PDA

View Full Version : With the 13th Pick the Bills Select......

jron93
01-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Out of the University of Miami, Kellen Winslow

The hands and athleticism of a wide receiver in the body of a tight end...Wants to be great.Very football smart. Has the speed to stretch defenses and the ability to run after the catch better than almost all tight ends in the NFL. Has very good hands, making all the easy catches and most of the difficult ones. Has the potential to be in the Shockey-Gonzalez-Heap class of elite Tight Ends in the league. The locker room outburst and on field emotions may detur some teams, but it shouldn’t. Winslow has the look of a future Pro Bowler.

eyedog
01-09-2004, 08:02 AM
It would work for me. I hope he is still available.

ryven
01-09-2004, 08:07 AM
But lacks in the blocking dept.

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 08:42 AM
I'll reserve judgement until a new coach is hired.

I'd rather get Sean Taylor if he's available. I'm cooling off on Will Smith.

clumping platelets
01-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Kenechi Udeze :up:

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Kenechi Udeze :up:

Not at #13 though.:up:

R. Rich
01-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Not at #13 though.:up:

He's playing his way into that spot, Spaz. If he has a strong workout at the combine, he'll be a lock for the middle of the round.

But, here's what I hope to hear:

"The Washington Redskins have traded the 5th pick to the Buffalo Bills, who select SEAN TAYLOR, safety from the University of Miami."

clumping platelets
01-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I would give the Redskins Travis Henry and a 3rd rd pick for the #5 pick and Ledell Betts :)

At #5: S Sean Taylor
At #13: DE Kenechi Udeze

Pinch me :dizzy:

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 09:48 AM
I would give the Redskins Travis Henry and a 3rd rd pick for the #5 pick and Ledell Betts :)

Hmmmm.....

DraftBoy
01-09-2004, 09:58 AM

Id do it too!

clumping platelets
01-09-2004, 10:04 AM
:up:

We could use FA to fix holes on offense

R. Rich
01-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Wow. There's a lotta love here for Taylor. What's the consensus on what to do with the pick? Do most of you want to stay at 13? Trade up? Trade down?

My vote: see my post above.

eyedog
01-09-2004, 10:59 AM
That trade would be nice, but Wash isn't giving up the #5 pick of the draft for Henry. The only trade up I want is for Ben Roeth. If not then stay put.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-09-2004, 11:24 AM
1. Reggie Williams, WR, Washington
or
Ben Troupe, TE, Florida

OpIv37
01-09-2004, 12:04 PM

I wouldn't give up Henry until McGahee proves himself.

And regarding the blocking- it's obvious that whoever the new HC is will need to bring in an O-line coach. He could work with Winslow on the blocking. A good receiving tight end will help Drew dump off the ball.

TedMock
01-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Winslow is a better blocker than given credit for. He's a great receiver so people automatically think his blocking is suspect. It's really not bad. He does hold his own. He'll struggle against big DE's, though, since he's a little undersized.

TigerJ
01-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Ben Troupe, while he's much heavier than Winslow has not worked on blocking much and needs to improve greatly in that area.

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
1. Reggie Williams, WR, Washington
or
Ben Troupe, TE, Florida

Troue maybe in RD #2 or 3, but I'm not wasting a pick in a deep draft on a TE

BillsOwnAll
01-09-2004, 01:37 PM
the draft is overrated.....anyone can be GREAT in the college league and then suck in pros. and anyone can not be GREAT in college and do GREAT in pros.

i beilive joe montana was drafted in 8th round(if it wasnt him it was some ALL TIME great QB).

lots of GREAT poeple are picked up in the later rounds. i wouldnt trade Henry for any pick.(whoever said that). i would build around him.

ShadowHawk7
01-09-2004, 01:37 PM
A sucky O-line, a OC that is in luv w/ Bledsoe, rib cartilage tear, and a fracture, and Henry STILL racks up 1350. That's over 2700 in 2 years. And he's only 3 years into the league, and already has one pro bowl. Take away the negatives I said at the top and u have a 1500-1700 per year back. AND U WANT TO TRADE HIM?? For an unproven rookie?? (Taylor the exception) SUM of u guys reely don't know a good thing when u c one..

THATHURMANATOR
01-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I'll reserve judgement until a new coach is hired.

I'd rather get Sean Taylor if he's available. I'm cooling off on Will Smith.

Sean Taylor is going to be amazing. I wouldn't mind Winslow or troupe though.

Who cares about blocking. Campbell and Moore can block

dj7190
01-09-2004, 01:59 PM
I SAY KEEP TRAVIS GET RID OF DREW WHO WANTS A EX-PATRIOTS 2 WIN THE SUPERBOWL 4 THE BILLS.GET A NEW QB IN THE DRAFT & I AGREE ON WINSLOW WE NEED ANOTHER JAY REIMERSMA IN THE OFFENSE BUT WE NEED A QB DREW REALLY SUCK.THE MANY YEARS HE PLAYED HE WANTS 2 SUCK WITH BUFFALO GET RID OF HIM WASHED UP.

