X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenryRules
    • Jul 2002

Are Donahoe's best days behind him?

I'm beginning to think that TD is the one we really need to get rid of around here (I've been thinking this since about mid-season).

Just for kicks, I decided to take a look at his last years in Pittsburgh and see how his record was there. Unfortunately, it wasn't too much different than it's been here.

You have to go all the way back to 1997 to find a year when a Donahoe-run team had a winning record.

98 (Pitt) ... 7-9
    99 (Pitt) ... 6-10

01 (Buff) ... 3-13
    02 (Buff) ... 8-8
    03 (Buff) ... 6-10

He resigned at the end of the 2000 season with Pittsburgh.

So, that's a 5-year record of 30 - 50 (average of 6-10). Lots of people say that he's great at avoiding cap hell ... well, if you're averaging 6 wins a season, I hope you're not going up against a cap wall.

GW sucked, but Cowher definitely didn't. Since TD left, Pitt's record has been:

00 ... 9-7
    01 ... 13-3
    02 ... 10-5-1
    03 ... 6-10

38 - 25 - 1. Much better without TD.

I don't know much about Pitt's offseason in 2000 and 2001, but if anyone does know anything, it'd make me feel a whole lot better about the Bills if Cowher didn't do much in those years and just rode out with TD's team.
    Last edited by HenryRules; 01-11-2004, 12:53 PM.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

He's the GM not the coach. The coach woks with the GM to bring in the type of players he needs to run a certain scheme offensively or defensively, after that it's soley up to the coach to get his scheme to work.

Comment

• HenryRules
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
      He's the GM not the coach. The coach woks with the GM to bring in the type of players he needs to run a certain scheme offensively or defensively, after that it's soley up to the coach to get his scheme to work.
      He's the president. At the end of the day, he's responsible for the on-field product.

Whoever has the power to fire/hire the other, is the one that must bear the brunt of responsibility at the end of the day.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by HenryRules

He's the president. At the end of the day, he's responsible for the on-field product.

Whoever has the power to fire/hire the other, is the one that must bear the brunt of responsibility at the end of the day.
        You want to have Micro-management. I don't and I doubt anyone else does either.

Comment

• HenryRules
          • Jul 2002

You want to have Micro-management. I don't and I doubt anyone else does either.
          I don't want to have micro-management - I want Donahoe to put the right people in charge. He hasn't done that.

And back to your first point, if the GM is responsible for getting the players the coaches need ... why did Cowher do so much better without him?

Comment

• london59
            • Dec 2003

If he hires Mularky or Jauron and not Weis then I will have lost all faith in Donahoe.

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

I don't want to have micro-management - I want Donahoe to put the right people in charge. He hasn't done that.

And back to your first point, if the GM is responsible for getting the players the coaches need ... why did Cowher do so much better without him?
              Well let's see Donohoe has only been here for 3 years and in his first year he totally dismantled the team because we had severe cap problems. The 2nd part of your question why did Cowher have so much success, that's easy he is an established coach which we haven't had yet since TD's tenure. I am however not going to hold that aginst TD as it was his 1st HC he has hired. If he misses the boat this time then I think there he shoudl be reevaluated.

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

Well let's see Donohoe has only been here for 3 years and in his first year he totally dismantled the team because we had severe cap problems. The 2nd part of your question why did Cowher have so much success, that's easy he is an established coach which we haven't had yet since TD's tenure. I am however not going to hold that aginst TD as it was his 1st HC he has hired. If he misses the boat this time then I think there he shoudl be reevaluated.
                Regarding Cowher ... Cowher has done much better since TD left than the last 2 years he had TD at his side. He was still an established coach when TD was there, yet his last 2 seasons were 7-9 and 6-10. If TD was acquiring the players for 2000 and 2001, I'd feel better, but I don't know if that's the case.

Also, I wasn't only talking about TD's 3 years here ... I was talking about his last 5 years as a GM or GM/president.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Regarding Cowher ... Cowher has done much better since TD left than the last 2 years he had TD at his side. He was still an established coach when TD was there, yet his last 2 seasons were 7-9 and 6-10. If TD was acquiring the players for 2000 and 2001, I'd feel better, but I don't know if that's the case.

Also, I wasn't only talking about TD's 3 years here ... I was talking about his last 5 years as a GM or GM/president.
                  The Steelers Drafts have been terrible since TD left.

Comment

• HenryRules
                    • Jul 2002

The Steelers Drafts have been terrible since TD left.
                    Their record has been significantly better and he's the only major change in the administration.

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

Their record has been significantly better and he's the only major change in the administration.
                      Coaching plain and simple.

Comment

• HenryRules
                        • Jul 2002

Coaching plain and simple.
                        Their coaching hasn't changed since he was there.

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

You don't get the point. We haven't had great coaching.

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

You don't get the point. We haven't had great coaching.
                            You don't get the point, I'm not just talking about TD's work here.

His last couple of years in Pittsburgh produced the same results.

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

He's here now I can give 2 *****s what he did with the Steelers. You think he has brought in terrible FA's or what?

Comment

Working...
                              X