PDA

View Full Version : To those who think we need an offensive minded HC

cordog
01-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Look at the Colts. Tony Dungy is a "Defensive Minded" HC and his team has put up 79 points in two games. Goes to show even if your a Defensive minded coach, you can still have a great offense with the right people running it.

The Spaz
01-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Well then we at least need a good O-Coordinator!:)

Dozerdog
01-11-2004, 03:33 PM
LOL...Dungy's team didn't force a punt by the Chiefs all game...and he still won

TigerJ
01-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Indianapolis was an offensive powerhouse before Dungy came. It was their defence that was a wreck. Today's game not withstanding, Dungy was brought in to fix what was broken and to leave alone what was working. This is the opposite of the situation in Buffalo where the defence has performed well, except for forcing turnovers and getting sacks, but the offence is badly broken. I Buffalo's management were to follow the same principle as Bill Polian in Indy, they would indeed bring in the offensive guy to fix what's broken and leave the D alone. I think your arguement is completely and utterly flawed, Cordog, and in essence supports the opposite conclusion.

If TD hires Dick Jauron, so be it, I will root for him and hope he does well, including bringing in the top notch OC he never managed to find in Chicago, but the approach that makes the most sense to me is to bring in the guy who can fix what's broke.

Bert102176
01-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Dungy's Offense is very good and was there before he took over, the only thing he has done is brought the defense to life in Indy

Bert102176
01-11-2004, 07:12 PM
oh see what Tiger said above, lol

justasportsfan
01-11-2004, 07:15 PM
GW was offensive and so was Gilbride. So offensive that we fired one and other should go soon.

socalfan
01-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
Dungy's Offense is very good and was there before he took over, the only thing he has done is brought the defense to life in Indy

The Indy defense did not cause one punt today. And there were no QB sacks.

cordog
01-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Indianapolis was an offensive powerhouse before Dungy came. It was their defence that was a wreck. Today's game not withstanding, Dungy was brought in to fix what was broken and to leave alone what was working. This is the opposite of the situation in Buffalo where the defence has performed well, except for forcing turnovers and getting sacks, but the offence is badly broken. I Buffalo's management were to follow the same principle as Bill Polian in Indy, they would indeed bring in the offensive guy to fix what's broken and leave the D alone. I think your arguement is completely and utterly flawed, Cordog, and in essence supports the opposite conclusion.

If TD hires Dick Jauron, so be it, I will root for him and hope he does well, including bringing in the top notch OC he never managed to find in Chicago, but the approach that makes the most sense to me is to bring in the guy who can fix what's broke.

No TigerJ you missed my argument. Some people here believe if we bring in a defensive minded coach, that the offense will not do anything. Watching the Colts and Baltimore where the strengths of their teams lie outside of the coach's "specialty", the offense or defense can be effective given the right person is running it.

kgun12
01-11-2004, 07:59 PM
But you still have t oscore some points. Our defense held opponets to less than 13 points per game, I think that should have been enough to win more than 6 games. Our D wasn't the problem, we need someone to get this offense to score points, just like Indy, we already have a D like Baltimore!

HenryRules
01-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
Our defense held opponets to less than 13 points per game,

Wha??

cordog
01-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
But you still have t oscore some points. Our defense held opponets to less than 13 points per game, I think that should have been enough to win more than 6 games. Our D wasn't the problem, we need someone to get this offense to score points, just like Indy, we already have a D like Baltimore!

Oh I agree that we do need to fix the offense. Im just saying you dont have to bring in an Offensive HC to do that, you just need an effective coordinator. I hope we do hire a offensive style HC, hopefully Weis.

Halbert
01-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Levy = SB

cordog
01-11-2004, 09:09 PM
LEVY= 2 years then hes gone. I would rather take a shot with a young guy and hope we can go 3 years w/o looking for a new HC

kgun12
01-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules

Wha??

Sorry 17.187. We still need to fix the offense. The D is solid!

zone
01-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
Levy = SB

:bf1:

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-12-2004, 07:08 AM
Am I the only one that thinks it's never one person that makes a team win?

The Spaz
01-12-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
Am I the only one that thinks it's never one person that makes a team win?

NO!:beer:

kgun12
01-12-2004, 07:47 AM
No, but the head controls the body.