PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Bills Article

london59
01-11-2004, 12:56 PM
There are going to be some that do not agree with some or all of it but it has some really good points.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_222208_24&prov=citadel&type=lgns

shelby
01-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the link!

justasportsfan
01-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Great article. I agree especially with not building an O around Drew. If it was Manning that would be a different story.

Donahoe IMO has done a great job putting a competitive team tagether when it comes to players. He needs to get the right coach. We still have better players than the Cowboys and I agree that TD needs to dtop this "friend" thing. I doubt he's in that mode. If he was, he would've at least given Coughlin an interview.

I don't want MUlarkey. I'm leaning on Weis first, Marv second.

HenryRules
01-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Funny, in one paragraph, he says that WR is a big need, then he spends the next two paragraphs saying that people who think WR is a need are foolish.

There's also some other points that make me scratch my head:

We're set at TE, but not at OLB.
An offense that was as horrible as ours only needs to add interior OL-men and we'll be one of the best offenses in the league.
Campbell proved that he is a TE to build around, yet the jury should still be out on a DT that was a pro bowl alternate.

By the name, I can see who wrote that, and a few months away from here have not given any more consistency to his thoughts.

kill4bills
01-13-2004, 01:19 AM
i like the thought of willis and henry in the same backfield. we shouldnt trade neither and just watch them torch the league

kill4bills
01-13-2004, 01:28 AM
i cant wait

Mr. Cynical
01-13-2004, 01:34 AM
From the article:

4. Ditch the Tom Donahoe "Friends & Family" program:

Perhaps this is more aptly named the "Friends and Pittsburgh Ties" program. Under any circumstances, it needs to cease. Why Mularkey is even in consideration for the head coaching job in Buffalo following the season that he had down in Pittsburgh is a major league headscratcher to me. I would also be skeptical that Mularkey would fire Kevin Gilbride, another F&PT program guy.

A promotion to head coach here would mean an inherent approval of the offensive coordinator's efforts in producing an offense ranked 19th in scoring and 22nd in yardage in Pittsburgh while dropping 6 of 7 games vs. playoff teams on the merits of an average of fewer than 14 points-per-game in offensive production in six of those seven losses. This does not appear to me to be what a Bills' team that was dead last in the league in offensive production from week three onward really needs!

Man, this guy hit the nail on the head. :cool:

the dude
01-13-2004, 01:54 AM
makin the rounds, waving the anti-Drew flag yet again? Can't say I disagree with him anymore ...

Jan Reimers
01-13-2004, 06:43 AM
I agree with much of the article, except his analysis of WR and DT. We do need a speed receiver way more than a DT. Adams has made Williams even more effective, and Edwards and Bannan are coming along.

TD has not put a competitive team on the field, and it isn't all coaching. While he got us out of Butler salary cap jail, we are now only about $7.5 million under the cap, with many holes to fill. Some 16 teams are in better cap shape than we are.

It appears that TD has spent most of our cap money to put a 6-10 team on the field.

Jeff1220
01-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by the dude
makin the rounds, waving the anti-Drew flag yet again? Can't say I disagree with him anymore ...

It is indeed Wys.

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 09:07 AM
I’m reading this thing thinking to myself, “I’ve read crap like this before” I’m not even Kidding, I read the first part and had to look at who was writing this piece of garbage! Sure enough. When are you people going to realize that this guy is full of AIR!

Ummmm Bledsoe was brought in to only sell tickets, first of all, I hope many of you remember that I’m the one that used that argument against dumb ass 2 years ago when we first signed him. Remember when he wanted to start Travis Brown and I told him that we wouldn’t sell out a single game with Travis Brown at QB but we’d sell out a bunch with Drew.

But that was not the only reason for signing Drew. It’s just another example of the mans logic! You can say that now, but if you look back to the signing, it was done because he was a good player and he played like it for most of his first year.

I can’t comment on the rest because I nearly vomited and need to leave the site.

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 09:17 AM
"The same goes for Reed. Reed took far too much heat this year for "dropped balls" which were very poorly thrown by Bledsoe. "

OH IT's SO GOOD! He blames Drew in nearly every section.

Remember the opener when Drew under-threw the flea-flicker! It doesn’t matter the Reed came back for it and it bounced right off his chest! It only matters that it was under thrown!

What about the big week 4 match-up against Philly when Drew threw the WR screen to Reed at the 11! The one when Reed had nothing in front of him but endzone! The one that might have enabled us to beat Philly and go 3-1! You know the one, the one that bounced right off his hands! Yeah, that’s Drew’s fault also!

This guy is so ridiculous.

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Funny, in one paragraph, he says that WR is a big need, then he spends the next two paragraphs saying that people who think WR is a need are foolish.

There's also some other points that make me scratch my head:

We're set at TE, but not at OLB.
An offense that was as horrible as ours only needs to add interior OL-men and we'll be one of the best offenses in the league.
Campbell proved that he is a TE to build around, yet the jury should still be out on a DT that was a pro bowl alternate.

By the name, I can see who wrote that, and a few months away from here have not given any more consistency to his thoughts.

It's crazy eh!

HR, this article is TERRIBLE! He’s all over the board!

Nothing has changed with this guy, he was right on Drew so he harps on it, but he was dead wrong about Reed and Adams but continues to praise Reed and bash Adams!

NO CREDIBILITY!

