could out coach him? Id bet all my ZB's hed out coach any of them 7 years out of the game.

Remember i never said he was the best man for the job, just that at this point in the game imo hes the best option. He may be 78 but hes a young 78.

The Spaz, yes i know it wont happen would make to much sense...which is why TD wont do it. One can dream though.

The_Philster
01-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
Please, if you believe Levy would be a good HC...than your in a fantasy world! He's almost 80 years old and he wasn't that good when he was here! Yes, he took the Bills to 4 straight SB's, but who couldn't have coached that talent? Ok, maybe not GW...but you get my point. I like Marv, but not enough to bring him in here.
I don't think he'll be brought in but let's get honest. He did a heck of a job getting all those egos to work together towards a common goal year after year.
Kelly, Thurman, Andre, BRUCE, Conlan, Biscuit...we all know them as great players but they were also great egos.

zone
01-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Anyone who says he was not that good of a coach has head problems.

Devin
01-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Agreed!

helmetguy
01-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Dallas got instant credibility as a playoff contender the minute Parcells took over as HC. His record spoke for itself.

Washington is getting a lot of hype as a contender already, simply by hiring Gibbs. HIS record speaks for itself.

Wouldn't it follow, with a HALL OF FAME coach coming on board, that Buffalo would also be afforded the same consideration? Not to mention that we SHOULD have been close to the post season this past year.

Gunzlingr
01-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Devin
hmmmmm thats ok but im sure fassel or weis would do much better, after all that is only 4 superbowls.

How many victories, again, I forget? Giants have been to the superbowl under Fassel, and it wasnt a decade ago. I don't want Fassel or the Fossil. We need new blood that can bring something new and fresh to the table.

Nighthawk
01-11-2004, 12:38 AM
OK people, do us everybody forget what was said about Levy was here??? Let me refresh your memory...he was out-coached in every SB!!! How quickly some bad years can change peoples thoughts about the past.

The_Philster
01-11-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
OK people, do us everybody forget what was said about Levy was here??? Let me refresh your memory...he was out-coached in every SB!!! How quickly some bad years can change peoples thoughts about the past.

In the first one, we didn't know how to tackle. In the other three, we weren't as strong a team as our opposition.