PDA

View Full Version : Saban info and tidbits about future QB?

the dude
01-09-2004, 02:37 AM
prisco article
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6990062

I admit his credentials and recommendation from Parcells and favorable comparison to Bellicheck has convenced me he could be the next great NFL head coach, but check out what Pete Prisco says in a recent column:

Unless the Bears come off the hip for $4 million to $5 million per season, they should give up in their pursuit of LSU coach Nick Saban, who appears to be staying at LSU. Saban has told some close coaching friends that he plans to stay at LSU for three more seasons and then bolt to the NFL. With the new trend toward the older coach, that would be fine. Saban would be 56. "Nick just likes to go through the process of being courted," said one person who knows him. "That's just him." He went through the process enough last year that the Jaguars actually interviewed him, but they felt he was too much like Coughlin to hire him; they wanted to distance themselves from the curmudgeon coach. Saban, according to some who have worked with him, can be downright miserable. His treatment of Ravens director of player personnel Phil Savage when they worked together on the coaching staff in Cleveland bordered on cruel. Some who know that situation say Saban drove Savage into the personnel side, which might have been a good thing since Savage is a rising star there.

I'm no Prisco fan but jeez - more of an ass than Coughlin?!? Ouch babe.

The longer that NE stays in the playoffs (because I think TD has tapped Weiss for the position), the greater the chance someone like Saban or Ferentz may actually worm their way intoan interview - and then all bets are off.

Here's a tidbit about the Pitt QB and Prisco implies we think well of him:

For those draft junkies needing a fix, the scouts' take on the talent at the East-West game is that it isn't very good. Of the six quarterbacks on the two teams, Rod Rutherford of Pitt has been the most impressive. But he is erratic, and that's a concern. Some teams, including the Buffalo Bills, are said to like him. The other quarterbacks are Ohio State's Craig Krenzel, Tennessee's Casey Clausen, Colorado State's Bradlee Van Pelt, Wyoming's Casey Bramlet and Ryan Dinwiddie of Boise State.

frankly I don't se Rutherford being a first day pick so this may just be smoke thrown out by TD and his scouts. At the very least, though, it's nice to see they are not excluding mobile QBs from future plans ...