PDA

View Full Version : If Weis doesn't get the job, it may be because of Drew...

Ickybaluky
01-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Ron Borges writes for the Boston Globe and is close to Bledsoe. He has always been a big Drew backer and despises Bill Belichick. The reason I state this is because today he reported this:

"Up in Buffalo, Tom Donahoe is a strong Weis advocate, but he and owner Ralph Wilson are concerned that the last time the Bills went with an inexperienced coordinator it turned into a disaster. Gregg Williams was fired at the end of the season with his house in turmoil, so there is a strong belief that Jauron has the inside track on that job, with Weis and Mularkey the other candidates. One problem for Weis is that he and Drew Bledsoe did not separate on good terms, although Weis may be shocked to learn that. Bledsoe confronted him during a steamy session late in the Super Bowl season and told him he thought Weis had lied to him about his status. Bledsoe was not upset that the Patriots decided to stick with Tom Brady once the winning streak began. What bothered him was that he thought Weis and Belichick strung him along with promises they had no intention of keeping. Bledsoe has always been a flexible guy, however, and probably could coexist with Weis. But why would the Bills go in that direction when Jauron and Mularkey are available?"

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/01/11/openings_closing_fast/

If the Bills ask Bledsoe for his opinion on Weis, what answer would he give?

justasportsfan
01-11-2004, 11:31 AM
I'd take Weis over Drew. Weis could come up with an offensive scheme that would even make Van Pelt look like a probowler.

jchild178
01-11-2004, 11:42 AM
couldnt have said it better myself...great answer justasportsfan!!

Throne Logic
01-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Exacty why would anyone hire Jauron? I wouldn't look at him until he has a couple of successful years as someones coordinator.

Fassell killed the Giants. He's not horrible, but he will bring eternal mediocrity into Buffalo. I don't want him.

Weis, of all the available candidates, offers he biggest upside. If he successfully brings in the Parcells / Belichick mindset, we strike gold.

JJamezz
01-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Seems like a no brainer to me.. Who do you want to hitch your star to, an aging, inflexible, overpriced, immobile, and always overrated QB, coming off an absolutely abysmal season? Or a rising, young, flexible, obviously intelligent OC, who has experience coaching all aspects of the game, has worked under two of the premiere HC's in the game, and has 2 SB rings to his credit, going for number 3 this season?

Since its coming from the Boston media, I'm assuming this is just preemptive sour grapes, as at this point the money is on Weis becoming our HC.

baalworship
01-11-2004, 11:52 AM
I am more worried about Ralph Wilson's love of Drew than anything else. Tom Donahoe is a good football guy and he has to know that Bledsoe is done.

If Ralph Wilson pushes too much Tom Donahoe will push back. His job is on the line and he will bring Modrak in to the meeting and remind Ralph that they are both committed to winning a SB soon. We are pretty close talent wise. If Buffalo hires a coach based on one player's whims we are not going to win many games anyway.

mybills
01-11-2004, 11:57 AM
If Bledsoe couldn't learn Weis's little dumpoff passes in NE.....
Weis won't want him here.

The Spaz
01-11-2004, 12:01 PM
In other news Mike Mularkey has turned down the jon interview with the Oakland Raiders. I don't know if we should read more into this or not?

Dozerdog
01-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Why is everyone convinced that there is some irrational attachment to an expensive player?

Because the media said so?

Seriously, if the new coach wants to keep him and can work with him- great! If not- then it will be his choice.

Ickybaluky
01-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Bledsoe completed 50 or more passes to over 5 different receivers in 1994. If you look at him under Parcells, he was a dump-off passer.

Drew has developed a big-play mentality and it has hurt his overall game. He isn't Marino. That said, the right coach could straighten him out. Parcells could.

mybills
01-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Parcells isn't on the list.

justasportsfan
01-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by mybills
Parcells isn't on the list. Damn. I thought he was arriving tomorrow for an interview.