Voltron
01-13-2004, 09:45 AM
I think you need to go back and watch more Film Pat because Drew SUCKED this year. I used to be a "Drew Believer" as well. The problem is his confidence is SHOT. He was given ammple time in the pocket on most occations to A. make a play B. throw it away C. Tuck the ball and take the sack with out a fumble

But he has no pocket presence. This is nothing new Pat. He never had Pocket presence in NE either! He gets happy feet, pats the ball, and BOOM he is on his back with out even trying to get rid of the ball. I do agree Gilbride could have done a better job with Drew and I think Drew can be a capable QB but we don't have the time or the money to spend trying to put "The perfect team" around him. I bet if you didn't know his name you would never have even said anything about this artical :mad:

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 09:50 AM
WHAT!!!!!!\

I’M ACTUALLY ANGRY NOW!

Did you even read what I wrote?

Did you read that I said, “he was right about Drew”?

I suggest you read me again. This guy is a fool! His work is terrible and his ideas suck! It’s the same old story,

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 09:52 AM
I didn't know it was him, But I've read a lot of Wys BS over the years and two Paragraphs in I had a feeling I was reading another of his terrible posts and sure enough I was right.

juice
01-13-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm feeling the part about drafting Rivers, You need to adress the Future of the QB position. ACC Football

Earthquake Enyart
01-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
This guy is a fool! His work is terrible and his ideas suck! It’s the same old story,

Sad part is that he thinks he's a writer. :cynic:

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 10:34 AM
I’m actually embarrassed that it was posted at Yahoo and people around the country will read it.

LtBillsFan66
01-13-2004, 10:47 AM
I printed it out, read it, laughed, and then wiped my ass with that garbage.

LtBillsFan66
01-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I’m actually embarrassed that it was posted at Yahoo and people around the country will read it.

Reed took far too much heat this year for "dropped balls" which were very poorly thrown by Bledsoe.

Embarrassed is putting it lightly.

helmetguy
01-13-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm with you, Pat. He, again, has attempted to pass off subjective critique as "analysis." Phrases like "For crying out loud..." have no place in expository prose. He's strong in his opinions, yes, but who really cares what he thinks if he offers no viable alternatives, no allows for credit where credit is due. He has to realize that the Bills ARE an NFL franchise, not merely a theoretical entity in his fantasy league mentality.

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I printed it out, read it, laughed, and then wiped my ass with that garbage.

LMAO!

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
I'm with you, Pat. He, again, has attempted to pass off subjective critique as "analysis." Phrases like "For crying out loud..." have no place in expository prose. He's strong in his opinions, yes, but who really cares what he thinks if he offers no viable alternatives, no allows for credit where credit is due. He has to realize that the Bills ARE an NFL franchise, not merely a theoretical entity in his fantasy league mentality.

Whoa……that’s deep dude!

Voltron
01-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Sorry Pat I iguess I jumped the gun on that.

I DO feel that had that name not been on that artical it would have gotten less than 2 posts about it :shakeno:

BAM
01-13-2004, 11:46 AM
:down:

helmetguy
01-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Voltron

I DO feel that had that name not been on that artical it would have gotten less than 2 posts about it :shakeno:

I recognized the style as soon as I started reading it. I had to back to the top and see if it was really who I was thinking it was.

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

I recognized the style as soon as I started reading it. I had to back to the top and see if it was really who I was thinking it was.

Same here! I just knew!

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Voltron

No problem V-dog. All's cool in Patsville!

Jeff1220
01-13-2004, 01:46 PM
It's funny how this article was posted 2 days ago, but there were only a couple of responses until it got out that this is Wys. Today is the first day that I read it, because the thread found its way back to the top of the line, and I knew right away. My first thought was, "I wonder if everyone else realizes who this is?"
While he is very onesided, especially in the criticism of other players vs. Drew (Reed, for example), he does offer solutions that could work.
I like the idea of bringing in viable starters at the QB position, and letting it be a battle instead of just handing the position over. I also like the idea of AJ Feeley being one of those QBs.

In response to this:

Primary needs last offseason were for, in order, a respectable LDE, a DT, interior OL-men, an OLB, and a WR.
LDE - Kelsey is a project, not an immediate replacement, but who else was there?Did any other rook DE make a huge splash this year? FAs?

DT - I think Adams more than did his share this year. He had a lull early on, but got stronger and better as the season went on. Depth at the position also seemed to be pretty good.

Interior OL - After the season was under way, it became a more appearant need. Last year, everyone was expecting better protection from a maturing OL. A need - yes. Did everyone know this then - No. This is a hindsight call.

OLB - TKO and Posey. All-pro and underrated bargain. Done and done.

WR - Reed was expected to step up as #2 and never did. Shaw came in and did what he was supposed to do - he played like someone who was a so-so #2 and a really good #3. Had Reed panned out this past year, and Moulds stayed healthy, the talent at WR would've been fine. That wasn't the case with Reed - another hindsight call.

As far as Milloy goes, I think he played well, but not equal to his pay. I do worry about Wire's development being slowed with him on the bench. I also worry, though, about the burn jobs on him by WRs if he's in the game.

Let's face it, TD is not the invincible genius we (mostly) all thought he was last year. He's also not the ignorant, bottom-line only personality that this article makes him out to be. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Crinoline
01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
All these years lurking/posting and I am beginning to suspect Wys may not like Drew.

lordofgun
01-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Crinoline
All these years lurking/posting and I am beginning to suspect Wys may not like Drew.

:chuckle:

Mr. Miyagi
01-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Crinoline
:rofl: