• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Then there were three: Bills' search narrows

By MARK GAUGHAN, Buffalo News
    It looks like a three-man race for head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and a decision probably will come this week.
    The Bills' brain trust spent the past two days analyzing the information gathered from seven interviews of head-coaching candidates.

The three likeliest choices to succeed Gregg Williams still appear to be former Chicago head coach Dick Jauron, Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and New England offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.

more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • zone
    No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
    • Oct 2003

Yea great whatever happened to the next coach of the bills will have considerable head coaching experience. I guess we should just file that away with the bills "power" running game of this year.

Sorry Marv I guess you see how much this orginization really thinks of you... looks like we are going to get TD's friend Mularkey, hey at least we can think up a lot of spoof names once he starts falling us miserably. Bro's before Pro's huh TD?
    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Yeah- that's right-

They put him on the Wall of fame, gave him tons of honors, and I guess it's a slap in the face to Marv that they don't want to bring back a guy who will be one of the oldest coaches in the History of the NFL.

Why does this club have to sacrefice the short term future of the team just to "bestow" one mor ehonor on the guy?

I want a head coach who has the potential to be here for 10 years, not a band aid.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Vermeil is the oldest at 67 right now- George Halas retired at 68 years of age-

I'm having a hard time trying to find anyone who even comes close to 78 years old who ever coached in the NFL- let alone any other major sport.

Comment

• zone
          • Oct 2003

I will bet my house that no matter who we hire they will not be in b-low for 10 years. **** we will be lucky if the team is still here in 10.
          www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Sid Gilman is the best I can come p with- early 70's coaching in the USFL

Man - what is with the defeatist attitudes? Why bother if all it's going to do is aggreavate you?

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Seriously, if Marv goes 6-10- what will your take be?

Comment

• zone
                • Oct 2003

There are no 20-year coaching tenures anymore. Seven or eight NFL coaches are fired or retire every year.

Dick Vermeil had been gone from the NFL 14 seasons when he returned in 1997, and Joe Gibbs is back now after 11 years away.

Age is just a number!

He is sharp. He hasn't been out of the game for long -- six years -- and during that time, he has been a TV analyst and a columnist for NFL.com. So he's in touch. He runs three miles a day. He has energy. And there is no better resume for the job than his.

Old doesn't mean decrepit. Old doesn't mean out-of-touch. Old doesn't mean failing health or faculties. Believe it or not, old doesn't even mean driving down the left lane of the Eisenhower going 40 with a turn signal on.

Guess how old the manager of this year's World Series champion was. 73

You can have levy come in and devolp the players and a good young coach then when he is done that coach steps up and levy's job is done.

Just like raceism there is such a thing as ageism.
                www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

I want new Blood I guess we will have to agree to disagree

Comment

• zone
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    Man - what is with the defeatist attitudes? Why bother if all it's going to do is aggreavate you?
                    It's just real dishearting that the most quilified person for the job, that would do a ton instantly for this team is not even being givin a chance to interview. Any of the other candidates still need to devolop as HC's. Marv is ready now, and so is this team, they were ready last year. We can't afford to play The Apprentice, we need to win now while we still have the personel, and Ralf alive.
                    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• zone
                      • Oct 2003

I want new Blood I guess we will have to agree to disagree
                      I did too and we got GW.

Now it's time to go with someone proven, even if it's just for two years.

Doesn't it kill you to see this team with all this talent in the state that it is in? I am not sure on this stat but I would be willing to believe the number of first year HC making the playoffs is very low.
                      www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by zone

Doesn't it kill you to see this team with all this talent in the state that it is in? I am not sure on this stat but I would be willing to believe the number of first year HC making the playoffs is very low.
                        I'm dissapointed we came up lemons in the last coach hunt. However, I look at the entire body of work TD has done-

Fixed a horrid cap situation
                        Given us tremendous upgrade in player talent in 2 seasons
                        Has not spent recklessly in cap space or draft choices

Look at his previous situation in Pittsburgh- he replaced a legend (Noll) and in his first coach hire attempt did pretty well- Bill Cower is one of those 10 year coaches. He also managed to keep the Steelers a compeditive winning club most of those 10 seasons despite huge losses in FA.

I'm a guy who wants this team to win on a consistent basis. We could blow the cap sky high, and try to buy a championship (many more teams fail at that than are successful). If you want o go that route- put all the eggs in one basket and are willing to take a 2-14 clunb 4 yeas down the road- then go for it.

I'd rather see a solid team (we are so close right now) with a solid foundation in the front office and in the coaching staff. i don't want to rebuild in 3 seasons again.

Or we can have an attitude that we will allways suck, no matter what we do. I'm sorry- but if we are going to hire guys based on what they did a long time ago- let's get Hank Stram- at least he won a Super Bowl

Comment

• zone
                          • Oct 2003

Seriously, if Marv goes 6-10- what will your take be?
                          I don't know that he won't, but I doubt that would happen.

What I do know is that there is not any other canidate that brings the instant credibility that Marv does. I belive with Marv back at the helm that the road to the SB would lead back through b-low.
                          www.blzbus.com

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                            My IQ Test results came back negative
                            • Oct 2002

whats the point of argueing. marv isnt gonna be the coach.. hes 78 years old!. times changed alot since he played the game is ALOT different. i wouldnt be suprised if the redskins SUCK next year.

Comment

• zone
                              • Oct 2003

I'm dissapointed we came up lemons in the last coach hunt. However, I look at the entire body of work TD has done-

Fixed a horrid cap situation
                              Given us tremendous upgrade in player talent in 2 seasons
                              Has not spent recklessly in cap space or draft choices

Look at his previous situation in Pittsburgh- he replaced a legend (Noll) and in his first coach hire attempt did pretty well- Bill Cower is one of those 10 year coaches. He also managed to keep the Steelers a compeditive winning club most of those 10 seasons despite huge losses in FA.

I'm a guy who wants this team to win on a consistent basis. We could blow the cap sky high, and try to buy a championship (many more teams fail at that than are successful). If you want o go that route- put all the eggs in one basket and are willing to take a 2-14 clunb 4 yeas down the road- then go for it.

I'd rather see a solid team (we are so close right now) with a solid foundation in the front office and in the coaching staff. i don't want to rebuild in 3 seasons again.

Or we can have an attitude that we will allways suck, no matter what we do. I'm sorry- but if we are going to hire guys based on what they did a long time a go- let's get Hank Stram
                              No I don't disagree at all with the desisions TD has made, and the situation he has put this team in, and I don't even disagree with the GW call, because you never know when you get the next BP. All I am saying is when I guy with Marv resume walks into you office I would figure you hire him no matter what the situation. Like I said bring in some young blood as an AC and let marv teach him the ropes then when he is done that AC could take over and hopefully be in it for the long hall. If marv was 65 would this even be a conversation, no he would be hiring his staff right now. I don't want to go into another rebuild either in 3, but just because you take someone young does not guarantee that. Having medicore winning seasons is not good enough. We need to be deep in the playoff race, and we need people to fear coming to buffalo agian.
                              www.blzbus.com

Comment

Working...
                              X