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 02:02 PM
If Jay could run or even catch like Winslow he would still be here.:snicker:

OpIv37
01-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by dj7190
I SAY KEEP TRAVIS GET RID OF DREW WHO WANTS A EX-PATRIOTS 2 WIN THE SUPERBOWL 4 THE BILLS.GET A NEW QB IN THE DRAFT & I AGREE ON WINSLOW WE NEED ANOTHER JAY REIMERSMA IN THE OFFENSE BUT WE NEED A QB DREW REALLY SUCK.THE MANY YEARS HE PLAYED HE WANTS 2 SUCK WITH BUFFALO GET RID OF HIM WASHED UP.

I've already said my piece about Drew so I'll let that go. But Reimersma is completely overrated. He got open and caught the ball then tripped over his own feet every friggin time. The man has to have the worst YAC in the history of the NFL. He was always one step away from a huge play when he'd fall flat on his ass. We need another McKellar or Metzalaars.

HAMMER
01-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Ryven,

Winslow is known as an excellent blocker, he is absolutely worth the 13th pick. Gives the offense a lot more options and creates mismatches all over the field. This is a no brainer if he is there. Do I know he will be a great TE, NO. Do you know anyone else we take at that spot will be great? NO.

OpIv37
01-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by HAMMER
Ryven,

Winslow is known as an excellent blocker, he is absolutely worth the 13th pick. Gives the offense a lot more options and creates mismatches all over the field. This is a no brainer if he is there. Do I know he will be a great TE, NO. Do you know anyone else we take at that spot will be great? NO.

Exactly- the draft is always a gamble. Examples- Clinton Portis and Ryan Lief. You take the best fit for your team that's available and hope it works out. Right now, the Bills need both better blocking and a big target. If Hammer is right and Winslow is a decent blocker, this helps us in two trouble spots.

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 02:45 PM
The son of Pro Football Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow Sr. has developed into the best tight end in college football. Winslow Jr., an early-declaring junior, has terrific height and has the room to add bulk. He isn't a great blocker, however and must get bigger and stronger.

Winslow will be the first tight end selected in '04 because he is by far the best "receiver" at the position. He has a quick release and great speed. He runs smooth routes and has exceptional hands. His instincts are remarkable for a young player. He can pluck the ball out of the air at full speed, catch it over his head and snag it in traffic. He is both a downfield and after-the-catch big-play threat.

Winslow has the potential -- even more so than the Chiefs' Tony Gonzalez and the Giants' Jeremy Shockey -- to be better than his father, who generally is considered to be the best tight end ever to play the game.

THATHURMANATOR
01-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I bet Winslow will be gone before we pick anyways.

ArcticWildMan
01-09-2004, 03:12 PM
If we can't work up a trade to get Sean Taylor, then Winslow would be a nice draft pick. :up:

THATHURMANATOR
01-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
If we can't work up a trade to get Sean Taylor, then Winslow would be a nice draft pick. :up:

agreed

R. Rich
01-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

True. Winslow is going to be a very good NFL tight end. I wouldn't be upset to end up with him.

But, I want to see us get Sean Taylor somehow. I'm not sure if I'd want to see Travis Henry as part of a trade up though.

Brian Griese Rulz
01-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Eli Manning.

DraftBoy
01-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Trade up for Taylor and if not take Winslow.

R. Rich
01-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Trade up for Taylor and if not take Winslow.

Yep. I hope that wouldn't be at the cost of Henry though. If both are gone, I'd like to see Kenechi Udeze or even Chris Gamble (depending on the Winfield situation) or a trade down.

The Spaz
01-14-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich

Yep. I hope that wouldn't be at the cost of Henry though. If both are gone, I'd like to see Kenechi Udeze or even Chris Gamble (depending on the Winfield situation) or a trade down.

Keep the corners Ohio State!:up:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-14-2004, 11:50 PM
A friend at work told me this. That if Malarkey was hired to become the coach of the Buffalo Bills and that he was that he told Donahoe that he would like to draft QB Ben Roethlisberger out of the univ. Miami/Ohio. Malarkey likes this kid and Donahoe did say we need a young QB for the future on Jim Brinson's radio show a few weeks back and that he would draft a QB in the 1st day in the draft So let's draft this QB.

R. Rich
01-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
A friend at work told me this. That if Malarkey was hired to become the coach of the Buffalo Bills and that he was that he told Donahoe that he would like to draft QB Ben Roethlisberger out of the univ. Miami/Ohio. Malarkey likes this kid and Donahoe did say we need a young QB for the future on Jim Brinson's radio show a few weeks back and that he would draft a QB in the 1st day in the draft So let's draft this QB.

We would need a higher pick than the 13th to get Big Ben. My guess is we would need to have the 2nd or 3rd pick to ensure that we got him.