PDA

View Full Version : Please make this not be true....Bills HC info

Michael82
01-09-2004, 03:28 PM
I just spotted this post on Two Bills Drive....

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20059

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
Vic Carucci is a guest on the Big O show on Boston's WEEI this afternoon. Just before they get into the Pats/Titans game, Glenn Ordway asks Vic what is up with the Bills search. Carucci says that the Fassell interview went "horrendously" bad! Ordway asks Vic to elaborate. Carucci says he can only speculate, but the issue revolved around money and the Bills current talent, namely Bledsoe.

Apparently the Bills are adament about not going over the million dollar mark for a head coach, even though the going price inthe NFL is $2-mill-plus. Carucci also said that TD is looking for a coach who does not want to change personel, the suggestion being that if the Bills players aren't good enough, then TD failed at that as well!

Fassell apparently laughed at whatthe Bills are offering for salary, and also upset Donahoe by telling him Bledsoe's a stiff!

This is the worst possble news. Not only are the Bills shopping for a HC at Wal-Mart, but TD only wants a guy who agrees to use the current roster, including Bledsoe! So much for letting the new coach decide, eh?

Michael82
01-09-2004, 03:32 PM
If this is true, then I expect to see Mike Mularkey or Charlie Weis brought as Head Coach for a few years at 900,000 a year and then if they are good, they would be gone for a bigger contract. :puke:

Kolbiss
01-09-2004, 03:35 PM
they haven't held back on money, why would they now?

zone
01-09-2004, 03:35 PM
That's a BS story....

No one else even wants fassel he should take 20k a year.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Just some bozo crying wolf. Disregard.

THATHURMANATOR
01-09-2004, 03:40 PM
I dont buy that story either.

TD publically stated that they are willing to pay a coach market price.

Historian
01-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Follow this team for thirty plus years, and you will see that this is the way they do business.

I expect no less from a team that is run by the book keeper in Detroit.

I've been saying it all along...its about bucks.

Michael82
01-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by danny4804
they haven't held back on money, why would they now?

He doesn't hold back on players because of the cap, but he has ALWAYS held back on coaches. You notice the last few times, we have not hired a big name, big buck coach? Wade Phillips? Gregg Williams and even before Marv Levy...they were never paid much here. yeah, Ralph will splurge on the players, because he has to, but there is no cap for the coaches, so why would he?

Michael82
01-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
Follow this team for thirty plus years, and you will see that this is the way they do business.

I expect no less from a team that is run by the book keeper in Detroit.

I've been saying it all along...its about bucks.

I agree! It's sad, but it's true. And has always been this way. We either hire within the team or get a young, cheap coach.

Michael82
01-09-2004, 03:56 PM
The Bledsoe thing makes sense too. And if Fassel doesn't want him, man, it's pretty bad.

OpIv37
01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Is it that they don't want to pay market price, or they don't want to pay market price for Fassel?

Maybe there's no credibility to this story, or maybe Fassel insulted Bledsoe first so TD insulted him back with a lousy offer.

JJamezz
01-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Uh, did ANY one actually hear this interview, or was it conducted personally for the one guy who says he heard it??

Carucci seems to be a stand up guy, and it would shock me if he actually said most of that, even if he thought it was factual.

Patrick76777
01-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Didn't this same team just back the Brinks truck up last season for a LB?

Maybe they just don't want to pay 2Mill for Fassell! They guy would be a good choice but it's not like he's Parcells or Gibbs! Not even close!

OpIv37
01-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Didn't this same team just back the Brinks truck up last season for a LB?

Maybe they just don't want to pay 2Mill for Fassell! They guy would be a good choice but it's not like he's Parcells or Gibbs! Not even close!

That's what I said!

SABURZFAN
01-09-2004, 06:20 PM
i'll have to talk with Biff Beeper to see if this is true.

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by JJamezz
Uh, did ANY one actually hear this interview, or was it conducted personally for the one guy who says he heard it??

Carucci seems to be a stand up guy, and it would shock me if he actually said most of that, even if he thought it was factual.

Damn- I listen to that show almost daily- and today I worked from home.....

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
i'll have to talk with Biff Beeper to see if this is true.

:rofl:

I'm very skeptical as well.

justasportsfan
01-09-2004, 06:32 PM
I think TD is pissed because Fassel wanted to fire Gilbride :yikes:

BillsFever
01-09-2004, 08:01 PM
If this is true then Donahoe needs to be shown the door. This isn't the kind of team I'm willing to dish out $800 on next year for season tickets again.

They are more interested in finding bargain basement coaches who will do whatever they say then to hire quality proven coaches. There is hundreds of millions of dollars invested in this team and Ralph is worried about another million or so a year for somebody who could guide this team to victory?

And the story about Fassel not wanting to be here because he thinks Bledsoe is a stiff and Donahoe not willing to budge on him to try and protect his own name doesn't sit right with me. So much for letting the coach decide what to do.

