PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Al Saunders getting any interest?

Michael82
01-10-2004, 05:58 PM
I was just checking out his bio and it looks pretty good. Plus, look at the KC Chiefs offense. Wouldn't that look good here? Henry as the focal point and then Bledsoe or whoever as the QB, throwing long bombs occasionally?

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach.asp?coach_category=Coaches&coach_name=Al+Saunders

Regarded as one of the most accomplished offensive minds in all of football with experience as both a head coach and offensive coordinator, Al Saunders enters his third season as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator for the Chiefs in 2003.

Embarking on his 34th season in the coaching ranks this year, Saunders owns 21 years of NFL coaching experience and is beginning his 13th coaching campaign with Kansas City. He previously served a 10-year stint as assistant head coach/wide receivers coach under head coach Marty Schottenheimer from ’89-98. During that 10-year span, he was part of a Chiefs coaching staff which helped guide Kansas City to three AFC West titles and seven playoff berths.

2002, Saunders presided over the most prolific offensive season in Kansas City history as the Chiefs broke or tied 22 single-season team offensive records and led the NFL in a multitude of offensive categories. Most notably, the Chiefs led the NFL in scoring for the first time in team history with a franchise-record 467 points (29.1 ppg). The club also ranked second in the league in total offense by averaging 375.0 yards per game after accumulating a team-record 6,000 yards on the season. In addition, Kansas City established franchise seasonal standards for first downs (343), offensive TDs (53) and rushing TDs (26). Meanwhile, the club led the NFL in yards per play (6.22) and yards per pass attempt (7.89) and first-down efficiency (6.88), while also pacing the league in TD efficiency by crossing the goal line on 29.8 percent of its offensive possessions (53 of 178 drives).

Michael82
01-10-2004, 06:00 PM
And then there's this one....

In Saunders’ two seasons as offensive coordinator, the Chiefs have accumulated 11,673 yards of total offense, the best two-year tally in the franchise’s illustrious 44-year history. Over that span, Kansas City rattled off a team-record streak of 13 consecutive games with 300+ yards of total offense. In 2002 alone, the Chiefs broke or tied single-season records for 300-yard games (13), 400-yard games (six) and 500-yard games (two).

Prior to rejoining the Chiefs, Saunders spent two seasons with St. Louis where he coached wide receivers and also served as associate head coach in 2000. During that two-year span, Saunders helped revitalize a Rams offense which helped the club steamroll its way to a 13-3 regular season record in ’99 and a triumph over Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV. Owning an energetic and hands-on style, Saunders continues to invigorate the Kansas City offense in much the same way.

Dozerdog
01-10-2004, 06:12 PM
He turned down the Nebraska job- FINALLY accepted by ex-Raider coach Bill Callahan.

My money is riding on this-

I beleive he wants to step in after Vermeil steps down in KC. Verrmeil toyed with retirement this season and will probably exit next year.

Devin
01-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I am actually pretty surprised about this as well, although Dozer is probably right.

Michael82
01-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
My money is riding on this-

I beleive he wants to step in after Vermeil steps down in KC. Verrmeil toyed with retirement this season and will probably exit next year.

That's what I'm thinking. But why doesn't anyone else offer a HC job to him? Or at least interview him if his team loses tomorrow. :D

Historian
01-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282

That's what I'm thinking. But why doesn't anyone else offer a HC job to him? Or at least interview him if his team loses tomorrow. :D

...because he sucks. He's not HC material.