PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Weis should = Goodbye Bledsoe!

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:21 PM
I have just been looking at a few things and I have come to the conclusion that Weis with Bledsoe is a disaster. He already proved that he wouldn't work with him once, in New England and even helped with the decision to trade Drew Bledsoe once. However, he's on Donahoe's list because he will come cheap and has done a lot for the Patriots. What did he do with Bledsoe? Nothing! The team was 5-13 when Bledsoe and Weis were paired up and Bledsoe's numbers were mediocre. Weis wants a job, so do you really think that he'll tell Donahoe to get rid of Drew Bledsoe? No! I think he'll be forced to hang onto Bledsoe as long as TD tells him to. So, yeah, Charlie Weis might make a great head coach here, but you gotta dump Bledsoe and get another Tom Brady for our team.

The Spaz
01-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Manning, "Big Ben", Rivers, Losman!:up:

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:23 PM
The question is....would he stand up to TD and get rid of Bledsoe? Or would he be TD's new whipping boy and have Bledsoe as the starter and we have to suffer another year of mediocrity. The other thing that worries me...When you get a new head coach, you never expect to go to the Super Bowl the first year. If you have an inexperienced HC, he learns on the job and will get better thru the year. So, our expectations better not be too high if he is our HC this year.

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Manning, "Big Ben", Rivers, Losman!:up:

I agree! If Weis is the Bills Head Coach, we will be drafting a QB in the first or 2nd round and I could even see us grabbing an AJ Feely or someone else in FA.

BillsFever
01-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Another last place finish for us next year.

Although Weis won't want Bledsoe he will agree to keep him so he can get his first shot as a HC.

I'm not looking foward to next season.

The Spaz
01-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Well as was mentioned before I think Weis ill play to Bledsoes strenghts more so that KG. Although I'm having trouble thinking of Bledsoes strengts at the moment to much :beer:!

BillsFever
01-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Well as was mentioned before I think Weis ill play to Bledsoes strenghts more so that KG. Although I'm having trouble thinking of Bledsoes strengts at the moment to much :beer:!

He has a strong arm and he's a good father.

Good luck playing to these strengths.

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
Another last place finish for us next year.

Although Weis won't want Bledsoe he will agree to keep him so he can get his first shot as a HC.

I totally agree! Except we weren't last place this year. Weis would NOT stand up to Donahoe about Bledsoe and Ralph if he wants the job, he will just choke on pride. If we are planning to keep Drew Bledsoe, I really would rather see Jim Fassel and see what he can do with him, but I don't know. Weis has already showed what he could do with him and he did nothing, except make him from being crap to mediocre.

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Weis' offense is built for someone who can dump off passes and make quick decisions. Bledsoe is NOT that. The dink and dunk offense would NOT work here.

BillsFever
01-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
I totally agree! Except we weren't last place this year. .

Big deal we both finished 6-10 but we won the tiebreaker. I consider it tied for last.

The_Philster
01-10-2004, 05:33 PM
I'm not willing to just assume that the past history they had together is a clear indicator for the future. It's possible that Bledsoe simply didn't mesh with the QB coach Dick Rehbein. Maybe with a good QB coach, something he hasn't had in Buffalo, he can turn it around. It's unlikely he's leaving so I'm hoping that's the case.

The_Philster
01-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Weis' offense is built for someone who can dump off passes and make quick decisions. Bledsoe is NOT that. The dink and dunk offense would NOT work here.

If Weis is a decent coach, he or his offensive coordinator will construct the offense around the strengths of the players we have here..something Gilbride seemed to do early last season but failed to do this season. Where was the power running game that we were promised and our offensive personnel dictated? :idunno:

BillsFever
01-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Weis' offense is built for someone who can dump off passes and make quick decisions. Bledsoe is NOT that.

He isn't even anything.

I don't think there is an offense for Drew Bledsoe. How many different offenses does he need before everybody wakes up to the fact his time is done in the NFL? Hell, Gilbride's offense was his favorite offense ever :snicker:

BillsFever
01-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I'm not willing to just assume that the past history they had together is a clear indicator for the future. It's possible that Bledsoe simply didn't mesh with the QB coach Dick Rehbein. Maybe with a good QB coach, something he hasn't had in Buffalo, he can turn it around. It's unlikely he's leaving so I'm hoping that's the case.

Christ now we're blaming the QB coaches on the reason why Drew Bledsoe sucks? Blaming QB coaches on a 11 year vet? Don't you think a 31 year old QB who was a #1 pick has had enough hands on coaching over his career?

Ryan Leaf didn't suck. He just didn't have the right QB coach.

Drew Bledsoe knows what he needs to do on the field. The problem is he can't do it. It's sad but it's true.

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:42 PM

Actually, Rehbein was the QB coach in 2000 and then died in summer of 2001. Weis was the QB coach in the 2001 year and Bledsoe was 40/66 for 400 yards, 2 TDs and 2 INTs in those 2 games and was 0-2.