They don't wanna pay an extra million or so for a proven coach but it's ok for them to overpay Bledsoe by about 4 million a year.

The only coach we're gonna get is a 1st time coach who will kiss Donahoe's ass and keep whoever Donahoe wants even if he knows he is doomed with that player(s)

Bledsoe is a stiff and I don't blame Fassel for telling Donahoe to shove his slap in the face offer up his ass to be stuck with a loser QB that he knows he can't win with.

Donahoe makes about 2.5 or 3 million a year if I'm not mistaken. I don't think he wants to hire a coach who will be making as much or more then he does. His ego is getting in the way of our franchise improving.

shelby
01-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
I think TD is pissed because Fassel wanted to fire Gilbride :yikes:

Why the :angry: would TD want to keep Gilbride???
:huh:

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by shelby

Why the :angry: would TD want to keep Gilbride???
:huh:

I'm not worried. This can't even be concidered a possibility can it....:dizzy:

Ickybaluky
01-09-2004, 08:35 PM
I heard it. Carucci does the show fairly regularly during football season, when Fred Smerlas is a guest host.

It isn't quite what was presented. Carucci basically did say those things, but I don't think the above message gets the whole tone of things. I got the feeling he was presenting some general sentiment, not first-hand information he has learned. He did say that the Fassel interview went bad because of a wide gap in contract demands, and then said the Bills have never paid more than $1M to a HC. He did mention that Donohoe thinks a lot higher of Bledsoe and wants the coach to keep him.

However, I don't know if the tone of everything was quite what is presented in the message above. I don't know if Carucci came on quite that strongly, and I think it was more his version of events with some conjecture involved. He did sound frustrated, though.

On a sidenote, Reuben Brown was on the show later on (Smerlas got him on). He didn't really get too much into his situation, but spent most of the time discussing the Patriots and Titans as the Bills played both teams.

Two things he did say of interest to Bills fans:

1) It came across quite clearly that he doesn't like Gilbride very much. He wouldn't go into it, but they had a big-time personality clash.

2) He is adamant that he will be back in Buffalo next year. He said he doesn't want to play anywhere else and isn't trying to get Buffalo.

He also said he thought the Pats were much better than Tennessee and felt they would win the game easily. Of course, you guys might not care about that part.

The Natrix
01-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Fassel thinks Bledsoe's a stiff? I now want Fassel.

BillsFever
01-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

The bad thing is we won't get him or any other coach that doesn't agree to keep the tin man around.

The_Philster
01-09-2004, 08:48 PM
:D
Originally posted by The Natrix

Oh quit it, now you're just begging for votes in the Biggest Drew Bledsoe Basher poll :cynic:

The Natrix
01-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever

The bad thing is we won't get him or any other coach that doesn't agree to keep the tin man around.

:down:

This team is headed for disaster.

The Natrix
01-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
:D

Oh quit it, now you're just begging for votes in the Biggest Drew Bledsoe Basher poll :cynic:

Bledsoe sucks :boom:

BillsFever
01-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Bledsoe is a waste of space. Time to pull the plug on the old dog.

Dozerdog
01-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by NE39
I heard it. Carucci does the show fairly regularly during football season, when Fred Smerlas is a guest host.

It isn't quite what was presented. Carucci basically did say those things, but I don't think the above message gets the whole tone of things. I got the feeling he was presenting some general sentiment, not first-hand information he has learned. He did say that the Fassel interview went bad because of a wide gap in contract demands, and then said the Bills have never paid more than $1M to a HC. He did mention that Donohoe thinks a lot higher of Bledsoe and wants the coach to keep him.

However, I don't know if the tone of everything was quite what is presented in the message above. I don't know if Carucci came on quite that strongly, and I think it was more his version of events with some conjecture involved. He did sound frustrated, though.

On a sidenote, Reuben Brown was on the show later on (Smerlas got him on). He didn't really get too much into his situation, but spent most of the time discussing the Patriots and Titans as the Bills played both teams.

Two things he did say of interest to Bills fans:

1) It came across quite clearly that he doesn't like Gilbride very much. He wouldn't go into it, but they had a big-time personality clash.

2) He is adamant that he will be back in Buffalo next year. He said he doesn't want to play anywhere else and isn't trying to get Buffalo.

He also said he thought the Pats were much better than Tennessee and felt they would win the game easily. Of course, you guys might not care about that part.

Thanks, Man! That sounds a lot more like it.

Is it me, or is Pete Sheppard the biggest idiot on the air in new England?

caveboy
01-09-2004, 09:15 PM
"They are more interested in finding bargain basement coaches who will do whatever they say then to hire quality proven coaches."

Yeah, as Billsology points out, it's about the money regarding the coaching slot. They will think nothing of dropping huge dollars on QB's that have not done much elsewhere, yet give coordinators a shot at their first coaching gig for below-market value.

