PDA

View Full Version : How long will the rebuilding take this time?

rsmithgi
01-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Isn't this season eerily similar to 2000 season:

- Last in the AFC east
- swept by the Fins
- poor QB play
- poor offense
- good defense

Do you think that they will blow it up again?

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 10:52 AM
The only thing we need is a good HC a DE and tighten the ship on the o-line.

OpIv37
01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
The difference is that this time we're not in salary cap hell (assuming they either force Drew into a pay cut or get rid of him). I agree with Spaz- this is more of a tweaking effort than a major rebuilding. Expect some growing pains next year because of a new offensive system, but we should still be better than 03 and at least in the hunt for a playoff birth.

Historian
01-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Get the right HC (Fassel) at this point, and we are in the playoffs this coming season.

Hire the cheapest stiff available, and this could go on forever.

socalfan
01-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by rsmithgi
Isn't this season eerily similar to 2000 season:

- Last in the AFC east
- swept by the Fins
- poor QB play
- poor offense
- good defense

Do you think that they will blow it up again?

Tie breakers put us ahead of the Jets.

Michael82
01-09-2004, 02:44 PM
If we take Weis or another hot coordinator, then we have another free year for him to get used to coaching, and probably a 2 year rebuilding phase.

DW
01-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately, I fear that by the time this rebuild is done, Ralph will be dead and the team will have moved to another city.:sadwalk:

zone
01-09-2004, 04:22 PM
If we pick another bum it will take forever because after his 3 years are up our talent will be gone to other winning teams.

Jan Reimers
01-10-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
If we take Weis or another hot coordinator, then we have another free year for him to get used to coaching, and probably a 2 year rebuilding phase.

By that time, our D will be crumbling due to age and free agency. We need to rebuild the offense now, through the draft and free agency, and come out smokin' next season. Otherwise, we get into the situation of alternating good D with bad O and vice versa.

don137
01-10-2004, 07:12 AM
The Bills head coaching position is unique and not your prototypical opening...Usually when there is a HC vacancy the team sucks and does not have much of a foundation. This team has a very solid foundation both offensively and defensively.
Coaching/play calling really hurt the offense this year. One other thing that really hurt the offense was Eric moulds injury. Before his injury he could spread the defense and between his injury and the loss of Price there was no one to spread the defense at all.
With a good offensive coach and a couple of players I feel this team is poised t make a run next year.
I am not sure about Bledsoe and his bad year. I don't think Bledsoe and many of the players had any confidence in the KG system and it showed on the field.
Mcgahee will be special on third down next year because of his ability to run and catch so teams won't know what to expect. This year they were to predicatble.
Anything short of a divisional round playoff game will be a dissappointment...

BillsOwnAll
01-10-2004, 09:16 AM
All we need is a HC and an o-line....we'd be a 11-5 or 10-6 team. maybe better.

HenryRules
01-10-2004, 11:10 AM
I love this, we're really close ... we just need a really good HC and a couple of starters ... What team in the NFL cannot say that? And with more competitive teams having as much money to spend in FA this year, why would those missing guys come here?

The question that begs to be answered is, can Donahoe get the players and HC together. The more I think about it and look at his past performance, the more I think the answer is no.