• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kolbiss
    AJ FEELEY..WORST QB RATING IN ALL OF FOOTBALL!! 61.7
    • Dec 2003

Does Race help?

With the amount of Black athletes in sports, and there desire to see more black coaches, is it fair in saying that on team that is perdominatley black, they would play harder for a black coach???

Bring in Lovie!!!!!
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

No! Thsi will turn into a Twilight Zone thread so I'll just say No!

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

History also has their share of Black coaches who have failed. Ray Rhodes doesn't get his teams to play harder. Bellichick does. Nothing to do with skin color

Comment

• danny4804
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
        No! Thsi will turn into a Twilight Zone thread so I'll just say No!
        Im not trying to start something, but it seems the plaeyrs respond that way. Green,Lewis,Dungy,Lovie

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Idealistically, it shouldn't- the players should play their hearts out for that SB ring regardless of the coach's skin.

Realistically it might help- black players may be more eager to help a black coach succeed- I don't know. But the coach still has to be GOOD- if GW was black, it still wouldn't have provided enough motivation to save the Bills last year.

As far as Lovie Smith goes, I don't know enough about him to say whether he's good or not.

People pay too much attention to race. I just want a good coach- I don't care if his skin is purple.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Parcells, Belliceck,Gibbs,Levy, Reid....

Comment

• danny4804
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
              Idealistically, it shouldn't- the players should play their hearts out for that SB ring regardless of the coach's skin.

Realistically it might help- black players may be more eager to help a black coach succeed- I don't know. But the coach still has to be GOOD- if GW was black, it still wouldn't have provided enough motivation to save the Bills last year.

As far as Lovie Smith goes, I don't know enough about him to say whether he's good or not.

People pay too much attention to race. I just want a good coach- I don't care if his skin is purple.
              I agree, I want the best guy, and if that guy gets a even a tad more effort because a player likes playing for him, then that is the best guy!!!! Im not trying to start a race issue, I live in a very racist state, and don't have a rascist bone in my body, I am just staing what I think, I think it is the case some times.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Here is the biggest reason why there is a lack of Black head coaches-

College fundraising.

NCAA HC spend a lot of time recruiting and fundraising. That's why you have almost as many black Div 1-A HC's as there are in the NFL. And Div 1-A is 4 times larger. Colleges don't hire minority coaches because of a misconception they can't get the $$$f from the rich, older, wealthy alumni.

With no coaches getting HC experience, the NFL teams have fewer minority candidates to choose from. That leaves Minority OC's and DC's. Since only the best get HC interviews (I.E.- on teams going deep in the playoffs) they screw themselves out of jobs by their own success. Look now- 4 jobs filled really quick and not a minority OC or DC got the job. Green had to get 10 winning seasons and still took a year off- and he got the worst job.

Comment

• danny4804
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
                  Parcells, Belliceck,Gibbs,Levy, Reid....
                  All coaches with great reps. what if you are starting with 2 new guys with only reps as cordinators, and players want to see the black coach get a shot??

Comment

• danny4804
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    Here is the biggest reason why there is a lack of Black head coaches-

College fundraising.

NCAA HC spend a lot of time recruiting and fundraising. That's why you have almost as many black Div 1-A HC's as there are in the NFL. And Div 1-A is 4 times larger. Colleges don't hire minority coaches because of a misconception they can't get the $$$f from the rich, older, wealthy alumni.

With no coaches getting HC experience, the NFL teams have fewer minority candidates to choose from. That leaves Minority OC's and DC's. Since only the best get HC interviews (I.E.- on teams going deep in the playoffs) they screw themselves out of jobs by their own success. Look now- 4 jobs filled really quick and not a minority OC or DC got the job. Green had to get 10 winning seasons and still took a year off- and he got the worst job.
                    you sound like you wouldn't mind lovie

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Nonsense.

Comment

• danny4804
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                        Nonsense.
                        Again, I am not saying it is true, but does it seem that far fetched? The players wouldn't be wrong or racsist for doing so, they might just be more motivated. you have to at least speculate.

Comment

• R. Rich
                          • Apr 2003

Nope. Black coaches can get fired just as quickly as their white counterparts. For every Lovie Smith there's a Ray Sherman, who was ran out of Pittsburgh and now coaches for the Packers, or Ray Rhodes, who does okay at first, then has some trouble and ends up bouncing around the league.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                            • Jul 2002

I don't trust black coaches.

Comment

• danny4804
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by billsfanone
                              I don't trust black coaches.
                              How come?

Comment

Working...
                              X