Speaking of QBs: last time we drafted a QB - Todd Collins mix – was the same year we drafted Reuben Brown - 1995. Since 1982, we have drafted only 5 QBs. (Jim Kelly being one of them). We are paying the price for Wilson and Co. not building the position. Hate to make this a QB gripe, but IMO this is the most important factor that any new coach will have to deal with. Another year with KG, Drew and yet one more newbie coordinator-turned-head coach will suck ass.

Ickybaluky
01-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Caveboy,

To be fair, was it really necessary to draft QB's much when they had Jim Kelly and Frank Reich year after year? I mean, I am sure they would have addressed it if they felt it a need, but it is hard to argue it was much of a need then.

As for Sheppard, it makes you wonder how he got the job. He knows nothing and really is just a clown for them to pick on.

Really, I wonder how these guys keep their jobs, let along get paid as much as they do. I flip between them and 1510 in the afternoon, and usually gravitate toward the other station after 3 p.m. They do more interviews and informational stuff. I can't stand the repetitiveness of Ordway's show. They beat topics to death, and are arrogant about stuff. They get rating, though.

caveboy
01-09-2004, 10:16 PM
"To be fair, was it really necessary to draft QB's much when they had Jim Kelly and Frank Reich year after year? "

You're right. That's exactly what I think is it at the heart of the QB problem. They got lulled into thinking they were ok as long as they had Kelly and ignored dealing with his successor. I look at teams that are/continue to be successful, and it seems like a common denominator is that they develop back-up QBs that eventually can take over.

I know the days of team dynasties are over, but Young (from TB) backed up Montana, then followed by Garcia. Brady behind Bledsoe, Collins behind Kelly, er, wait forget that one. Bolger backing up Warner. Pennington behind Testaverde.

Unless the Pill and Travis are hiding some unseen ability, we're stuck in the mud long-term if Drew goes down. We've tried to solve the QB position with FA's, and have given Doug, RJ and Drew too much time to get it together.

Drafting a rookie and giving him 3-4 years to develop is one thing. Bringing in a vet with 5+, 10+ years? They better be able to 'get it' a lot quicker. I think after two years if they don't, how much more time do they need?

Oh, I forgot – it's the line's fault.

;-)

Historian
01-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by caveboy
[B
They will think nothing of dropping huge dollars on QB's that have not done much elsewhere, yet give coordinators a shot at their first coaching gig for below-market value.

[/B]

Part of that stems from Wilson being part of the old AFL. He learned from Sonny Werblin and Joe Namath about the "Star System". We paid OJ 2 mil a year, while his linemen made 120K each. Kelly was, at one point, the highest paid player in all of football. I could go on and on.

I will grant you that this entire thread is speculation. All I'm saying, is that from a historical perspective, I've seen it before....

1. Saban quits after 1965 Title Game, Defensive Coordinator Collier takes over, wins the East the first year, (9-4-1) then goes 4-10 in 1967, and 0-2 in 1968 before getting canned.

2. Collier is canned after two games in 1968, Ralph promotes scout Harvey Johnson, Bills go 1-12-1.

3. After a 4-10 1969, and 1 3-10-1 1970, John Rauch publicly states his players aren't trying. Ralph defends the players, Rauch quits, Ralph again promotes scout Johnson, team goes 1-13 in 1971.

4. Five games into the 1976 season, Saban quits his second term. Ralph promotes Offensive Line Coach Jim Ringo. Bills lose their last nine, to finish 2-12, despite Simpson's 1800 yards. Ringo stays, Bills finish 1977 3-11.

5. Knox quits after the strike year of 1982. Ralph offers the Bills to Defensive Coordinator Tom Catlin, who turns him down. Ralph then gives job to QB Coach Kay Stevenson, who goes 8-8 in '83, with no semblence of a defense, then 2-14 in 1984. Starts out 1985 0-4 until replaced by Hank Bullough, Kay's Defensive Coordinator who finishes 2-14 for the year.

6. Despite the hot rumor Dick Vermeil is coming out of retirement to Coach Buffalo, Marv Levy is hired out of the broadcast booth (he covered the Bills Preseason games) despite a 31-42 overall record in KC. USFL folds, we get Kelly, Hull, Norwood, you know the story, but despite the fact that it worked out here, I still cite this as an example of going the cheap route.

7. Levy announces retirement after 1997. Be honest, who didn't think Wade was going to get the job???

8. Gregg Williams...let's not even go there.

Only three times has Ralph really gone outside the organization and done a thorough coaching search. The first was Rauch, which backfired. The second, was Knox, who had solid credentials and was a success, and the third was Gregg. The irony of this is that the one success, Knox, came at the expense of passing on another interviewee in 1978....Bill Walsh, then HC of Stanford U. My guess is that, after a only one playoff game in eleven years, Ralph wanted a proven NFL HC.

We're halfway there now. Last playoff appearance was five seasons ago. Last Division Title was nine years ago.

For me personally, its not that I'm impatient. I've just seen too much evidence to support the theory that Ralph really doesn't care enough, and I'm seriously starting to think..."Why should I?"