PDA

View Full Version : If Drew wasnt' being Superman...

WG
10-08-2002, 09:43 AM
...then we wouldn't be much better than last year.

The coaching staff can thank Donahoe that that trade worked out and can kiss Drew's feet for probably not causing the entire staff to get canned at the end of this year.

That's the lone bright spot that I can see on this team right now; Drew and the WRs/TEs. That's based largely on talent differential and not largely the play-calling which is suspect IMO.

Anytime your coaches talk up your RB and yet call the plays 27 pass to 6 run in the first half when you are either up or very much in the game, I have to scratch my head.

Creemoredrinker
10-08-2002, 09:45 AM
Wys, we were beat by a very good team this past week and it is only 5 games. We will be 3-3 after next week and we will continue to work on improving the team.

LtBillsFan66
10-08-2002, 09:50 AM
Here is a question for ya? Is it Drew that is improving the team or the team that is improving Drew? Or a little of both?

I think that they compliment each other. Drew came into a pretty good situation. Weapons galore.

venis2k1
10-08-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
Is it Drew that is improving the team or the team that is improving Drew?

Thats the exact same thing my mom said(word of word).

Buffarama
10-08-2002, 11:27 AM
Drew is improving the team. That was too easy a question.

Scott
10-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Drew's impact has been large. But where the hell is the running game? With the roadgraters on our oline we should be able to run the ball.

Buffarama
10-08-2002, 11:32 AM
There have been no immediate improvements to the team besides Bledsoe, with the exception of Gilbride, then Williams and Wire, and Reed which are future. Without Bledsoe, the defense might be giving up 58 points a game.

WG
10-08-2002, 11:36 AM
"Here is a question for ya? Is it Drew that is improving the team or the team that is improving Drew? Or a little of both?"

Well, it stands to reason that when your O improves, that your D certainly shouldn't get any worse. So unless you don't believe our O has improved over last year, which I think it is obvious that it has in spite of our running game having gotten far worse, then how do you explain the notion that our D in ALL facets has either stayed about the same, or in most cases has gotten FAR worse?

Sure, we got beaten by a good team on Sunday. We also gave up 49 points in what could have and probably should have been 70 or more.

We also LOST to the Jets, the laughing stock of the AFCE.

Just looking at things realistically 1/3 the way through the season and wondering where all the things that TD and the coaches said have gone!

If Drew weren't on this team and VP were the QB, we'd be 0-5 right now and the absolute worst team, including the Jets, in the league at or near the bottom in every category. VP could in no way have made this team work the way it is on O now.

Drew is standing between us and the scourge of the league. I'm putting quite a bit of this on the coaching! Let's just hope Drew doesn't get hurt, eh!

WG
10-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Rushing:

Last year: 105.4 YPG

This year:

79.0 YPG w/ the Jets game factored in
63.3 YPG w/ the Jets game factored out

WG
10-08-2002, 11:40 AM
How could I be so blind?!

That's marvelous!

:rolleyes:

Lori
10-08-2002, 12:23 PM
OK, if you're going to factor in/out game-by-game, play-by-play, etc., then don't forget to factor out Rob Johnson's 241 rushing yards from last year's total. Or the fact that Peeless averaged 16.2 yards last year, and -7 so far this year. Or the fact that Travis Henry has improved from 3.4 to 4.1 ypc this year, while Shawn Bryson has gone from 4.3 to 2.7.

Last year, Bills RBs averaged 81.4 yards/game on 21.7 carries/game, or 3.8 ypc. This season, it's 19.4 RB carries/game, for 76.2 yards/game and 3.93 ypc (even with Bryson's lousy average).

That said, we're damnclose (both wins in OT) to being 0-5 WITH Drew. Without him, we'd be talking about who our #1 pick in next year's draft will be....just like this time last year. So yeah, I actually agree with you on that point.

casdhf
10-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Lori
OK, if you're going to factor in/out game-by-game, play-by-play, etc., then don't forget to factor out Rob Johnson's 241 rushing yards from last year's total. Or the fact that Peeless averaged 16.2 yards last year, and -7 so far this year. Or the fact that Travis Henry has improved from 3.4 to 4.1 ypc this year, while Shawn Bryson has gone from 4.3 to 2.7.

Last year, Bills RBs averaged 81.4 yards/game on 21.7 carries/game, or 3.8 ypc. This season, it's 19.4 RB carries/game, for 76.2 yards/game and 3.93 ypc (even with Bryson's lousy average).

That said, we're damnclose (both wins in OT) to being 0-5 WITH Drew. Without him, we'd be talking about who our #1 pick in next year's draft will be....just like this time last year. So yeah, I actually agree with you on that point.

WYS:loblo:Lori

WCoastFin
10-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Wys its good to hear your thoughts on Bledsoe....He really hasnt made your team any better remember you still have to win 2 more games.....:laughter:

lordofgun
10-08-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Scott
Drew's impact has been large. But where the hell is the running game? With the roadgraters on our oline we should be able to run the ball.

The running game works when we stick with it. We simply don't run it enough.

BillsNYC
10-08-2002, 03:31 PM
cuz our qb is having success throwing the ball 400 yards a game...

