PDA

View Full Version : I've changed my mind!!!

Nighthawk
01-10-2004, 11:10 AM
After looking at his past experience with offenses and how he has turned them around, I trully believe that this guy may be the diamond in the rough that we are looking for. I have been arguing that we should get an experienced HC (no, not Jauron...he's an idiot) and that maybe Donahoe missed the ball on some candidates. However, after reading his bio (thanks, throne!) I really believe this guy is worth waiting for. Now everybody needs to pray that the Patriots lose today, so we can get this guy under contract ASAP!

london59
01-10-2004, 11:14 AM
I agree! I think Weis is our guy.

lordofgun
01-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
After looking at his past experience with offenses and how he has turned them around, I trully believe that this guy may be the diamond in the rough that we are looking for. I have been arguing that we should get an experienced HC (no, not Jauron...he's an idiot) and that maybe Donahoe missed the ball on some candidates. However, after reading his bio (thanks, throne!) I really believe this guy is worth waiting for. Now everybody needs to pray that the Patriots lose today, so we can get this guy under contract ASAP!

I knew you'd come around! :D

baalworship
01-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Fassel is a better choice if you want to assure yourself of mediocrity. As bad as the Bills have been, I wouldn't be much happier with the Dolphins of recent years. Our goal should be to find a coach that can WIN the Superbowl.

Weis has a much higher upside than a Fassel, Jauron, or Haslett. Could he flop? Sure. But these are the qualities that excite me:

1. Great football mind on the offensive side of the ball. If both Parcells AND Belichick wanted him as offensive coordinator you better believe he knows what he is doing.

2.He has won 2 Superbowls with 2 different head coaches. He has consulted and called plays side-by-side with Parcells and Belichick. He knows how great football coaches act AND think. In my opinion, the years with Belichick are even more important than Parcells. The reason is that Belichick is more scientific and systematic in how he does things. His methods are more easily transferred. For proof, look at how Belichick's assistants from the Cleveland Brown days are doing now as head coaches:

Kirk Ferentz: AP's coach of the year in NCAA football. He hasn't done bad in 2003 as well. For those who watched the Outback Bowl, you know what Ferentz can do.

Nick Saban: Hottest college coaching prospect. Served as Belichick's defensive coordinator in Cleveland before winning the BCS National Championship this year with LSU.

Pat Hill: Head coach at Fresno State. Has gotten Bulldogs into several Bowl games. In 2001 he guided Fresno State to a top 10 ranking with wins over Wisconsin, Colorado, and Oregon State.

3. Personality: Has good communication skills and was thought by college classmates as a guy that would be in Public Relations. Should have no problems dealing with the Buffalo media.

4. Excitement: This is a guy that WANTS to be the head guy so bad he almost died twice after getting a risky surgery done. He has since lost 100 lbs and probably has a bunch of ideas that he can now implement that he couldn't while under Parcells and Belichick's shadow. I am eager to see what he can do.

lordofgun
01-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
Fassel is a better choice if you want to assure yourself of mediocrity. As bad as the Bills have been, I wouldn't be much happier with the Dolphins of recent years. Our goal should be to find a coach that can WIN the Superbowl.

Weis has a much higher upside than a Fassel, Jauron, or Haslett. Could he flop? Sure. But these are the qualities that excite me:

1. Great football mind on the offensive side of the ball. If both Parcells AND Belichick wanted him as offensive coordinator you better believe he knows what he is doing.

2.He has won 2 Superbowls with 2 different head coaches. He has consulted and called plays side-by-side with Parcells and Belichick. He knows how great football coaches act AND think. In my opinion, the years with Belichick are even more important than Parcells. The reason is that Belichick is more scientific and systematic in how he does things. His methods are more easily transferred. For proof, look at how Belichick's assistants from the Cleveland Brown days are doing now as head coaches:

Kirk Ferentz: AP's coach of the year in NCAA football. He hasn't done bad in 2003 as well. For those who watched the Outback Bowl, you know what Ferentz can do.

Nick Saban: Hottest college coaching prospect. Served as Belichick's defensive coordinator in Cleveland before winning the BCS National Championship this year with LSU.

Pat Hill: Head coach at Fresno State. Has gotten Bulldogs into several Bowl games. In 2001 he guided Fresno State to a top 10 ranking with wins over Wisconsin, Colorado, and Oregon State.

3. Personality: Has good communication skills and was thought by college classmates as a guy that would be in Public Relations. Should have no problems dealing with the Buffalo media.

4. Excitement: This is a guy that WANTS to be the head guy so bad he almost died twice after getting a risky surgery done. He has since lost 100 lbs and probably has a bunch of ideas that he can now implement that he couldn't while under Parcells and Belichick's shadow. I am eager to see what he can do.

Post of the day. Good stuff.

JJamezz
01-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Agreed, great post Baal.

As an aside, and not something I'd necessarily weigh too heavily in the decision, is the fact that we'd be removing a key cog in Belichick machine and undoubtedly weakening the strongest team in our division, possibly the AFC & NFL.

Again, that's no reason to hire a guy, but its a great side effect given all of his other qualities.

baalworship
01-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks LOG and JJamezz. I just hope Bills fans give this guy a chance and are excited if TD picks him. There has been all these conspiracy theories about Tom Donahoe picking the cheapest guy which I don't buy into.

Let's just hope that Tom Modrak provides good input and that we get the coach that can take this pretty talented team to the next level.

