PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Tag question?

hintexas
01-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Can the Bills put the franchise tag on Winfield? And if they can do you think another team would give up a first round pick for him? It would be great if the Bills had 2 first round draft picks. Then draft Sean Taylor and Vernon Carey.

Jeff1220
01-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Yes theycan.
No they would't.

There are a lot of good DBs in free agency. Any team would be stupid to give up a first rounder for any DB this year. On top of that, if the Bills tagged him they'd have to pay him the average of the top 5 CBs in the league. And let's face it, Winfield's a good tackler, but not even close to a top 5 CB. He'd be close to the top 10.

Dozerdog
01-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Not only that, it's good for only 1 season. Then you have a highly paid unhappy CB. Either sign him or replace him with one of the many excellent CB's out there

Bert102176
01-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Charles Woodson

helmetguy
01-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Not only that, it's good for only 1 season.

If they did tag him, then subsequently sign him to a multi-year deal, would we get the tag back? Or would we lose the tag until he's no longer on the roster? I remember the Fina deal, where we signed him to a one year contract (after franchising him) then to a separate six-year deal that took effect after the "tag" year expired? Is that still the way it works?

Jeff1220
01-11-2004, 09:46 PM
It depends on when the deal was signed. There's a deadline for lifting the tag that allows it to become reusable.

HenryRules
01-11-2004, 10:05 PM
I'd much rather take the gamble that we can get someone like Bailey or Woodson - both multi-pro bowlers who are about the same age as Winfield - before signing Winfield to a contract - especially a franchise-tag valued one.

DraftBoy
01-11-2004, 10:44 PM
The problem is that we dont know what the price range is for those two type of players and they may already be out of our range. CB not being one of our dire needs, I would rather just have AW back at what I would have to think would be less money.

HenryRules
01-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
The problem is that we dont know what the price range is for those two type of players and they may already be out of our range. CB not being one of our dire needs, I would rather just have AW back at what I would have to think would be less money.

I know we don't know the price range ... that's the gamble part.

However, whichever one of the CB's signs first is going to be the one that dictates the market, I'd much rather we dictate the market and get the best CB than have the market dictated to us and we be left with the guy no one wanted.

Bmax
01-11-2004, 11:34 PM
only in our dreams ....besides sean tay lor is a top 5 to 10 pick no way does he fall to 13 unless he does something illegal.....

Bmax

mypoorfriendme
01-12-2004, 01:20 AM
just like terrell suggs and jimmy kennedy were top 5 locks at this time last season too ;)

mypoorfriendme
01-12-2004, 01:21 AM
and even apart from woodson and bailey, there are a ton of quality FA cb's available