TedMock
10-09-2002, 12:12 PM
I have a question because I didn't look this up yet. How many catches does Henry have and what's his average? I'm asking because it seems like a decent amount. I agree that we need to run more but if the inside run isn't open is Henry still getting touches on dump passes. Just a question, no rhyme or reason behind it.

Judge
10-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
"
Well, it stands to reason that when your O improves, that your D certainly shouldn't get any worse.

There's no logical connection. It DOESN'T stand to reason at all.

Bledsoe is the clear catalyst making this offense work. He's doing what a marquee QB is supposed to do. He also has a superior receiving corps. However, HE is the one who has improved everyone around him.

I still don't see why you're so worried about the playcalling. Why not be pass-happy? It's the way the team moves the ball best. Don't force something that doesn't work. As long as the team can run on occasion sufficiently to keep the play-action going, I'll be happy.

Judge
10-09-2002, 03:24 PM
No reply from Wys- as usual!

:skeptic:

WCoastFin
10-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Judge
No reply from Wys- as usual!

:skeptic:

Wys likes to Post 'n' Run....good technic ;)

WG
10-09-2002, 08:35 PM
Judge,

A little impatient are we? I was out working and earning some money so that my family could eat next month. Sorry! ;)

"There's no logical connection. It DOESN'T stand to reason at all."

New to the NFL are ya?!

Seems to me, the better your O, the less time your D spends on the field and therefore the less tired it becomes. Last year ToP was a HUGE issue. That has improved this year by-and-large.

But hey, I guess the conventional wisdom of all the players and coaches, both retired and currently playing/coaching, is a drop in the bucket to the vast wealth of wisdom that is contained in your little finger, eh!

You're right! It's much easier on the D when you have an offense that can't hold onto the ball much and therefore your D has to play 40 minutes!

What on earth was I thinking...!!!

:rolleyes:

And you challenge my reasoning and base of knowledge!

:lol:

BTW there Judge, not sure if you've realized it, but quite a few nationally recognized sports writers are starting to take the same positions that I've taken this past week or two. Funny how that works, isn't it. Go check out the Game Preview on ESPN. Sound familiar???

I guess they haven't got a clue either, eh!

:lol:

Sal Maiorana and Leo Roth are also on board. Go figure!

Just remember, you heard it here first! Lucky you....

:D

WG
10-09-2002, 08:38 PM
It's only a handful of posters here who don't see any issues w/ our rushing game or our D all-around!

Judge
10-09-2002, 09:39 PM
So in other words you're just parroting what the alleged "knowledgeable" national media say, Wys?!

Try some independent thinking then- the fact that the talent level on the offensive side of the ball has improved does not logically lead to a conclusion that the defense will be better. It just doesn't follow.

The Rams of a couple years ago, the Colts of last year, and this year's Bills are proving that a souped up offense doesn't necessarily mean the D will improve.

By the way- I'm not happy w/ the running game or D, either- I'm not ready to throw out the whole team b/c of it, though. And I hear you on working- sometimes my job keeps me away from posting on here too!

WG
10-09-2002, 10:33 PM
Yes. It doesn't necessarily make it better.

However, unless you can explain how it can possibly make it any worse, as I do believe our D is on just about all levels of metrics which could possibly be applied here and any which are traditionally applied, then I would concede the argument!

My point was a simple one! Don't read into it. With the improvement of the O, there is absolulely no cause for the D to have not at least been equal to what it was last year in a total debacle of a season.

WG
10-09-2002, 10:34 PM
Maybe we can get the "Henry for the Pro-Bowl" people to spin how our D is better this year than last too!

Anyone? Beuller?

WG
10-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Then there's always the "Watson doesn't suck" crowd too.

Judge
10-10-2002, 07:59 AM
Yes. It doesn't necessarily make it better.

However, unless you can explain how it can possibly make it any worse, as I do believe our D is on just about all levels of metrics which could possibly be applied here and any which are traditionally applied, then I would concede the argument!

My point was a simple one! Don't read into it. With the improvement of the O, there is absolulely no cause for the D to have not at least been equal to what it was last year in a total debacle of a season.

Let me repeat: the talent level of the offense has NOTHING to do with the talent level of the defense. I never said the D was better. In fact, I believe the talent level is WORSE than last year on D.

THAT'S what I'm calling you on- you make a logical leap of faith that doesn't exist- the vast improvement in talent at the offensive side of the ball (primarily at QB, obviously) does not directly correspond to improvement on the defense.

There IS cause for the D to perform poorly if the talent level is the same or worse than last year.

Judge
10-10-2002, 08:00 AM
Then there's always the "Watson doesn't suck" crowd too.

When are you going to acknowledge that Watson played very well on D and on ST against Oakland?

Kelly The Dog
10-10-2002, 09:49 AM
well wys, we were just as bad if not worse early in the season last year. We gave up 300 yards in the second half in the opener. The next week we gave up 550 yards to the Colts in FAR worse a defensive performance than any game this year. We got crushed worse by the Jets giving up 42 points to them. And let everyone run for 100 yards against us. Then we started to just be bad.