BTW, I can't wait for the Bills 2004 Charlie Weis themed wallpaper, JJamezz! Maybe you can show all the Bills offensive stars surrounding Weis wearing his headset...

Michael82
01-10-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm on the Charlie Weis bandwagon. I've come to the conclusion that we are not going to sign Jim Fassel and I read the bio of Weis and it is very good. :up:

The_Philster
01-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
I'm on the Charlie Weis bandwagon. I've come to the conclusion that we are not going to sign Jim Fassel and I read the bio of Weis and it is very good. :up:

uh-oh...now the rest of us have to start rooting for Fassel to get the job

BillsFever
01-10-2004, 04:03 PM
That's who I think we're hiring. If Donahoe didn't plan on hiring him then we would have a coach by now.

I'm not too optimistic with Weis and Bledsoe though. Weis couldn't do anything with Bledsoe in New England but Brady starred under him. I think it's more of Bledsoe's fault though because he couldn't succeed under any coach.

We'll all be excited before the season to have Weis but by the end of the year he will be the scapegoat for Drew's play just like Williams was.

Michael82
01-10-2004, 04:20 PM
I actually wouldnt be upset with Lovie Smith either. :D

Michael82
01-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
That's who I think we're hiring. If Donahoe didn't plan on hiring him then we would have a coach by now.

I'm not too optimistic with Weis and Bledsoe though. Weis couldn't do anything with Bledsoe in New England but Brady starred under him. I think it's more of Bledsoe's fault though because he couldn't succeed under any coach.

We'll all be excited before the season to have Weis but by the end of the year he will be the scapegoat for Drew's play just like Williams was.

I agree! That's why I wonder if Weis told Donahoe he doesnt want Bledsoe here.

BillsFever
01-10-2004, 04:25 PM
I agree! That's why I wonder if Weis told Donahoe he doesnt want Bledsoe here.

They didn't want him in New England I don't see why 2 years and 1.5 as sucky as it can get seasons later he would change his mind.

When you want a head coaching job you will agree to anything though. That's why Donahoe keeps hiring all these guys who will kiss his ass to get their first shot.

Throne Logic
01-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Wasn't Weis' first season as the Pat's OC the same that Bledoe went out after two games, never to return as Brady stepped in.

In this case, we can't really tell what Charlie could have done with Drew.

Throne Logic
01-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Nope, I was wrong. He had one full year as the OC before the infamous Brady take-over year. He assumed QB Coach responsibilities the year of Brady.

BillsFever
01-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Wasn't Weis' first season as the Pat's OC the same that Bledoe went out after two games, never to return as Brady stepped in.

In this case, we can't really tell what Charlie could have done with Drew.

Even if he was, Drew lost more games in 3 weeks with Weis then an unknown QB like Brady did the rest of the year.

Drew just sucks. There isn't anybody that can save his career except for him. He doesn't have the passion or leadership it takes to be an NFL QB. It's just a job and a paycheck to him.

Throne Logic
01-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, assuming Drew stays, we couldn't ask for a better coach to work with him. Weis knows all about Drew's strengths and weaknesses. If Weis is as bright as he seems to be, he might be able to devise an offense that Drew would fit into. If he can't, I'm not too sure who could.

shelby
01-10-2004, 05:10 PM
From what i saw on the Fox Pregame show, the consensus is that Weis is the frontrunning candidate in Buffalo.
:up:
They just reported at halftime that Saban is staying at LSU.

i'll go link searching.....:nerd2:

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by shelby
From what i saw on the Fox Pregame show, the consensus is that Weis is the frontrunning candidate in Buffalo.

well, who knows then? So far, none of the media has been right with ANY of the Head Coaches this year. :snicker: It's all a big guessing game. I could see TD getting a little nervous if the Patriots win tonight because he will have to keep waiting.

The Spaz
01-10-2004, 05:29 PM

well, who knows then? So far, none of the media has been right with ANY of the Head Coaches this year. :snicker: It's all a big guessing game. I could see TD getting a little nervous if the Patriots win tonight because he will have to keep waiting.

You do know that TD is in the :fattony: don't you?:insane: :snicker:

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
If Weis is as bright as he seems to be, he might be able to devise an offense that Drew would fit into. If he can't, I'm not too sure who could.

Why couldn't Weis do this in 2000? :scratch:

I don't know why Weis would be a good choice here IF Bledsoe stays. He had no success with him the first time, maybe he could succeed the 2nd time? :shakeno: If we get Weis, I hope we trade Bledsoe for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and then sign AJ Feely and draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round.

shelby
01-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by shelby

Found the link.

here ya go (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1705218)

BuffaloSkyMaster
01-10-2004, 06:36 PM
I agree about Weis and drafting a QB in the first round to eventually replace Drew, but he will probably restructure his contract and stay. But with Henry and McGahee and some new o-linemen, it should free up Drew to improve from last season.
Then the newly drafted QB can take over the season after.

Michael82
01-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Restructure? No! He should renegotiate or take a paycut. Restructure would hurt the cap in the long run.

Dozerdog
01-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Here's a novel idea-

Hire a coach- let him decide what he's going to do!

Neat idea, huh?

The Spaz
01-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Here's a novel idea-

Neat idea, huh?

helmetguy
01-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Here's a novel idea-

Neat idea, huh?

You're wise beyond your years, Bun-Bun!