• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Throne Logic
    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
    • Aug 2002

Check out Weis' bio

I realize this has the blown-up positive twist 'cuz it's coming from the Pat's site. However, check out the amount of success he has been, at the very least, associated with. Now, some of these accomplishments would have happened regardless of who coached at the time, but Charlie's influence certainly was not a bad one.

More than likely, he has been doing something right along the way.

Not only has he been involved with success, most of it has been in the AFC East. That's big, folks.

Still searching for that offensive rhythm.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

I'm beginning to like him more and more. He seems to design his offensive systems around his players, vs. force fitting them into some preconceived notion ala KG.

Plus, he's fatter than I am.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• John Doe
      Florida Man
      • Jul 2002

Weis began his professional coaching career with the New York Giants in 1990. After working in the Giants pro personnel department in 1989, Weis was named defensive assistant and assistant special teams coach.
      That's the part I like - he has experience at all phases of the game.

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

He is definately my choice after Ferentz...Ferentz could make Pucillo into a pro bowler...OK, may that is a reach...

Comment

• Billsouth
          • Jul 2002

ferentz has nothing on weiss. ask spurrier how much different the nfl is from college. why u r at it ask dennis erickson, butch davis, etc.
          "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Billsouth
            ferentz has nothing on weiss. ask spurrier how much different the nfl is from college. why u r at it ask dennis erickson, butch davis, etc.
            To stereotype college head coaches and say they would not make a good head coach in the NFL is foolish. To say a defensive or offensive coordinator won't be successful is also ignorant. There is a level of uncertainty with hiring both types because they both will be doing things they never done before so there is no guarantees hiring either.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Spurrrier's only pro experience prior to the Redskins was the USFL and before that, Tampa Bay's QB in their inagural season (when they set a modern NFL record for fewest passing TDs in a season-3)

Ferentz was an OL coach in the NFL - he knows the ropes. Spurrier was not very flexible and ill suited for the pro's- you can;t just toss out the creem of the crop in talent and steamroll everyone.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

I heard a story from Peter King (I beleive) that summed up Spurrier. They brought in Tim Hassleback mid-season because of the Ramsey Injury and the dumping of RJ.

Hassleback was spending the first week glued to the tape machines trying to learn the offense because he addmitted he had no idea what the offense was.Spurrier comes in AND THROWS HIM OUT! "Hey kid- you are working to hard- go home and relax......"

Hassleback was amazed and stunned. Spurrier just could not grasp the work involved in the pro's.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                  Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                  • Aug 2002

Uh, for all of you opposed to hiring a college head coach or an NFL Offensive or Defensive Coordinator: Where, exactly do you think that the current head coaches on every one of the NFL teams came from, originally?

We either have to hire a college coach, a coordinator, or a re-hashed head coach. Unless you can coax a HOF'er out of retirement (Marv is a bit too old, sorry) those are pretty much the options.

If I were TD, I'd go for a coordinator who has all kinds of varying experience throughout the NFL, especially if that was successful experience.

Now, TD did this with Gregg and wasn't successful. So what? Gregg was a product of the Oiler / Titan franchise. Although they've been moderately successful, the are most known for their collapses. Warren Moon saw a number of early exits from the playoffs, one of which I'm sure you all remember. Gilbride was another one from that crowd working under Jack Pardee.

Charlie Weis is a product of the Bill Parcells / Bill Belichick school of getting things done. You may not like one Bill or the other, but you cannot argue with their success. Charlie's pretty much been there for most of it. Yeah, he may turn out to be an ineffective Head Coach, but no one is a sure thing. Charlie's upside is just too damn promising. The more I think of this, the more I think I'm going to be ill if we go with Jauron or Fassell over Weis.
                  Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

He sounds pretty good. I'd certainly rather have Weiss than Mularkey or Jauron.

One thing in his bio that I noticed is that he has a Master's Degee in Eucation. That's proof that he's probably not only a good teacher, but also fairly intellectual. I'm sure that the majority of the players and coaches out there don't bother to persue a masters. Heck, many don't even finish undergrad.

Comment

Working...
                    X