PDA

View Full Version : Clayton: The Gibbs Effect...

Ickybaluky
01-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Per John Clayton of ESPN:

Joe Gibbs could force the hand of Bills general manager Tom Donahoe to make a decision about his head coach as early as Friday. On Thursday, Gibbs officially announced that Gregg Williams will be his defensive coordinator. Williams wants to bring his Bills defensive staff, but they are under contract. It puts Donahoe in a position to make a decision. If he hires an offensive coach such as Jim Fassel, Donahoe may try to convince him to keep the staff for the league's second-ranked defense. But if Donahoe hires a defensive coach such as Dick Jauron, Donahoe may have to let him bring his staff from Chicago, and if that happens, Donahoe can get off the hook for several hundred thousand dollars of contracts for defensive coaches by letting them go to the Redskins. Should Donahoe decide as early as Friday, it could favor Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey or Jauron. Donahoe can't talk to Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis until after the playoffs.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Come on TD! Hire Fassel TODAY (so I rack up huge on the Fassel Pool :D)!!!!!

Patrick76777
01-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Clayton's making this out to be way bigger then it is! Lebeau already was allowed to talk to the Steelers. I don't care about any of the assistants. TD's not going to rush into anything so he can keep Jerry Gray and Tim Krumrie!

Bulldog
01-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Why does TD have to rush into anything? Both Gray and Krumrie are still under contract with the Bills. Maybe Gibbs and Williams are going to have to "stay tuned" and see what direction the Bills decide to go in. I just don't see how Clayton thinks Gibbs is going to play any role in when and who the Bills decide to hire as their next head coach.

Patrick76777
01-09-2004, 09:57 AM
He's Reaching on this one!

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 10:12 AM
What I can'rt beleive is the Redskins are paying GW almost double his Bills salary to be the DC- and he's making $100,000 more than Monte Kiffin of TB- the highest paid DC in the league.

Snyder has money to burn

R. Rich
01-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Little help here: if the defensive staff were to go to the Skins, does that mean any type of compensatory draft picks for us, since they're still under contract?

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Not likely.

The NFL got fed up with the Parcells/Bellichick "tampering" wars between the Jets and Pats. So they put up rules not allowing clubs to seek assistants off of each other's rosters unless it's for a HC job or a coordinator's position. Any lateral moves aren't allowed. Only if it's a clear cut promotion.

The Bills hold the cards. They will only let go the assistants under contract if they have people to replace them. That's why Gillbride officially hasn't been fired yet. Ther eis no incentive to. Hell, if no one picks any of them up (like Gillbride) we still have to pay the contract.

The only reason to let them go at theis point would be to save the Million or two tied up in all their salaries. If that were the case, they would have encouraged them to go 2 Mondays ago. These guys aren't going anywhere until the Bills say so.

Ebenezer
01-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
What I can'rt beleive is the Redskins are paying GW almost double his Bills salary to be the DC- and he's making $100,000 more than Monte Kiffin of TB- the highest paid DC in the league.

Snyder has money to burn

I wish I that kind of cash to piss away.

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 10:58 AM
$28 Million invested with Gibbs, a Millions invested in a number of his ex-coaches- and he's still not done.

I bet when the smoke clears he will have 35-40 million invested in past and present coaches.

Patrick76777
01-09-2004, 11:03 AM
$28 Million invested with Gibbs, a Millions invested in a number of his ex-coaches- and he's still not done.

I bet when the smoke clears he will have 35-40 million invested in past and present coaches.

And he still won't win the Superbowl!

Bulldog
01-09-2004, 11:07 AM

That number may not be that high as Spurrier gave up his money when he quit. Still, the amount of money he has tied up in his coaches is crazy.

don137
01-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Since KG won't be hired anywhere after what he did this year in Buffalo and he is under contract I say they reassign his duties to cleaning the bathrooms after each home game

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
That number may not be that high as Spurrier gave up his money when he quit. Still, the amount of money he has tied up in his coaches is crazy.

None of it is Spurrier Money- he resigned.

He's still paying the balance of Norv Turner''s and Marty Schottenheimer's contracts . They are now coaching elswhere, but Snyder is making up the difference. Plus all the salaries of their staffs of those who aren't employed or making less than what they were in DC

Historian
01-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Makes you wonder how the little pissant accumulated all that wealth in the first place. He spends money faster than our Republican Congress!

zone
01-09-2004, 01:04 PM
lookes like Kearse will be a redskin next year, I hope none of our dudes will be leaving to play for GW any time soon.

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Explain how- they will need tons of cap space they currently just don' thave