PDA

View Full Version : Facts all bills should know about the upcoming draft..

Bmax
01-09-2004, 06:49 PM
The buffalo bills got good news on the draft front today,but i doubt if most fans noticed. All-american Oklahoma DT Tommie Harris annouced he was entering the draft .

HARRIS IS CONSIDERED BY MOST NFL SCOUTS AS A TOP TOP TEN PICK. Yes the talent pool is increasing and pushing down quality talent for the bills at spot 13. Another key will be wr larry fitzgerald if he is allowed to come into the draft if he wants to leave he will be a top 5 pick and the 1st wr chosen.

Which may push down reggie williams a terrel owens-plaxcio burress type who abuses small dbs in coverage.

Now my first mock draft fo the year.

1.San diego-Eli Manning qb-could trade down with cards

2. Oak- Roy williams wr- alot of needs but rice and brown are almost a 100yrs old

3.Ariz-Ben rothesberger-could be a dt but i say denny will build with young qb- may want to trade up for manning ..

4.NYG-Robert gallery T-Iowa- tony boseli type- line stinks- could take andrews instead

5.Washington-Stephen Jackson-rb- oregon st -6-3 225- JOE GIBBS LOVES BIG RB'S

6.Detriot-kevin jones rb va tech 4.3 speed hard to ignore could go for kellen winslow- james stewart slowing down

7. Atlanta-Sean Taylor-s-230 4.3 -40 New coach mora needs d for worst def team in the nfl could go for dt team mate wilfork or harris of oklahoma

8. Clevland-Kellen winslow-they need def like lb but it's hard to pass up this guy who will be their best pass catcher since hall of famer ozzie newsome. Plus butch loves those miami guys.

9.Jax- Reggie williams- wr-Key point in the draft along with detroit if Larry fitzgerald comes out he could go tho the raiders at # 2
which in my opinon could drop roy williams to jax and reggie down to buffalo at 13.

10.Houston-Tommie harris - texans need a dt.. walker a free agent .

11. Pitt-S. andrews- ot -Ark-steelers need ol and cb but andrews the mammoth ot to good to pass up mike williams type will play rt or rg....

12. NYJ- DJ WILLIMAS-OLB MO LEWIS has retired jets could use a wr but unless reggie williams is available the jets will go lb run def needs a upgrade and the speedy williams gives herman edwards what he wants.

13.Bills-Will Smith- i know with all problems on offense why draft a de- smith id probably the best player on the board . 6-3-255-4.7-40 edge rusher who needs bulk up a bit. but right away he gives us speed on the corner which we haven't had since wiley. Of course if reggie williams slips then he would be the pick. trading down might be a better option the bills could trade down to 16-20 and pick up lee evans or rashun woods and a second round pick where they could get a qb and te .....

The upcoming weeks will tell if the wr most fans desire will be available when we pick at 13 ....

Remember drafting winslow or taylor would be great , but no way are they available at 13 .. Are only shot is to trade up and the only two players player i would trade up for in this draft are manning and fitzgerald.

Go Bills....

shelby
01-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Excellent post. Thanks for the insight.
:gobills:

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 08:12 PM
I like Will Smith but we already have a player like him on the other side in Schobel. I'm sure Smith is faster than Schobel but both are about equal in size and i just wonder how smart that will be keeping them both on the field together unless we plan on gettign rid of Schobel after next year. It will work next year having them both on the field during obvious passing situations but other than that I just don't know.:)

BillsOwnAll
01-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by shelby
Excellent post. Thanks for the insight.
:gobills:
damn.....i never got that kinda comment after my posts.

TigerJ
01-09-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm glad Tommie Harris made it official. I've been seeing mocks for a month that assumed he would opt for the draft.

I've seen listings for Smith of up to 6'4" and 260-265. We'll have to wait for the combine to see the actual numbers, but he did play at a heavier weight his senior year, 15-20 pounds over his junior playing weight. He's also said to be very strong, so he might be able to handle the LDE spot.

The Natrix
01-09-2004, 09:22 PM
I have a feeling Kelsay is going to bust out next season. DE isn't a huge need. The front four was getting good penetration the last few games.

WR or TE if Taylor isn't there.

caveboy
01-09-2004, 09:29 PM
"1.San diego-Eli Manning qb-could trade down with cards"

This totally pisses me off. SD has ABSOLUTELY sucked with its QB choices. What, do they get like a shot at a new QB every year? Leaf, Brees, (also traded away their pick for Vick). They should be banned from selecting the QB position for 10 years 'cuz they suck at it so bad. They have about as much luck with QBs as Carl Mauck had finding pants that fit.

But I'm not bitter.

As far as DE's go, I could see us grabbing one. We need the pass rush help. GW's 'speed package rush schemes' didn't seem to work too well.

;-]

The Spaz
01-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Strengths: Is well-built with a strong upper body. A smooth athlete; runs well for his size. Has great body control and excels at changing directions. Has terrific initial quickness and good closing burst. Shows great recognition and discipline. Reads and reacts. Doesn't overrun plays by getting too far upfield. Pursues the run well. Drops into coverage on occasion; would excel in a zone-blitz scheme. Power tackles with great hip explosion. Relentless, tough, physical and aggressive on the pass rush; has a nice variety of moves. Can either rush outside or double-move offensive tackles to work inside. Is durable, productive and reliable.

Weaknesses: Is a bit undersized. Needs to bulk up and get stronger in the lower body. Has some trouble holding his ground at the point of attack. Needs to improve at using his hands and develop better disengagement skills. Doesn't make enough plays coming off of blocks.

Bottom line: Smith has started for the Buckeyes since his sophomore season in 2001. He has played both the right and left sides. He lacks exceptional speed, but he shows great quickness, anticipation and burst as a pass rusher. He never stops hustling and is always around the ball, and combines that with amazing athleticism and instincts. Smith needs to put on about 10 more pounds, as he has the frame to do so. He has played above expectations in '03 and is emerging as a clear-cut top-15 prospect.
http://a68.g.akamai.net/f/68/895/3d/i.tsn.com/i/photos/20040107/53413.jpg
<B>Will Smith</B>

ShadowHawk7
01-09-2004, 10:12 PM
seriously, the D-line is not as bad as u think. 9th in sacks for the year. That's reely good. Mebe its not a line that will force bad throws, but a FA like Hicks can fix that.

Bmax
01-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Yeah your right ...if they are smart they will take manning and build from there...Flutie could stick around and thwey could trade brees. Aj smith is the gm i wonder what he will do if he learned anything from the late john butler he will take manning ....

Bmax...

Oh by the way i like josh harris or cody pickett in round 2 or 3 and kris wilson the te from pitt in round 3- or 4

The bills i have read are one of the teams that interested in pitt qb rod rutherford the left handed passer who threw 28 td passes this season..

Jan Reimers
01-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Good post, Bmax. I like Udeze better at DE if we go that route, but I think we take a top WR like Rashaun Woods. We need serious offensive help.