The_Philster
01-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Christ now we're blaming the QB coaches on the reason why Drew Bledsoe sucks? Blaming QB coaches on a 11 year vet? Don't you think a 31 year old QB who was a #1 pick has had enough hands on coaching over his career?

Ryan Leaf didn't suck. He just didn't have the right QB coach.

Drew Bledsoe knows what he needs to do on the field. The problem is he can't do it. It's sad but it's true.
I merely speculated on whether that could have had an impact on his play. Just because I'm not blaming him for everything that's ever gone wrong in the world means I'm absolving him from blame. :rolleyes:

The_Philster
01-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Actually, Rehbein was the QB coach in 2000 and then died in summer of 2001. Weis was the QB coach in the 2001 year and Bledsoe was 40/66 for 400 yards, 2 TDs and 2 INTs in those 2 games and was 0-2.
On those 2 interceptions, what were the exact circumstances of the plays? Were the correct routes run, was the ball tipped, or was Drew simply making a bad decision with the ball? A lot goes into every play and stats don't tell you squat. As far as wins-losses, there are 46 players suited up for the game per team and they all have to do their jobs...not just the QB.

zone
01-10-2004, 05:53 PM
On those 2 interceptions, what were the exact circumstances of the plays? Were the correct routes run, was the ball tipped, or was Drew simply making a bad decision with the ball? A lot goes into every play and stats don't tell you squat. As far as wins-losses, there are 46 players suited up for the game per team and they all have to do their jobs...not just the QB.

At least someone around here understands this. Great post!

Dozerdog
01-10-2004, 05:58 PM
I have just been looking at a few things and I have come to the conclusion that Weis with Bledsoe is a disaster.

Allright! Weis will put Drew back in the pro bowl! It's a lead pipe lock now!:up:

Seriously, people. If TD wanted to hire a yes man, a robot he could control and program into keeping Bledsoe at all costs, why are we still looking for a coach? Just promote Gillbride, or Gray, Mularkey, or some other guy.

Why would Weis, probably oneof the hottest coordinators out there and a shoe in for a job either this year or next- take a job where he has zero say?

You guys watch way too much X-Files - all these ridiculous conspiracy theories based solely on clouded emotions instead of any of it based in facts. It really makes it hard to take some of these opinions seriously.

justasportsfan
01-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Even I can figure out how to use Drews strengths to win games. Run the ball.

The_Philster
01-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Even I can figure out how to use Drews strengths to win games. Run the ball.

justa for offensive coordinator :clap:

Seriously, Drew's best years were when they did exactly that with Curtis Martin. Establish a running game and play the pass off of that. Basic Football 101 and it applies to most every QB in the league. Why Gilbride couldn't figure that out. :idunno:

BuffaloSkyMaster
01-10-2004, 06:02 PM
It shouldn't matter so much about Bledsoe. If the offense is run correctly, it should be more run oriented with Henry and McGahee. That will open up the passing game.:rocker:

Michael82
01-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Seriously, people. If TD wanted to hire a yes man, a robot he could control and program into keeping Bledsoe at all costs, why are we still looking for a coach? Just promote Gillbride, or Gray, Mularkey, or some other guy.

Why would Weis, probably oneof the hottest coordinators out there and a shoe in for a job either this year or next- take a job where he has zero say?

You guys watch way too much X-Files - all these ridiculous conspiracy theories based solely on clouded emotions instead of any of it based in facts. It really makes it hard to take some of these opinions seriously.

That's true. Okay, then maybe Weis will can Bledsoe when he takes the job. :ontome:

The_Philster
01-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloSkyMaster
It shouldn't matter so much about Bledsoe. If the offense is run correctly, it should be more run oriented with Henry and McGahee. That will open up the passing game.:rocker:

Damn straight. That's the basic way pretty much any offense should be run regardless of the QB.

BTW, :welcome: to the Zone..first round :beer: is on LOG

justasportsfan
01-10-2004, 08:28 PM

Damn straight. That's the basic way pretty much any offense should be run regardless of the QB.

BTW, :welcome: to the Zone..first round :beer: is on LOG At times when we ran the ball well, Drew has either over/under thrown the ball throwing for 10 yds.

LABillsFan
01-11-2004, 03:35 AM
Not only is Weiss the OC and QB coach, he is also the Asst. Head coach. If the Bills hire him, I don't see any problem with him running the show. As far as the relationship he had with Bledsoe, whether he was instrumental or not with the trade, he is a solid coach who is used to winning and would not setlle for anything less. I look for him to help Drew out but yet at the same time be willing to yank him if TB or whoever the back up QB is ready. I can see TD having a problem with a GW and KG, but niether of them have the resume or respect that Weiss has.

Novacane
01-11-2004, 01:58 PM

He has a strong arm and he's a good father.

Good luck playing to these strengths.

You are such a hater :church: